Options
2»

Replies

• mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    I've read that you only need one really heavy lifting session a month for a muscle group to maintain strength in it.

No idea where this has come from but I would say it's far from the truth especially if you focus on running in the time between lifting.

I checked my source, the ACTION personal trainer certification book page 177. It's actually only every 10- 14 days you need to work out a certain muscle group at the same intensity as you used to get to that point to maintain strength in it.
    I've heard a guy who bends nails and bolts with his hands say he does only one big nail bend per month. So, I think that's were I got mixed up.

10-14 days is not the same as once a month.

No kidding.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I've read that you only need one really heavy lifting session a month for a muscle group to maintain strength in it.

No idea where this has come from but I would say it's far from the truth especially if you focus on running in the time between lifting.

I checked my source, the ACTION personal trainer certification book page 177. It's actually only every 10- 14 days you need to work out a certain muscle group at the same intensity as you used to get to that point to maintain strength in it.
    I've heard a guy who bends nails and bolts with his hands say he does only one big nail bend per month. So, I think that's were I got mixed up.

10-14 days is not the same as once a month.

(Have to admit the nail bending gave me pause.)

I remembered Bret Contreras writing a bit about how much training you have to do to maintain strength/muscle. The answer is dependent on a variety of factors but here's the article:

https://bretcontreras.com/how-much-training-is-necessary-to-maintain-strength-and-muscle/

Good article. If you thought nail bending was just for guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5glMvo9K8Os