measurements

Options
I see a lot of protions measured by cups, instead of ounces or grams. In general, does this mean 8 ounces? I mean, are people pouring spagetti into a measuring cup, or weighing it. Same thing with stuff like tuna or chicken salad. I try to weigh my food as much as possible, or use package nutritional info. I can see cups being a measurement for liquids, but that's about it.

Replies

• CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I actually use cups to measure just about everything. It's not always spot on but it does OK.
    Weighing is usually the best way to know exactly how much you're eating.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I never measure food in cups, I just weigh everything on my trusty kitchen scales.
  • feverscratch
    feverscratch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh everything too. But the portions in the diary app often reference cups as opposed to ounces. I still would like to know if that should only be taken as a measure of volume, or, if it represents 8 ounces.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh everything too. But the portions in the diary app often reference cups as opposed to ounces. I still would like to know if that should only be taken as a measure of volume, or, if it represents 8 ounces.

I never choose those foods that have the cup measurements. I will create an entry into the food database if there is no other option and enter the nutrition details from the packaging.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Liquids I will either weigh on the scales or use cups or measuring spoons. Everything else is always weighed out.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to wade through the entries or broaden the search to find the foods that use grams, etc...but as _Di_ said, if I don't find one, I'll make one.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I've only been here 3 months and I don't have a kitchen scale yet so I measure everything in cups or spoons for now. I'm losing 2+#/week and I have a long way to go, but it's working for me so far. At some point when I hit a plateau I will get a scale & measure my food more accurately. Until then I figure a cup is volume, not weight, and yes, I measure out spaghetti, potato salad, yogurt, cereal, etc. in 1 cup, 1/2 cup, or 1/4 cup measuring cups.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I've only been here 3 months and I don't have a kitchen scale yet so I measure everything in cups or spoons for now. I'm losing 2+#/week and I have a long way to go, but it's working for me so far. At some point when I hit a plateau I will get a scale & measure my food more accurately. Until then I figure a cup is volume, not weight, and yes, I measure out spaghetti, potato salad, yogurt, cereal, etc. in 1 cup, 1/2 cup, or 1/4 cup measuring cups.

When you get one, be prepared to be a bit shocked...lol. I remember people telling me that and I was like, "Eh" but wow. For example I scooped out 2 tablespoons of hummus and then weighed it. Came out to weigh more like 3.5 tablespoons worth of it. Cereal the same. I scooped out a cup and when I weighed it, came out to more than what a cup would have been.

ETA: Anyone that might be lurking, if you are wondering about cost, food scales can be $15-30 and you can find them at Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Amazon, etc.