How do YOU stop late night cravings?

Options

Replies

• wfn1955
    wfn1955 Posts: 1
    Options
    eat turkey, cottage cheese.. they will fill you up and help you lose fat. Also drink water before going to bed. Fills you up.
  • JellyButter
    JellyButter Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I just drink water or green tea
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I love eating at night, I save a lot of my calories for night time so I can have frozen yogurt with fruit or popcorn.
  • kenzie0884
    kenzie0884 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't. I intentionally plan my day with a night time snack. There are recent studies that show that eating at night does not make you fat. Just watch your calories, not the time of day. :)
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I eat. Plain and simple. I hate waking up in the middle of the night grabbing the first thing I see just because I wanted to save some calories. But if it's just bored munchy cravings, I grab a glass of water and get out of the kitchen.
  • SashaxSashax
    Options
    I find water makes me sooo hungry, it is cold and slops about in my tummy making me feel more empty. I have low cal hot chocolate and some bar like a healthy peanut and chocolate covered cereal bar or something yummy for under 150 cals x
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Maybe this was mentioned, but for some reason brushing my teeth when I have a craving helps limit or eliminate it...
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast. Or I should say, my breakfast is at lunch time, my lunch closer to dinner, and my dinner later in the evening. Timing is everything for me. I'm not hungry first thing in the morning, but I am at night, so I just do what works best for my body.

This!
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If you have ALWAYS nibbled at night, changing that will be really difficult. I know myself!

Previously I would have dinner at 10-ish ( when my partner returns from work ) and then we'd both nibble sweets and crisps until the wee hours!

So recently I've simply been eating a very small lunch, a small ( 600 calorie or so ) dinner and then by the time he comes home he makes his dinner and I'll usually join him with a small snack ( say a Weight Watchers Digestive ) and then I'm off to bed early.

Starving myself in 2009 gave me an awful habit...waking up the in the middle of the night craving sugar like I'll DIE without it. Back then, I'd simply make a sugary tea then go back to bed. But as Im eating properly agan, for the past year or so in particular, I tend to just grab a sweet and wolf it down in seconds in the middle of the night. Most mornings, I see the wrappers and have no memory of doing it! Terrible.

\Waking up wanting a sweet still an issue. But as of the past 2 weeks, despite waking up for my sugar rush, I haven't bailed yet. I simply log on here and remind myself of how important it is not to give in. Maybe my body will adjust in time.
  • nikkayelizabeth
    Options
    I usually drink water - that fills me up. If not, have something light - a bit of popcorn, fruit, light yogurt. It's not the worst thing in the world if you get hungry at night, just be mindful of what you're eating. And if you crave something, even just having a bite of it can be enough to satisfy.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have started weighing daily in the AM and this is what has helped me, seriously. If I eat desserts and snacks, it will show on the scale (for me) in the AM. I chew gum to keep me busy at night.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    There's this thing called "taking my happy *kitten* to sleep" I discovered awhile back mid-diet.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I always save 100-200 Calories at night for my nighttime snacking.

I like my Dannon Light and Fit Coconut Vanilla yogurt with 1 low fat graham cracker crushed over it. Taste like a dessert

I eat every 3 hours even if it is just a snack.
    So I don't get too hungry

Hope this helps.
    Also Drink your 8 glasses of water.
  • Mariposa_Lily
    Mariposa_Lily Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Keep small, healthy snacks on hand. For example, my local store sells 100 calorie mini-cliff bars, 100 calorie packs of nuts, and 100 calorie bags of microwave popcorn. Kashi granola bars are around 140 calories. Two stalks of celery with a Tbsp of peanut butter is 110 calories. A half cup of frozen yogurt is around 100 calories. Mini bags of baked Doritos have 90 calories.

Can you tell I know my small snacks? My hubby is a night owl, which means I'm often up late, too. And, if I'm not in bed by 11:30, my tummy will actually start to growl, and I can't sleep with a rumbly tummy. So, I eat what I'm craving--sweet, or salty, and often crunchy. I just try to keep it small.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I keep enough calories so that I can take a snack to bed with me...... Best of Luck
  • phechan3
    phechan3 Posts: 60
    Options
    I usually have a small snack sometime between 10pm-1am. I still count it for the same day even if it's past midnight. I'm a late to sleep, late to rise sort of person so this schedule works for me.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Eat adequate protein, carbs and fat throughout the day.
    Eliminate processed foods
    Get adequate sleep each night
    Hydrate
    Plan a treat each week
    Schedule a re-feed day
    ... And when all fails sugar free gum and a litre of water until craving passes... Or have un-planned treat and adjust
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I used to be a late night binger. Because I mostly work out in the evenings and get home for dinner late, I allow myself a lot more calories in the evening - often up to 1000, for dinner and snacks after dinner. I usually stop snacking around 10pm, and then drink a cup of tea instead if I still feel like eating (I usually don't). Eating late at night and eating more has had no impact on my weight loss. A late night snack for me is usually a couple of squares of raw chocolate and some frozen yoghurt.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Okay, in the summer this is my number one problem. I ate way over my calorie goal today because I have to add all my night eating from last night,to today. I want to know how you all deal with it. Maybe even how you don't get so hungry at night anyways.

I brush my teeth. Then I know that if I eat, I will have to brush my teeth again.
  • kittycatmeowmeow
    kittycatmeowmeow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have now replaced my late night eating with a new habit of having a hot cup of tea or if im feeling really munchy, a milo :)