Eating before a run?

Options
I have a training run to do this evening at the gym since it's too hot outside right now..but I won't be going until after dinner.

How long should you wait after dinner to go for a jog/run?

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I have a training run to do this evening at the gym since it's too hot outside right now..but I won't be going until after dinner.

Wait two to three hours after eating a full dinner, give it a chance to digest. Your heart works hard when digesting food, if you add running on top of that, your heart is working much, much harder than it should be.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I went for a four mile run in 90 degree temperatures about 45 minutes after eating a pretty significant dinner at a restaurant, and was just fine, but I've come to find I have a heartier constitution than most. I would think an hour an half or so would be plenty of time.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I am thinking I will go after dinner around 7 (I get home from work at 5:15 and will eat around 6)
  • __Di__
    Options
    I am thinking I will go after dinner around 7 (I get home from work at 5:15 and will eat around 6)

Fair enough. As you have made up your mind, all is well.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

take it from someone who just tried this (running right after eating dinner) wait at least 2 to 3 hours (3 is better). i barely got 2 miles and had to stop stomach was in KNOTS and it SUCKED!
  • __Di__
    Options

take it from someone who just tried this (running right after eating dinner) wait at least 2 to 3 hours (3 is better). i barely got 2 miles and had to stop stomach was in KNOTS and it SUCKED!

Yes, not nice is it :frown:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    kinda depends on what the dinner is and how much of it you're gonna consume
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    I just go by how I feel. Its mostly trial and error. Sometimes you will go on a run where you know you didn't eat enough and you feel faint and weak. Sometimes you will be too full and get a cramp. You just have to get to know your body. I just had 2 peices of toast and some raisins. I'm waiting a 1/2 hour-ish.
  • LDeegirl
    LDeegirl Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I wait about a hour. If I waited 2-3 Hours I would never get my run in for the day.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    depends what you ate, about 1:30 - 2 hours
  • PollyWolly98
    PollyWolly98 Posts: 112
    Options
    Try it and see. That's what I did a few months ago. Turns out I can run almost immediately after eating dinner without any trouble (I do not gorge myself, that might cause problems). Strangely, I have tummy issues when I run on empty first thing in the morning. Everyone is different. Good luck!