Working out for weight loss

Options
ariela569
ariela569 Posts: 22 Member
edited October 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I know that working out is good for the mind, body and soul. It is a great stress reliever and helps you stay healthy and energised for the day and the long run. But what's more effective for weight loss? Putting your energy and effort into shorter workouts v longer less intense workouts?
Your thoughts ✌️️

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Controlling your calorie intake is what's most effective for weight loss. Weight is lost in the kitchen, not the gym.
  • ariela569
    Options
    Hmmm, I appreciate your reply, but that wasn't the question.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    exercise wont make you loose weight its cico any good exercise 5days a week at least an hour is good do what you enjoy
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Weight loss requires a person to expend more calories than they ingest each day. Your question is unanswerable because it is vague and leaves out how many calories are being burned via either exercise option mentioned as well as how many calories the sample person we are looking at burns at other times during the day and how much that person is eating and how often s/he does the exercise in question.
  • ariela569
    Options
    Relevant! thanks
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Controlling your calorie intake is what's most effective for weight loss. Weight is lost in the kitchen, not the gym.

Well said.

• IM_LA11
    IM_LA11 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Ariela569,

I'm by no means an expert, but I've recently found success with combining short, intense workouts (such as HIIT) alongside healthy eating. I used to do a lot of longer workouts (such as 60+ mins on a bike/cross trainer etc), and I did lose weight, but not as much as I have lost doing short, intense workouts.

Good luck, and like you said, any exercise is good for the mind and body!
  • ariela569
    Options
    Thanks for your prospective, great advise.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit creates weight loss.
    Weight lifting creates better body composition.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit creates weight loss.
    Weight lifting creates better body composition.

This^

Hiit is all the rage now.....Hiit or Hype? Lots of people fall on the side of hype.

Strength training (not a big calorie burner) helps you retain a larger % of existing lean muscle mass while eating at a deficit. A moderate deficit and adequate protein helps also.

I'm more interested in the shape of my body than the number on the scale.