So, is housework considered exercise or is it not?

Options

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I believe that if it induces a sweat and it's outside of your usual routine, you can count it.

by this logic, having the flu is exercise.

pretty sure i'm one flu away from my goal weight if that's the case.

lol

i'm kicking this diet into high-gear *licks all the handles on the train*
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    sure is, I sweat like a pig doing it all,
  • knitjogread
    Options
    I don't care what other people choose to do. But someone created a post asking for opinions, so they got opinions.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I personally don't log any excercise (I don't think it counts strength training anyway). Monitoring your weight consistently is a better indicator of how many calories you're over or under.
  • technobunny
    technobunny Posts: 131
    Options
    I believe that if it induces a sweat and it's outside of your usual routine, you can count it.

lol

hahaha not to mention all the vomiting we'll be doing...we'll be "fit" in no time!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    nope
  • clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'd like to mention when I was in college, I cleaned three houses a week one summer. I lost 15 pounds. This was her I was young, fit and really didn't need to lose weight. I think I was burning some calories
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Why do people care what other people log it doesn't effect you.? If it works for them great if it doesn't work there problem not yours.

You're right. It doesn't effect me. But everyone has opinions.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

lol

hahaha not to mention all the vomiting we'll be doing...we'll be "fit" in no time!

oh, you mean my ab routine?

hell yeah us!

tumblr_m61utx1PGM1rqfhi2o1_500.gif
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I don't count housework, but I do count yard work because my yard is a huge project, shoveling dirt and moving plants I know I'm burning calories, even then I only add 1/2 the time I'm actually out there.
  • xmeganxtarax
    Options
    Exercise, examples: Walking (and not to and from the kitchen) biking, swimming, tennis, weights, rollerblading, jump-roping, etc.

NOT exercise, examples: Washing dishes, folding underwear, chopping onions, boiling a pan of water, putting 3 pairs of socks into a dresser drawer, walking down aisle 5 at Wal-mart while pushing a cart.

so ...... :glasses:

^^THIS.
  • clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes. If you work hard it is exercise. If it is not part of your daily routine,it is exercise.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    LOL- love the if you start losing weight too fast count it comment
  • technobunny
    technobunny Posts: 131
    Options
    Only on MyFitnessPal have I seen people consider cleaning and food preparation to be "exercise."

HaHa! Really.

I've seen people log standing as exercise...

I've seen someone log over 1k calories for 360 minutes of driving.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Why do people care what other people log it doesn't effect you.? If it works for them great if it doesn't work there problem not yours.

If you're wondering why people are giving opinions... it's because the OP asked for them.
  • MsGuMama
    MsGuMama Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would count clean as an exercise 1 time out of every 2 weeks but it entails about 4-5 hours of cleaning at a fast pace and i live where it is about 85 degrees and 80% humidity. I will bust butt non stop for ATLEAST 4 hours keeping up a sweat but I would only log 1 hour of cleaning for exercise (25% of actual work done). Why? Because I clean to the point of exhaustion (a lil crazy OCD scrubbing an all tile house and reorganize everything every 2 weeks) but I cannot see logging 4 hours no matter how hard i worked which is why i will only log 25% of the time just to give me a little Hurrah for hard work.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    yup
    I put mine under
    cleaning- light
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Anything that raises my heart rate from the norm over a sustained period of time, I log.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Only on MyFitnessPal have I seen people consider cleaning and food preparation to be "exercise."

its ridiculous to log cooking dinner or vacuuming??

I would think that these activities are already factored in. If someone were to start logging all of these little things and eat back the calories burned from them it could have an effect on their weight loss especially since MFP tends to overestimate calorie burn.
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I do NOT count housework as exercise.
    I only count purposeful exercise like swimming, running, fast walking (not including a commute or to meetings), lifting weights, doing workout videos, etc..
    I also do not count easy/hatha yoga or ab workouts. I give myself 1 calorie burned for these just so I can log them.
    I would probably count spring or fall yard clean up or something like shoveling if I was really getting my heart rate up there.