Lunchs? what do u all for lunch?

Options

Replies

• kelhea
    kelhea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Everyday is different for me but I usually try to have something heavy in protein (usually chicken) and then veggies (salad/carrots/broccoli) and then a starch (potato, crackers, ect)
  • chelmass
    chelmass Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was very excited about my lunch today. I feel like I had a ton of food, but it was still under 500 calories and I was so full. I'm not even sure what a good calorie goal for lunch is, but I plan on continuing with this lunch for at least a few days until I need a switch.

1 packet Tuna Creations lemon pepper (80c) mixed with 1 tablespoon mayo (90c)
    1/2 c cottage cheese (100c)
    mixed raw veggies - 5 baby carrots, 1/2 stalk celery, 2 broccoli florets, 2 sugar snap peas, 3 grape tomatoes (est 50c)
    1 white cheddar rice cake (45c) - I put the tuna on this and it was oh so good!
    1 serving veggie straws (130c) because I love me some chips but I wanted to be a little bit healthier (not much, I know, but it's the little things!) plus you get way more veggie straws than you do chips

I even checked to make sure I was doing well on the nutrition values and I'm still way under my daily allowance. Yay!
  • ClareMillsRoberts
    ClareMillsRoberts Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I often have soup, I'll make a big batch at the weekend with whatever veggies need using up - often carrot with orange or coriander or some kind of squash/pumpkin with spices. It's really easy to make as it's essentially all the veggies chopped up, fried for 5 minutes and then boiled with vegetable stock and spices/herbs until soft and then blitzed with a hand blender. Sometimes I put a dollop/splash of cream or yoghurt or coconut milk in at the end to add a little richness.

Another thing I like (for convenience as much as anything else) is crispbreads/crackers/rice cakes with different toppings - hummus, light cream cheese with smoked salmon, reduced fat mozzarella and tomato. I basically bring the component ingredients to work with me and assemble in the lunch room.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Mass cook boneless skinless chicken breast and/or thighs (bake or BBQ). Grill or stir fry some veggies. Portion out and combine into many meals. Can add carbs if desired (rice, sweet potato, potato, bread, etc).
  • ardysedwardsmcgrath
    Options
    i like the salad suggestions with different things on top.. :) thanks
  • ardysedwardsmcgrath
    Options
    thanks for the skinnytaste.com :)
  • ardysedwardsmcgrath
    Options
    ive enjoyed every1s ideas thanks! :)
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches, avocado on toast (my favourite), smoothies, leftovers from dinner the night before, toasted cheese sandwiches etc :)
  • ardysedwardsmcgrath
    Options
    i luv avocado :) yummmm
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    My standard lunch which is quick and easy to prepare in advance is rice (usually brown because I like it better), salad (usually from a dry coleslaw type mix, though this week I didn't have any so added sliced baby spinach and capsicum and grated carrot) and chilli tuna (I love Sirena brand).
    I don't add any dressing because the tuna is really spicy and it doesn't need anything else.

Today I'm having roasted cherry tomato and chicken pasta left over from last night. Sometimes I will have a toasted ham a cheese sandwich. Or soup and a boiled egg. Or other leftovers. Or a big salad with leaves, baked potato, cheese and ham or chicken if I have it. Tuna and avocado sandwiches on grainy bread are good, I might have them sometime soon once avos are back in season.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Like others I make a big salad, I have to be careful of carrots and tomato for sugar content, grilled chicken as protein, and a lite cheese stick sliced into it. I like to use sliced green salad olives for flavor. And Ken's Steak house Zesty italian is low cal with LOTS of flavor. Pickles are another option for flavor without a heavy dressing.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I look for lean protein and veggies for lunches. Sometimes I pack leftovers. Sometimes I'll make a soup and freeze in serving sizes. And, sometimes I'll take a big salad.
  • The_Ugly_One
    The_Ugly_One Posts: 23 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Someone said it above, but lunch is usually just people-fuel rather than something super-delicious that I can't wait to eat. I treat breakfast like that too on work days.

Most days, breakfast and lunch come out of a pool of the following foods: Whey protein shakes, chicken/turkey breast, string cheese, cottage cheese w/ crackers, tuna, carrots, celery, pea pods, artificial crab sticks, various hot sauces and mustards to go with most of those. All can be pre-measured and packed on Sunday night and then I mix and match to avoid getting in a rut.

1,800 calories for the day usually breaks down to 300-500 for breakfast, 300-500 for lunch, and then 800-1,200 for dinner, which is the not-just-people-fuel meal of the day that I look forward to all day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Make more dinner and have leftovers?
  • 77cooks14
    77cooks14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I find I do better with soup. I will take ground turkey, black beans, mixed veggies, and cooked brown rice, i throw in some adobo seasoning and spices . When it's cooked I put them in contain and freeze. In the morning when I'm headed for work I grab one and by lunch time it starts to defrost. I change it up week to week, different meat, different bean and veggie. It's fun to experiment. Plus my leftovers never go to waste because I throw them in the pot.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Typically I do leftovers from last night's dinner.

this, and i make a little extra for those dinners so there'll be enough left for a lunch afterwards. doesn't have to be the same day. i stash a lot of stuff in the freezer and come back to it a day or a week or whatever later. two days in a row feels sad, but it's funny how a week later last week's [whatever] is exactly what you're happy to have at lunch time.

and i transport a lot of fruit with me to work.

• ardysedwardsmcgrath
    Options
    i enjoy&like every1s idea cuz i get in a rut..i should do salads,shakes&soups at lunchs i like the idea with olives i luv those! but aren't they hi in fat?i usually always buy frozen package of stripes chicken.i hardly eat red meats.. i try to get turkey too..i think i need to try these whey protein shakes every1s always talking bout. do they taste though chalky?i like cottage cheese.. &im a big fan of beans lol id often wonder trying to do a month of just veggies fruits&beans.. no dairy or meats.. hmmm its always hard to know what to eat thats good for me. u know? yes i take alot of leftovers to work &i freeze if ive made alot .. i cant eat it the next day but like in a day or 2 or week later.. thanks every1for the great ideas! :)
  • BuffMom84
    BuffMom84 Posts: 180 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Today I ate chicken tacos. Chicken sauteed in lime juice, a little salt/pepper, crushed red pepper flakes. Corn tortillas, a little chopped onion and cilantro and a little bit of sriracha mayo. 3 tacos was less than 400 calories.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Today I had a turkey-and-cheese tomato Gemwrap with a little light mayo, baby carrots and tomato slices with hummus on the side.
  • GetFitFritch_26
    GetFitFritch_26 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually wrap low sodium lunch meat around baby swiss (I cut one slice of cheese into 3 strips) and add lots of veggies...carrots, cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas...it keeps me full and it's lower carb!