Calorie burning AIMS?

How much do you look to burn at the gym or in general day to day activities ? (If you're on here to lose weight)

Replies

• jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    I aim for 350 calories at the end of every weight session or 600 calories for a straight cardio session. But having said that I am in no way doing any form of LISS
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I have never aimed to burn a certain number of calories. I just follow whatever program I am doing and burn what I burn. For example, today I did Day 1 of a 10k training program and RunDouble calculated that as 180 calories. I just noted it and moved on.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I exercise for fitness so no calorie goal
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    edited October 2016
    jolive7 wrote: »
    I aim for 350 calories at the end of every weight session or 600 calories for a straight cardio session. But having said that I am in no way doing any form of LISS

I'm curious how you calculate these burns? It is my understanding that HRMs are not accurate for activities other than steady state cardio.

Is there another way to (at least somewhat accurately) measure/estimate this that I've missed?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member

I'm curious how you calculate these burns? It is my understanding that HRMs are not accurate for activities other than steady state cardio.

Is there another way to (at least somewhat accurately) measure/estimate this that I've missed?

For strength training? No.
  • jolive7

I am not talking about strength training? I am talking about intense cardio and/or HIIT. If I really want to I can burn 100 calories in average 6 minutes (I do feel like I am going to die, of course but that is the way I like it). Why wouldn't a HRM accurately track your calorie burn for anything other than LISS??
  • AnvilHead

I am not talking about strength training? I am talking about intense cardio and/or HIIT. If I really want to I can burn 100 calories in average 6 minutes (I do feel like I am going to die, of course but that is the way I like it). Why wouldn't a HRM accurately track your calorie burn for anything other than LISS??

Here's a very detailed explanation why: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • jolive7
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Here's a very detailed explanation why: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

If you use a combination of MFP, HRM, and the calorie reading on the machines you are going to get a pretty decent "estimation" of calories burned. If I am aiming for 350 burn I will usually go until these readings hit at least 50 calories over so it is underestimated. That article you sent is probably useful for anyone trying to estimate their calories at an athlete level or prep for a contest which I highly doubt of the OP or they would not have asked this question. This is not the debate section....

If the readings for calorie burn were so off, how would my bf% drop at my predicted and desired rate based on my calorie deficit and burn goals for my cut? I have those calorie goals for a purpose not just for funsies.

"steady state" (i.e. your article) refers to a fixed intensity - my main form of cardio is the stair master at the exact same intensity and speed for the duration of my workout which is "steady" it just isn't LISS as I mentioned above... which is low intensity..
  • AnvilHead

If you use a combination of MFP, HRM, and the calorie reading on the machines you are going to get a pretty decent "estimation" of calories burned. If I am aiming for 350 burn I will usually go until these readings hit at least 50 calories over so it is underestimated. That article you sent is probably useful for anyone trying to estimate their calories at an athlete level or prep for a contest which I highly doubt of the OP or they would not have asked this question. This is not the debate section....

If the readings for calorie burn were so off, how would my bf% drop at my predicted and desired rate based on my calorie deficit and burn goals for my cut? I have those calorie goals for a purpose not just for funsies.

"steady state" (i.e. your article) refers to a fixed intensity - my main form of cardio is the stair master at the exact same intensity and speed for the duration of my workout which is "steady" it just isn't LISS as I mentioned above... which is low intensity..

I'm not telling you what to do, I just answered your question. If you don't like the answer, pretend like you never saw it.
  • jolive7

I'm not telling you what to do, I just answered your question. If you don't like the answer, pretend like you never saw it.

Yes you did exactly what I was expecting, answered it in a way that was not correct or helpful so I will do exactly that and pretend I never saw it, as I do with most of the people on here. Cheers.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    I try to do 400-600 calories of extra when I can (which isn't hard because I'm obese and burn a lot even by simply walking). That makes dieting easier for me because I'm able to eat around 1800-2200 and still lose consistently. On long "run" days I don't really need to do any extra, on other days I usually supplement with an evening one hour long walk which burns 200-250 calories.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

I have a curious question unrelated to the topic. So I use a heart rate monitor on my long runs to make sure I don't burn out too soon. I have pinpointed that range that allows me to complete the entire run. Now my question is, at the same exact speed I notice a "creep" in heart rate upwards, where once I warm up enough to hit the low end of the range, my heart rate creeps up slowly as I run and it's at the upper end of the range (sometimes beyond) by the end of the run. I know this is normal as the body overheats, but do heart rate monitors account for that in their calorie calculations? I usually use my fitbit data for calories (which I have personalized and tweaked in relation to my weight loss to be about 95% accurate for eat-back by playing with stride length), this question is more of a curiosity.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

This. 2 short runs and a long run based on distance, not calorie burn then some resistance work so the burn is negligible and maybe a few miles on the bike.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    ...but do heart rate monitors account for that in their calorie calculations?

Some do, some don't. The ones that do, use HR to corroborate other data for calorie estimation, so it's about relative weighting of data rather than accounting for cardiac drift.
  • MeanderingMammal

If I might observe, I inferred from your previous question that you were talking about interval training, rather than steady state. The fact that it might be moderate or high intensity steady state rather than low intensity isn't particularly material to whether HR is a reliable proxy for calorie expenditure, it's the steady state vs intermittent that's the material point.

So HR is a reasonable proxy, although at higher intensities the reliability of any method of instrumenting that becomes more of an issue than anything else. If you're in reasonable shape you can sustain Lactate Threshold intensity for about an hour, and while difficult to sustain above it for that time it's achievable, although not often. An hour is about the limit for that though.

What I would say is that I rarely see anyone in the gym doing low intensity work though, that's the preserve of two very limited subsets; pre-competition bodybuilders and medical rehabilitation subjects. Most people that I see are in the moderate range, or moderate range intervals.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edena001 wrote: »
    How much do you look to burn at the gym or in general day to day activities ? (If you're on here to lose weight)

fwiw I don't, I train to my plan then eat back the fuel that I need for performance. The amount I need to refuel by will vary depending on the session. I'll rarely burn less than 600 calories in a training session, and more frequently it's in the realms of 1000 cals, once a week somewhat more than that again.

I generally work on the basis of about 100 calories per mile run.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member

You say that like it's one or the other. Large calorie burns for many people are part and parcel of endurance. (On average, a marathon is a 2,600 kCal run.)

Go Back-to-Back

A big Gran Fondo is likely to be your longest single ride of the year. With work and family schedules many riders find they can’t replicate their goal event’s mileage, time in the saddle, or kilojoule value in a single training ride. That’s normal, but one way to compensate for limited training time is to build back-to-back training blocks. If you can’t ride six hours or 3,000 kilojoules in one day, schedule two back-to-back days at 3-4 hours or 1800-2,200 kilojoules. You can even build three day blocks, but be sure to schedule two days of recovery after a block lasting three days or more.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/training-tips-for-your-first-gran-fondo