Need help gaining weight and mass

Options
My names Richard. I'm 43 years old. I need help gaining weight and muscle mass. I paint water tanks for a living. I climb anywhere between 120 to 160 feet up in the air at least four times a day. I am constantly moving whether in the air or on the ground. Usually do not take lunch. My eating habits are poor. Some days i barely eat a bite others i cant get enough. When i do eat its mostly junkfood. Please help need all the advice i can get. Thank you.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My names Richard. I'm 43 years old. I need help gaining weight and muscle mass. I paint water tanks for a living. I climb anywhere between 120 to 160 feet up in the air at least four times a day. I am constantly moving whether in the air or on the ground. Usually do not take lunch. My eating habits are poor. Some days i barely eat a bite others i cant get enough. When i do eat its mostly junkfood. Please help need all the advice i can get. Thank you.

You need to find a way to consume additional calories until your body mass starts increasing.

In order for that mass to be partially muscle mass, you need to provide a stimulus (lifting weights).

If you are having difficulty physically eating enough calories, look towards foods that are highly palatable and easy to eat a lot of. Foods higher in fat and highly palatable, and foods lower in fiber tend to be easier to eat a lot of.

You could also consider a mass gainer type of shake but I would only resort to that if you can't do it via foods.
  • tankmonk1973
    tankmonk1973 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

You need to find a way to consume additional calories until your body mass starts increasing.

In order for that mass to be partially muscle mass, you need to provide a stimulus (lifting weights).

If you are having difficulty physically eating enough calories, look towards foods that are highly palatable and easy to eat a lot of. Foods higher in fat and highly palatable, and foods lower in fiber tend to be easier to eat a lot of.

You could also consider a mass gainer type of shake but I would only resort to that if you can't do it via foods.

I really dont have time to go to gym to lift weights. We work everyday sometimes late into the night. I have to pull up cables, lift tire rollarounds up the side of the water tank.

The problem with eating is that some days i just dont want to eat. OR hardly drink anything.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I really dont have time to go to gym to lift weights. We work everyday sometimes late into the night. I have to pull up cables, lift tire rollarounds up the side of the water tank.

The problem with eating is that some days i just dont want to eat. OR hardly drink anything.

So I wouldn't be able to say with certainly whether you could gain muscle with the work that you're doing but the bottom line is that if you want to gain body weight, you have to increase your calorie intake until it exceeds the number of calories you burn.

If you don't want to eat more, I'd consider just going with some form of liquid calories. Some form of protein shake with added calories in it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

This thread can help you up your calories. But if you don't have time for the gym, it's unlike that you will gain muscle. You really do need to force your body to get stronger to have the ability to gain muscle. So you will get out of this what you put into it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    do you not have some off days/off time that you can get in some workouts...?
  • tankmonk1973
    tankmonk1973 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Unfortunately no. This type of work is day in day out. I would be interested in some strength training that I could do without weights.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Unfortunately no. This type of work is day in day out. I would be interested in some strength training that I could do without weights.

You can look at some body resistance programs like you are your own gym. You can find a link in our stickies..i have one on lifting programs.
  • macmathuna
    macmathuna Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Like ppl have said going to a gym ande training would be best but If that's off the table....
    Increasing your food and keeping active with your job if it's as physical as you say will likely see some muscle gain for a while. Adding in home workouts would get the most out of it.
    Bottom line though you need to eat. More. Make yourself have breakfast, lunch and dinner each day. Meat, whole grains healthy fats.
  • brandocalrisian
    brandocalrisian Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Replace your junk food snacks with high calorie real food. Assorted nuts work great. Sip on protein shakes all day long when u don't feel like eating. Try to consume some protein and fats every 2-3 hours throughout the day. Get a good size kettlebell and try to do 100 reps of kettlebell swings every night when u get home before hitting the showers. Try that for a month and u will see and feel the difference guaranteed!
  • brizzlar
    brizzlar Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Hit up the oats! Healthy for.you, cheap and excellent for weight gain.