Cereal

lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 2,951 Member
I am so a cereal lover and I do realize it's not the greatest thing to eat ( unless it's in moderation right) I'd love a list of a few that if I do cave for my cereal that I make sure I get a good healthy one. Suggestions?

Replies

• annemarie112769
    annemarie112769 Posts: 1 Member
    Kashi Go Lean
  • lin7604
    Good.. that's one I buy already :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    shredded wheat, raisin bran.
  • lin7604
    I love raisin bran but its high in sugar and carbs
  • lynn_glenmont
    lin7604 wrote: »

Nothing wrong with carbs. If you have special dietary needs, you should specify in your post when you ask for suggestions. I consider 5 g protein and 7 g fiber for 190 calories is a pretty profile for a cereal that's actually tasty.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Whatever you choose, might I suggest adding unsweetened vanilla cashew milk instead of regular? Only 25 calories per cup and pretty great on flavor. It's my new favorite option for keeping my numbers in check. I'm using it for my protein shakes and everything I'd add milk to these days.

Oh, and please, worry about the calories, not the carbs.
  • lin7604

Nothing wrong with carbs. If you have special dietary needs, you should specify in your post when you ask for suggestions. I consider 5 g protein and 7 g fiber for 190 calories is a pretty profile for a cereal that's actually tasty.

No dietary needs, I just tend to leave most of my carbs for dinner ( pasta, rice, etc) the more the better :)

• lynn_glenmont
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Whatever you choose, might I suggest adding unsweetened vanilla cashew milk instead of regular? Only 25 calories per cup and pretty great on flavor. It's my new favorite option for keeping my numbers in check. I'm using it for my protein shakes and everything I'd add milk to these days.

I don't understand why people substitute a drink whose calories come from carbs (nut milks) for a drink whose calories come at least partially from protein (skim milk or low-fat milk) to make a protein shake.
  • lin7604

I've never tried cashew milk.... I don't like almond milk and will use coconut in shakes etc but not to drink or in cereal, yuck. So not sure how cashew will taste but I'll try it.

I have to watch carbs too as that's my weak spot! Big time! I get the best results when I keep them at bay and like to keep carbs for dinner. So I try to get more protein, fiber based items for breakfast.

• lin7604

I don't understand why people substitute a drink whose calories come from carbs (nut milks) for a drink whose calories come at least partially from protein (skim milk or low-fat milk) to make a protein shake.
    You totally confused me, lol. I think for me I went to coconut milk cause I needed something creamier and some flavour to my shakes. I think others just do it because it's lower cals and that's all.
  • lynn_glenmont

You totally confused me, lol. I think for me I went to coconut milk cause I needed something creamier and some flavour to my shakes. I think others just do it because it's lower cals and that's all.

sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone, since I'm already confused -- I was talking about the other poster's suggestion of cutting out real food (dairy milk) that has protein and then supplementing with ... protein?
  • lin7604

sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone, since I'm already confused -- I was talking about the other poster's suggestion of cutting out real food (dairy milk) that has protein and then supplementing with ... protein?

I assume it's either they can't drink reg milk or they want the lower cals with it
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Cheerios oat cereal, the plain kind, with cashew milk.

Oatmeal. It's a hot cereal, but easy to make and keeps me full for hours. I eat the unsweetened instant and add a sliced apple.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member

I've never tried cashew milk.... I don't like almond milk and will use coconut in shakes etc but not to drink or in cereal, yuck. So not sure how cashew will taste but I'll try it.

I have to watch carbs too as that's my weak spot! Big time! I get the best results when I keep them at bay and like to keep carbs for dinner. So I try to get more protein, fiber based items for breakfast.

Cashew milk is delicious. It's also thicker than almond milk. I prefer cashew to both coconut and almond milk.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    I love this stuff from Aldi Fit&Active - Low Fat Multigrain Granola
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Special K Protein Cereal (flakes) with 2% milk.. the 2% milk adds more protein.. not worried about the carbs cause the cereal has carbs whats a few more?

I do unsweetened cashew milk in my protein shakes as these can get quite caloric..

• steplaj
    steplaj Posts: 586 Member
    I also like the Special K Cereals - I get the ones with fruit and/or add fresh fruit such as strawberries or blueberries... My weakness is the sugar, but as long as I track it and keep it in check, it's all good!
  • lin7604
    Special k I used to love and eat all the time then they changed it. The flakes are triple the size now....
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    I love muslie. I think that's how it's spelt. It's not a brand more of a type.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    I love me some cereal and I'm kind of a purest in the sense that I don't like sugared ones. My faves are the orig Cheerios, Rice Krispies, any and all Chex and Corn Flakes. If I'm going for some sweetness, I'll pick up a box of Quaker Oatmeal Squares.