Calorie confusion

Options
What do you do when you go to a restaurant or eat something ( for example : a burger) and have no idea / cant find how much calories it contains? How do you log it?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Guestimate based on a generic restaurant entry in the database.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yeah just guess to the best of ability.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Guesstimate based on what is on it, then try to lower it if I think it is too high [light on sauce, ask for lettuce bun, etc].
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Guestimate based on a generic restaurant entry in the database.

This. I had the same issue with a cake the other week, so I looked up some data from store cakes (even though mine wasn't from a store) and picked the most calorific one.

(At least, that's what I did for the first slice...)
  • janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    Guesstimate based on what is on it, then try to lower it if I think it is too high [light on sauce, ask for lettuce bun, etc].

I would say the opposite actually. Even if you swapped out a few of them for lower calorie options, I would err on the higher side just in case. Say quick adding 50-100 calories more, since it's hard to accurately determine exactly how big the portion size is.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Many chain restaurants have calorie counts online. They aren't necessarily accurate, because individual chefs vary in the amount of oil, etc. that they use, but they give you an idea.
  • PixelPuff
    Options
    janekana wrote: »

I would say the opposite actually. Even if you swapped out a few of them for lower calorie options, I would err on the higher side just in case. Say quick adding 50-100 calories more, since it's hard to accurately determine exactly how big the portion size is.

I didn't say to guess lower, though? o-o Just what I personally do to make an unknown item even lower if my guestimate is even too high. You can't always leave the place, others may be with you.

Soooo I think you may have misinterpreted my post.
  • janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    Options

I didn't say to guess lower, though? o-o Just what I personally do to make an unknown item even lower if my guestimate is even too high. You can't always leave the place, others may be with you.

Yeah I know that's what you personally do. I know that swapping out normal buns with a lettuce bun would drop the calories by a good 100, but it would be hard to guess the meat and everything else on it too, that's why I suggested to still add around 50 calories to the guess just in case. I didn't suggest leaving the place either.
  • PixelPuff
    Options

Yeah I know that's what you personally do. I know that swapping out normal buns with a lettuce bun would drop the calories by a good 100, but it would be hard to guess the meat and everything else on it too, that's why I suggested to still add around 50 calories to the guess just in case. I didn't suggest leaving the place either.

... That is still guesstimating based on what is on it, which is what I said in the first place, though.

That is why I'm saying you are misreading what I typed. There is literally no "opposite" to be had of what I said, you corroborated with saying to guess the meat. Which is what is on the burger. Guesstimating it.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Use your best guess. And try not to eat out too much while trying to lose weight.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Guess and sometimes I add 1/2 portion more "just in case"

Also when ordering fries at a cafe I will see if they look like McDonalds fries or Wendy's fries and log one of those.

Basically I find something similar in the database if the restaurant doesn't have their nutrition listed on the web.

ETA - If I can visually pick apart the meal I will list by ingredients like a burrito.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I find something close and go with it. I'm also extremely careful with what I order. If I want a burger I have it, but I don't order fries.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    If the restaurant I am eating at doesn't have calories in the database, I look for a comparable chain restaurant.

Chinese : PF Changs
    Mexican: On The Border
    Italian: Olive Garden or Carrabas
    Bar Food: tGI Friday's, Chilis or Applebees

It's not infallible but it is a starting point and I agree with others, when in doubt pick a higher entry in the database and err on the safe side.
  • TavistockToad
    edited November 2016
    Options
    i go to a place called CopperTop Tavern. its like Rubys, i order a large greek salad, light on feta, no dressing ,i only eat 1 tbsp of the hummus, no bread. i guesstimate about 280 7grams fat. with a diet pop and water. if you wanna save cals, nix the dressing, go light on cheese and compare what you get to an item similar that you know the calories of.

that just sounds so sad though....

plus 280 calories is a snack not a meal...
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    lol for me its a meal. my middle has shrunk so much i feel like exploding after 300!

no, that's your eating disorder talking...