Resetting metabolism

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    A quick few thoughts about reverse diets since Dan mentioned them.

A lot of people misunderstand the mechanics of what they're meant to do since, in my experience, they're not explained very clearly.

A lot of people who don't need to be eating at 1200 calories start off dieting at 1200 calories. Over time, their bodies adjust to eating at that level. Their energy levels plummet and several key hormones drop. They often stall out in weight loss.

What a lot of people come away from reading about reverse dieting end up believing is that they need to eat more to begin losing weight again.

That's not how weight loss works. That's not how reverse dieting works.

Reverse dieting is a controlled readdition of caloric intake, that over time will also bring up your energy levels which will increase either your NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) or your exercise performance. There's a net effect on calories in/out with reverse dieting, because the increase in calories in results in an increase in calories out.

What a reverse diet does is resets the level at which a dieter needs to be dieting and exercising. If you were dieting and performing at a sub-optimal rate at 1200, you can potentially reverse diet (if you meet the criteria) up to a higher calorie level and perform more optimally during exercise and move more during the day (you likely won't be aware of this) and lose weight on more calories.

It's not a magic bullet to eat more and lose weight.

Reverse diets are a bit of an old thing now. Most of the well known "experts" (Layne Norton etc), have come to the realization that one does not need to slowly reverse to maintenance. Just eat at maintenance (-10% if you have been dieting for a long time), and be done with it.

Yeah, I know. There are people that are afraid of the scale jump from glycogen replenishment, so they can do the reverse diet thing.

There are also people who can do what I suggested who have been dieting at too aggressive a deficit.

I've just seen too many posts on this forum about "metabolic damage" and people who think they started losing more because they ate more and wanted to explain how the whole process of reverse dieting worked when you were using it in the context of still being in a deficit.

Well there are people who do eat more and lose more but it's largely in part to subsequent increases in EE and compliance and provides for a more balanced approach. The issue with people thinking eating more will always results in slow weight loss is it assumes that TDEE is constant, which it is not. I went from 1800 to 2300 and saw those more consistent results. That additional 500 calories could have helped me increase NEAT, TEA and potentially RMR but since I haven't had a scan, it's harder to prove the later.

Side note, I do think diet breaks (controlled one) can be particularly healthy, especially from a psychological perspective.

I said as much -- regarding upping calorie intake increasing EE -- in my initial post on reverse dieting.

I agree on diet breaks. I have one planned starting with Thanksgiving.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    By research do you mean reading things online on .com and .org websites?

"Resetting your metabolism" is not a thing....it's really not that complicated you don't need to overthink it. Count your calories, eat less than you require to maintain...lose weight.
  • jaspannu
    jaspannu Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    May be you need to add 1 or 2 cheat days (Change days in week not always weekend) in your diet routine. it will make you metabolism confuse. Your body will not go into starving state and you will keep on loosing with controlled diet..

Also make sure you do not do same kind of exercise every day. All body needs A change.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    jaspannu wrote: »
    May be you need to add 1 or 2 cheat days (Change days in week not always weekend) in your diet routine. it will make you metabolism confuse. Your body will not go into starving state and you will keep on loosing with controlled diet..

Also make sure you do not do same kind of exercise every day. All body needs A change.

Your metabolism cannot be "confused". It doesn't think, it simply reacts/responds in a given way to what is put into your body.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    You can however reset your leptin.
  • leanjogreen18
    Options
    Hey leave chakras out of it:).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    You can however reset your leptin.

I think replenish would more aptly describe what happens.

Your various metabolic processes cannot be confused.

However, periodic diet breaks of eating at maintenance (what you're calling "cheat days") are a good idea to bring up certain hormone levels.

• Aaron_K123
    Options

how about crystals?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

how about crystals?

Do they taste good? And are they nutritious?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

facepalm
  • leanjogreen18
    Options
    Anything peace loving hippies value is off limits.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    oh I forgot to mention make sure its organic non-GMO juice otherwise chemikillz and toxins will ruin your health and make you fat.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Not appreciating the trolls like it was such an uninformed stupid question. Thought thats what the weight loss HELP thread was for. If you dont want to help gtfo.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Not appreciating the trolls like it was such an uninformed stupid question. Thought thats what the weight loss HELP thread was for. If you dont want to help gtfo.

Me thinks you need to lighten up. Your post has been taken seriously and addressed. These trolls you refer to are some of the most helpful people on here.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Cheat days increase your calorie intake, and when you're not losing weight increasing calories is a really bad idea. Besides this, there is no confusing your metabolism, and starvation mode as to ordinary dieters is a myth.

There is nothing wrong with doing the same exercise every day as long as you enjoy it.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited November 2016
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Well, resetting metabolism is woo...it isn't real, it isn't something you can do. Your biochemistry does not have a reset button you can press by eating X but not Y or eating Z number of calories. So I guess I can gtfo but there isn't really anything to say to this question. No one has "done this" because there is no such thing. The only thing that would tell you it was a thing would be .com websites trying to sell you on something so I'm not sure what you mean by "research" it.

If you want to lose weight figure out how many calories you maintain at and then eat less than that or increase your activity level to raise the number of calories you require above the amount you intake. That is it. No need to over-complicate it with resets, or detoxes, or crystals or anything else like that.

I mock it because it is worth mocking, people taking this *kitten* seriously is why is sticks around as long as it does. Understand I am not mocking you, I am mocking the idea of a metabolism "reset"....that doesn't define you personally its just a concept. I mean what would that even mean really? I have absolutely no beef with you personally nor any reason to doubt your sincerity. Metabolism reset on the other hand, that is some dumb b.s. you'd be best off ignoring the ads and whatever product they want to sell you.

I'm not a troll, I just don't tolerate woo. You want to lose weight, I can help you there...you want to "reset your metabolism"...I have no freaking clue how you would do that. If thats really what you care about I suppose I'll leave. I'm sure some dot.com like Dr.Oz would be happy to explain it and sell you something on the basis of it.

EDIT: I said the last part as a bit of a joke but then I thought I'd look it up and sure enough, Dr.Oz is all over that, complete with a page full of ads

http://www.doctoroz.com/article/3-rules-reboot-metabolism

OP its clickbait tied to a sales-pitch on websites covered with ads, thats it. Its hollow...not going to help you. It puts on a smile and tries to sell you *kitten*. I'm not smiling but I'm not trying to sell you *kitten* either.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I'm not stupid enough to buy products over it...