SmartBMI

So I was trying to figure out what my actual final goal weight should be, as I am approaching the top of my BMI range for a "normal weight" and came across a website that claims to take into account age with the calculation, something I had not encountered before. Anyone have any familiarity with this? It seems like its just an excuse to be a little heavier as you age, it tells me I am in a healthy weight range with BMI of 26.1.

Replies

• Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Okohme wrote: »
    So I was trying to figure out what my actual final goal weight should be, as I am approaching the top of my BMI range for a "normal weight" and came across a website that claims to take into account age with the calculation, something I had not encountered before. Anyone have any familiarity with this? It seems like its just an excuse to be a little heavier as you age, it tells me I am in a healthy weight range with BMI of 26.1.

What would really make a BMI calculation more accurate is taking into account lean mass, how much muscle you have and your frame size is largely what is going to affect that. Now when you age you tend to lose lean mass so age is one round-about way to get there so maybe an age-adjusted BMI would be slightly more accurate than BMI, but chances are it is still going to be very off if you are not an average frame with average muscle mass.

Well. Not very muscular. At all. (I'm working on it) The frame thing, I don't really understand because it seems to me, that at 5'3" my frame is going to be small. But logically I guess that isn't necessarily the case.
  • Okohme
    edited November 2016
    you can be short but large framed, your heigh doesn't matter in terms of frame size. Frame size is related to basically how thick your skeleton is (that is an oversimplification but yeah). Turns out there is something to being "big boned".

I'm a 6' tall man. I have a small frame (light narrow bones). Because I have a small frame I'm actually lean at about 150 pounds which for a large framed 6' tall man would basically be dead from starvation.

BMI is calculated just by dividing your Weight by your Height (thats it) and as such BMI makes some assumptions. It assumes you have the average frame and the average amount of muscle. If you have a large frame and a lot of muscle your BMI might be 27 even though you are in excellent shape simply because your extra muscle and heavier frame makes you weigh more than average for your height.

I am small framed and probably have lower muscle than average (partly as a result) and so a BMI of 24 for me is probably still overweight even though its in the "healthy weight" category of the BMI scale.

A simple way of getting an idea of your frame size is to do this:

Take your thumb and middle finger and attempt to wrap them around your wrist at its narrowest point (assuming you don't have a lot of fat on your wrist and can actually feel the bone). If your fingers touch barely you have an average frame. If your fingers overlap you have a small frame. If your fingers don't touch at all you have a larger frame. Basically you are trying to measure the girth of your bones where your bone is most of the diameter of that part of your body (which is why its measured at your wrist which is basically just bone).

If I do that I can put my thumb completely over the nail of my middle finger.

Well, guess I am small framed. I have TINY wrists. So, I'm even fatter than I thought. Plugh. Oh well, onward.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    you can be short but large framed, your heigh doesn't matter in terms of frame size. Frame size is related to basically how thick your skeleton is (that is an oversimplification but yeah). Turns out there is something to being "big boned".

I'm a 6' tall man. I have a small frame (light narrow bones). Because I have a small frame I'm actually lean at about 150 pounds which for a large framed 6' tall man would basically be dead from starvation.

BMI is calculated just by dividing your Weight by your Height (thats it) and as such BMI makes some assumptions. It assumes you have the average frame and the average amount of muscle. If you have a large frame and a lot of muscle your BMI might be 27 even though you are in excellent shape simply because your extra muscle and heavier frame makes you weigh more than average for your height.

I am small framed and probably have lower muscle than average (partly as a result) and so a BMI of 24 for me is probably still overweight even though its in the "healthy weight" category of the BMI scale.

A simple way of getting an idea of your frame size is to do this:

Take your thumb and middle finger and attempt to wrap them around your wrist at its narrowest point (assuming you don't have a lot of fat on your wrist and can actually feel the bone). If your fingers touch barely you have an average frame. If your fingers overlap you have a small frame. If your fingers don't touch at all you have a larger frame. Basically you are trying to measure the girth of your bones where your bone is most of the diameter of that part of your body (which is why its measured at your wrist which is basically just bone).

If I do that I can put my thumb completely over the nail of my middle finger.

Well, guess I am small framed. I have TINY wrists. So, I'm even fatter than I thought. Plugh. Oh well, onward.

