Protein Goal

Options
Currently in college so its hard to meet my protein goals everyday. As long as I get some protein after my lifts and in some of my meals will I maintain my gains or will I lose gains automatically if I dont reach my protein goal?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Are you using the MFP default protein goal? You should really try to hit that, at the minimum.

If you have determined your protein goal in other ways, you may have accidentally set it too high depending on what method you use.

How did you determine your goal?
  • lilpedro13
    lilpedro13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Are you using the MFP default protein goal? You should really try to hit that, at the minimum.

If you have determined your protein goal in other ways, you may have accidentally set it too high depending on what method you use.

How did you determine your goal?

just based it off my weight basically
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Ask for some protein powder/bars for your birthday/Christmas/etc. Get a small container and carry a scoop of protein in it to mix with your milk/appropriate food.

If you have a meal plan that allows all you can eat, try to eat protein rich foods at your meal(s).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Sufficient protein and a calorie surplus, a good exercise routine and adequate rest, will make you gain muscle.

What is considered sufficient, is heavily debated. One common rule of thumb says 0.8 grams per pound of lean mass.

What IS your protein goal and your calorie goal?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    0.8g/lb of lean body mass is the generally accepted figure. I recently have been playing round with low protein (0.4-0.5g/lb) during a deficit and have seen no negative effects regarding LBM loss.