New weight loss journey-injuries?

Options
I've been attending fitness classes and seeing great results. I have over 100 pounds to lose, but I'm having a hard time keeping up with the classes due to joint pain, foot pain, bursitis ect. Does anyone who's been through that first hump with weight loss have any suggestions to keep going through the pain and injuries? I don't want to push myself to greater injury, but I also don't want to fall off the wagon because it's too painful.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What kind of class is this? You likely need to do modified moves or regressions for the exercises. If we have a better idea of what you are doing, we may have some suggestions.

Also, I'll throw this out there--walking is great exercise and is low impact. I always highly recommend it to beginners who are able :)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i think my max excess weight was around 30 pounds, but i have rheumatoid arthritis and my body doesn't like impact either. i would say modify.

i guess it's psychologically easier to draw lines when you have a 'disease', but the principle is the same regardless of why your body's not ready for you to do stuff. catching injuries early and nipping them in the bud is a smart move, so go you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Talk to the instructor about your injuries and limitations and ask for modifications. You need to protect your body and your injuries and not cause more. You won't fall off the wagon if you modify appropriate to your abilities and restrictions. I've been working out for 2 1/2 years and still have to avoid or modify numerous exercises. You just have to get used to the idea in your head.
    148 lbs lost
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lorr - talk to the instructor. You shouldn't be injuring yourself just to keep up with the class. The instructor should be offering modifications anyway! If it's something like spin however, ask the instructor to check your set up, it could be bad posture or alignment causing the issue, especially if you're clipped in.

Or slow down, ease off, you may be doing too much. Speak to an instructor or have a couple of sessions with a PT to see if you're overdoing it or doing it wrong (posture, technique etc).

I've been going to the gym for years, doing sports for years but sometimes my posture, alignment, technique or set up is terrible and i can't spot it.

I'd also suggest going to see a sports chiropractor to make sure you've not got an underlying issue causing the pain you're experiencing. I have a bad knee which causes me issues usually when i run... oh no i don't, i've got a bad lower back; which misaligns my hips by 1cm causing my right knee to be sore cos the leg is 'shorter', to compensate for this i collapse my torso on the right side when running causing back pain and the off-set impact on my knee causes my joint to rub! And my squats are lopsided. I also have useless glutes, all my power is in my thighs, kettlebells are bloody hard! Weird things you find out from chiro and pt sessions.

Don't carry on with an injury until you're sure it won't become permanent if you continue. My permanent, recurring injuries are minor injuries (muscle tears etc) from secondary school sports, i'm coming up to 40 y/o. They impact everyday life (including sleeping) as well as all my current sports.

Don't ignore it, it's not worth it. Speak to instructor, find mods; sports chiro, get it sorted.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I second seeing someone. I put up with foot pain until it became unbearable. Then took 6 months off running as I knew what the issue was. I changed shoes etc etc. Anyway since I was pain free on a day to day basis I started walking again and paid for it the next day.

Finally went and saw a podiatrist, it was hard to answer questions about when it started/ was there a trigger? Given i was once again pretty pain free after a few days recovery. Strapping then compression sock for a week followed by orthotics or exercise and compression sock daily. Am able to walk for a long period and only have mild discomfort the next day, even went for a very short run.

I probably could have had a much shorter injury period if I'd seen someone straight away since it has been a relatively easy fix and maybe I wouldnt have gone backwards in my weight loss journey as I kinda lost track of everything when I couldnt exercise. I did know what the issue was and try self treatment most of which the podiatrist would have also done but those couple of extra steps made a huge difference.
  • brandiwyliemoore
    brandiwyliemoore Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I saw my doctor and was diagnosed with arthritis due to carrying excess weight. He gave me cortisone shots and told me no jogging, ever. Instead I take aqua Zumba classes at my local Y. It has the same intensity as land Zumba without the joint stress.

Go see your doctor, the cure could be as simple as a cortisone shot, or she may order physical therapy for you.
  • AwkwardSprinkle
    AwkwardSprinkle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a variety of classes, the gym I go to, Boost Fitness, has a different fitness class everyday. They have a yoga class, kickboxing, power lifting, cardio-step, spin, and Zumba. Las week I took the yoga class, kickboxing, and power lifting. After the power lifting, my knee was really swollen. I have knee issues to begin with, and the solution is always LOSE WEIGHT. It's very frustrating to start on a new weight loss program and then be out of commission for something in which the remedy is weight loss. Round and round we go. Anyways, I think tomorrow I'll go in and talk to the instructor, there are lots of lunges and squats and jumps that probably put too much stress on my knee. I've just been avoiding working out all together since the swelling started, but then yesterday I went for a walk, and now it's worse today. I'm hoping it's not anything crazier than what it already is (arthritis, loose bone fragments, damaged ACL...) but I'm going to keep on trucking I guess! The sports chiropractor is a good idea as well, my PCP only see's fat and not possibility of other things that are going on.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm taking a variety of classes, the gym I go to, Boost Fitness, has a different fitness class everyday. They have a yoga class, kickboxing, power lifting, cardio-step, spin, and Zumba. Las week I took the yoga class, kickboxing, and power lifting. After the power lifting, my knee was really swollen. I have knee issues to begin with, and the solution is always LOSE WEIGHT. It's very frustrating to start on a new weight loss program and then be out of commission for something in which the remedy is weight loss. Round and round we go. Anyways, I think tomorrow I'll go in and talk to the instructor, there are lots of lunges and squats and jumps that probably put too much stress on my knee. I've just been avoiding working out all together since the swelling started, but then yesterday I went for a walk, and now it's worse today. I'm hoping it's not anything crazier than what it already is (arthritis, loose bone fragments, damaged ACL...) but I'm going to keep on trucking I guess! The sports chiropractor is a good idea as well, my PCP only see's fat and not possibility of other things that are going on.

My husband lost 65 pounds and still cannot do lunges, squats are modified and def cannot do jumps and if he does he looks funny doing them :)

So weight loss may or may not help totally. He he keeps trucking so you too keep trucking and perhaps look into modification or building up strength otherwise that will help you with exercises.. Build on it slowly cause you certainly should not be exercising that is causing injury or continuing to be painful perhaps on any "itis" and current limitations you already have..
  • RemarkablyUnremarkable
    Options
    Oh I can so relate! I am a hot mess lol! I have fibro,hashimotos and psoriatic arthritis so most of me just plain hurts :/ I say start slow, heck even 5 minutes completed is a step in the right direction. I started a month ago with literally 5 minutes in the treadmill lol and built up through the month. Now I am up to an hour and on my non flare up days I can do a hour on my treadmill or until my joints start to hurt then I get on my recumbent bike. Just do your best and push yourself slowly. You will get there maybe a little slower than some but that's ok! Be sure to stretch and stay hydrated and all that good stuff too :) You got this!
  • AwkwardSprinkle
    AwkwardSprinkle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: Turns out it wasn't my knee! It's my hamstring. I have a nasty pull I guess. The swelling around my knee is compensating for the hamstring injury so I'm told. I ended up taking your advice and going to the class yesterday anyways. I told the instructor in the beginning and she told me to put the weights down when I squat or lunge and I made it through without pain! Well...my shoulders are sore from the brutal workout but that's about it. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and support! Please feel free to add me as a friend on MFP!