Eh whether that is true or not the path forward in terms of your health is the same regardless. Don't obsess too much over exactly where you are at now, as long as you know how to start moving in the direction of better health the focus should be on doing that.
  • Okohme

Well, guess I am small framed. I have TINY wrists. So, I'm even fatter than I thought. Plugh. Oh well, onward.[/quote]

Eh whether that is true or not the path forward in terms of your health is the same regardless. Don't obsess too much over exactly where you are at now, as long as you know how to start moving in the direction of better health the focus should be on doing that.[/quote]

Well, I HAVE been moving in a good direction. some days I a, just ready to be "there" i guess.
  • jamcdonel
    jamcdonel Posts: 533 Member
    I am also a 6’ tall man. I used to weigh 150 pounds. Then in seventh grade...

I have a very large frame. I have huge hands, and my fingers come nowhere near going around my wrist. Like not by 1.5 inches.

I did an Ironman Triathlon 10 years ago. I weighed 210 lbs. on race day, about 12% body fat. Therefore BMI classified me as "significantly overweight". I couldn't get life insurance.

BMI is BS.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    My doctor firmly believes in the age-based BMI. She believes that, especially for women, BMI should not be the same in your 50's and older as it was when you were in your 20's. She advocates carrying a little more weight AND strength training to prevent bone loss.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    A slightly higher BMI is often recommended for those who are older. The reasoning is that as one ages (55-60+), one is more likely to have illness and injury. The extra fat can be used if eating adequate calories is a problem.

Could you link to the BMI calculator please. Just curious.

Cheers, h.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited November 2016
    If I recall correctly, the "smart BMI" site also skews the acceptable ranges up slightly for taller people. Since there is a methodogical flaw* in BMI calculations that makes BMI values default to being higher when you're taller, accounting for this is actually smart.

*Flaw = BMI compares a 2-dimensional property (height squared) with a 3-dimensional property (weight as a proxy for volume where volume would be a function of height cubed - though hopefully not actually height cubed! :smile: ). Unless you only grow in two dimensions (instead of three), when height is increased, height cubed (and therefore volume and therefore weight) increases by more than height squared. So, tall people should have their "healthy BMI range" extend higher. But we humans like our round numbers (and multiples of 5), so we're stuck with "convenient" cut-offs that are the same for everyone.
  • Okohme
    A slightly higher BMI is often recommended for those who are older. The reasoning is that as one ages (55-60+), one is more likely to have illness and injury. The extra fat can be used if eating adequate calories is a problem.

Cheers, h.

I'm only 33, though.... :neutral:

Here's the link
    smartbmicalculator.com/
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,605 Member
    I can overlap my fingers too
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited November 2016
    Do wrists get fat? Can someone be big boned with small hands/fingers? Or small boned with big hands and fingers?

There are actual measurements out there to find out what your frame size it but I was just wondering about the hand around the wrist thing, can it be wrong? Just curious...googling now.

http://health.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Frame-Size-Wrist
  • Aaron_K123
    My doctor firmly believes in the age-based BMI. She believes that, especially for women, BMI should not be the same in your 50's and older as it was when you were in your 20's. She advocates carrying a little more weight AND strength training to prevent bone loss.

Well that is because your lean mass is most likely lower at 50 than it was at 20 so at equal weight you'd be fatter at 50 than at 20. That much is...on average...true. but if your doctor really cared to they could just measure your bodyfat percentage and find out directly instead of using a statistical inference that does not always apply.
  • Aaron_K123

Cheers, h.

Here's the link
    smartbmicalculator.com/

Gave me 22.4.
  • Aaron_K123
    jamcdonel wrote: »

I have a very large frame. I have huge hands, and my fingers come nowhere near going around my wrist. Like not by 1.5 inches.

I did an Ironman Triathlon 10 years ago. I weighed 210 lbs. on race day, about 12% body fat. Therefore BMI classified me as "significantly overweight". I couldn't get life insurance.

BMI is BS.

Yeah I'm the other side of that spectrum. I'm 6' but my wrist diameter is 6.25" so very small frame. At 188 pounds I was almost 28% bodyfat but BMI put me at barley overweight.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    IT says I am 19.3, or 29/70 for their calculations.
    Advised to gain 6 lbs for optimal weight, preferably muscle.

Cheers, h.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    jamcdonel wrote: »

BMI is BS.

Oh man that sucks there should be a way to appeal that denial on the basis that you are only 12% body fat! That's a very healthy range!!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member

Cheers, h.

Here's the link
    smartbmicalculator.com/

Gave me 22.4.

I think it calculates BMI normally just interprets it differently.

I am moderately amused that it cautions me that my goal weight is "ambitious" when it corresponds to a BMI of 24ish - which is a good place for me personally. I don't personally feel the need to get halfway there then stop and maintain for a bit before continuing to lose. Maybe if my goal was a BMI of 20 that would be better advice. If I'd entered my starting stats, would it have cautioned me against losing the last 25 pounds "so quickly"?