How to do i deal witg the volume of food?

Options
So im on a 1500 cal a day. And i have a clean food thing happening. So i mostly eat fruit vegetables and meats. I have cut pretty much everything else out of my diet. But what im struggling with is the amount of food i need to eat to hit my calorie goals. Its crazy like im always eating but i still fall short everyday. any ideas on how to cope with this?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Add in some calorie dense foods? Cook with oils, use oily dressings, but butters, avocado. Have a treat, chocolate or ice cream or something. There's nothing wrong with those foods, they'll contribute to hitting your nutritional needs and are tasty!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yes. You need those high carb, high fat, calorie dense foods. To lose weight, all you needed to do was reduce them a little. By cutting them out completely, you've made it very difficult to get the energy you need from your food. So you need to reintroduce them in sensible portions. Start including pasta, rice, potatoes or bread with your meals. Put some butter on your veg. Sprinkle a bit of grated cheese. Eat meat with a little fat on it (keep the skin on that chicken!). Dip things in mayo. Have dessert every now and then.

It's just a question of not lurching from one extreme to another. The right approach is in the middle somewhere.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Eat fattier cuts of meat and put some butter on your veggies.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Yes. You need those high carb, high fat, calorie dense foods. To lose weight, all you needed to do was reduce them a little. By cutting them out completely, you've made it very difficult to get the energy you need from your food. So you need to reintroduce them in sensible portions. Start including pasta, rice, potatoes or bread with your meals. Put some butter on your veg. Sprinkle a bit of grated cheese. Eat meat with a little fat on it (keep the skin on that chicken!). Dip things in mayo. Have dessert every now and then.

It's just a question of not lurching from one extreme to another. The right approach is in the middle somewhere.

This.

/endthread
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    So im on a 1500 cal a day. And i have a clean food thing happening. So i mostly eat fruit vegetables and meats. I have cut pretty much everything else out of my diet. But what im struggling with is the amount of food i need to eat to hit my calorie goals. Its crazy like im always eating but i still fall short everyday. any ideas on how to cope with this?

Elimination diets..........done my share of those over the years.

My problem with these types of diets is they don't teach me what I need to know for maintenance. So I just end up doing another "diet" again.

I agree with previous posters. Find a middle ground.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Nuts are as clean as any other food. They are also high calorie and healthy. Eat some nuts. Unless you have a nut allergy, of course.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    ice cream. if I had that much to spare, I would eat the *kitten* out of some ice cream.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    lasagna
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    Banana
    Avocado
    Potato- white or sweet
    Rice
    Nuts and seeds
    Coconut
    Less lean cuts of meats
    Tuna, salmon
    Oils, butter
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You gained weight by eating more than your maintenance calories so how can you struggle to eat less? Food cannot be "clean" or "healthy" so just eat smaller portions of any food you want.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like others said, include more calorie dense foods. I don't know what "clean" means to you or what it's importance is, but higher fat foods are the key here: if you eat dairy, use full fat, eat nuts and seeds, avocado is great, olives are great, higher fat cuts of meat or not skinless (less processed, actually), and cook things in butter or olive oil or coconut oil and use oil in dressings, things like that.

I also think lots of whole food starches and grains and legumes would qualify as "clean" under most definitions (I don't really think "clean" means anything, though) and are more calorie dense than non starchy veg, and same with many fruits.
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You NEED healthy fats in your diet. Don't take them out. Drizzle olive oil on your veggies and roast them! Full fat salad dressing is usually a healthier option than light or fat free. 1500 calories is easily split into 5 300 calorie chunks. I call bs if you say you can't possibly fit 300 calories into your belly. Quinoa, beans, and rice are all quite high calorie with very little volume.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Do you plan on eating this way for the rest of your life? If not, add back on the foods you like, just less of them. I've lost 45 lbs so far eating pie, ice cream, candy in the evenings (not all in one day). I eat bacon or sausage every morning with eggs. Only thing I have cut out is soda because I prefer to eat my calories (I'll drink diet of I want the carbonation). That is something I can totally live without though. If you enjoy eating the way you are, add in things like avocado, butters, nuts... There is no reason to make this process miserable:)
  • gabbyo23
    gabbyo23 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with people who ask these questions........posts about finding it hard to eat enough? Really?

You didn't become overweight by eating air and celery sticks. YOu know how to eat more, otherwise you wouldn't be in a situation where your trying to lose weight.

If you want to meet your calorie goals just have a chocolate bar or something for goodness sake!!! A bar of cchocolate is around 225--350 calories, problem solved :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    gabbyo23 wrote: »
    I really struggle with people who ask these questions........posts about finding it hard to eat enough? Really?

You didn't become overweight by eating air and celery sticks. You know how to eat more, otherwise you wouldn't be in a situation where your trying to lose weight.

If you want to meet your calorie goals just have a chocolate bar or something for goodness sake!!! A bar of chocolate is around 225--350 calories, problem solved :)

I'm sure she does know how to eat more. But there is so much crappy dieting info out there. "Eat clean," "eat fewer carbs," and my personal favorite (from the early 1980's) "eat low fat." Even now, low fat wont go away.

How many times have I seen a low carb & low fat post (doh!). So much crappy information leads to needlessly restrictive diets.