Strength training alternatives to 21 day fix or others like it

Options
I know my workouts lack one thing: strength training. I always have friends that do the 21 day fix or other beach body programs (or ones like it) and see results.

But, I want to do it a different way. I want to have my own strength training routines and stuff without doing the annoying videos.

Are all those random different moves in the videos necessary to see good results? Can anyone suggest the best way to go about making strength training workouts for myself that will show me good results using the same type of at home equipment?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I know my workouts lack one thing: strength training. I always have friends that do the 21 day fix or other beach body programs (or ones like it) and see results.

But, I want to do it a different way. I want to have my own strength training routines and stuff without doing the annoying videos.

Are all those random different moves in the videos necessary to see good results? Can anyone suggest the best way to go about making strength training workouts for myself that will show me good results using the same type of at home equipment?

The best way to go about designing your own program would be to learn about some fundamentals of program design but that's going to take a lot longer to do successfully than it would be to just run a pre-designed program.

Chances are (I say this based on a combination of personal experience and observation) if you don't understand fundamentals of programming you're not going to design a good program.

There's a thread in the main forums that covers a wide variety of resistance training programs -- I would start there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    You are far better off following some kind of established programming...programming your own workout takes quite a bit of knowledge. You are far more likely to end up overtraining in some areas and undertraining in other areas (the stuff you don't like doing)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    never seen the programme you referred to, or any that are like it. but going by hearsay, they sound as if they would drive me insane.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You are far better off following some kind of established programming...programming your own workout takes quite a bit of knowledge. You are far more likely to end up overtraining in some areas and undertraining in other areas (the stuff you don't like doing)

agree about this. plus, weight rooms can be overwhelming/intimidating, and one of the best ways to get over that first hurdle is to have something in hand that you're going to do even before you go in.

personally, i did stronglifts 5x5 as my intro thing. it's about as minimalist and functional as you can get, as a strength programme. the guy who 'sells' it is a douche in a big way, but the protocol itself is pretty straightforward and very solid. i just skimmed the site to get the gist, which isn't exactly his invention. and then i just took the gist to the gym with me in my head and left him and his antics behind.

form help for me came from mark rippetoe's book starting strength. after a year or so i found a trainer i really liked and joined his 'barbell club' as a once-a-week thing just to keep me on track and get the consistent form checks. everything else i picked up from the internet and from the lifting 'community'.