Woman, 42, 2 months of trying to bulk

2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,363 MFP Moderator
    Anna_Be11a wrote: »
    I have been eating lean so hopefully my gains are more muscle than fat. Thanks for all the comments all. Have decided to try creatine and I have increased my weights and see a lot of muscle gain. Happy with the results so far.

What you eat won't impact fat/muscle ratio. But as a women, it will more likely lean towards more fat than muscle.
  • Anna_Be11a
    Anna_Be11a Posts: 9 Member
    Okay. Thank you @psulemon. Good to know.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I have been eating lean so hopefully my gains are more muscle than fat. Thanks for all the comments all. Have decided to try creatine and I have increased my weights and see a lot of muscle gain. Happy with the results so far.

From someone who is 47 who eats about 2000 calories of pumpkin pie and ice cream ever day, it doesn't effect your fat/muscle ratio. As long as you hit your macros and stay at a low surplus while progressively overloading at a regular basis, you will gain muscle.
  • Anna_Be11a
    :) Thank you @Chieflrg.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    serapel wrote: »
    I'm 45 (female) and lifting to gain muscle. I've probably gained about 4 lbs of muscle so far in the last 5 months of serious lifting. I'm doing a "Strong Curves" type program that centres around the hip thrust.

I'm not taking Creatine or any kind of supplement. I'm eating 100 grams of protein each day and lifting 5 times a week. My body looks tighter all over, I have much less "wobbly" fat and my glutes are more round and a bit bigger.

Beginning:

5' 8", 126 lbs, 20% bf, Bust 33", Waist 27", hips 36", 2000 calories per day

Now (5 months):

5'8", 130 lbs, 19% bf, Bust 33", Waist 27", hips 37", 2200 calories per day

how do you assume you gained 100% muscle? if you gained four total pounds, I am guessing that about 1.25 5 to 1.5 of that is muscle...unless I am missing something...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,363 MFP Moderator
    leajas1 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    4 days weights, 2 days cardio. Doing circuits. 2300 calories, 45% protein, 35% carbs and 20% fat. Down to 20% body fat. My goal is 13%.

Just to clarify, your goal is 13% after bulking then cutting right? Because while you are bulking your weight and body fat will be going up, not down

Not necessarily. Bodyfat is a percentage of total weight. If you gain more muscle than fat then your bodyfat would go down.

Is that likely for a woman?

It depends..........

The correct answer is no. The math just doesnt support it. They would have to gain more than 50% muscle to achieve a zero sum body fat% change.

Example: person at 150 @ 10% = 135 lbs of lbm. Assuming 10 lbs gained at 50/50 that means 140 lbs of lbm and 160 lbs of weight. 1-(140÷160) = 12.5% body fat.

Looking at the math, you would literally have to gain 90% of the weight in pure muscle; 160×90% = 144. 144 - 135 = 9.

• serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I'm 45 (female) and lifting to gain muscle. I've probably gained about 4 lbs of muscle so far in the last 5 months of serious lifting. I'm doing a "Strong Curves" type program that centres around the hip thrust.

I'm not taking Creatine or any kind of supplement. I'm eating 100 grams of protein each day and lifting 5 times a week. My body looks tighter all over, I have much less "wobbly" fat and my glutes are more round and a bit bigger.

Beginning:

Now (5 months):

how do you assume you gained 100% muscle? if you gained four total pounds, I am guessing that about 1.25 5 to 1.5 of that is muscle...unless I am missing something...

no it's muscle. I've been checked by Tana machine. I have gained 4 lbs of muscle over the past 5 months and I'm up about 3.5 lbs. I am gaining muscle and my bf is pretty much staying the same.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

Beginning:

Now (5 months):

no it's muscle. I've been checked by Tana machine. I have gained 4 lbs of muscle over the past 5 months and I'm up about 3.5 lbs. I am gaining muscle and my bf is pretty much staying the same.

You know it's impossible to gain 100% muscle right?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

Beginning:

Now (5 months):

I think you mean exceptional or unlikely - not impossible which is an absolute term.

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-build-muscle-while-losing-fat/
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    leajas1 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    4 days weights, 2 days cardio. Doing circuits. 2300 calories, 45% protein, 35% carbs and 20% fat. Down to 20% body fat. My goal is 13%.

Just to clarify, your goal is 13% after bulking then cutting right? Because while you are bulking your weight and body fat will be going up, not down

Not necessarily. Bodyfat is a percentage of total weight. If you gain more muscle than fat then your bodyfat would go down.

Is that likely for a woman?

It depends..........

The correct answer is no. The math just doesnt support it. They would have to gain more than 50% muscle to achieve a zero sum body fat% change.

Example: person at 150 @ 10% = 135 lbs of lbm. Assuming 10 lbs gained at 50/50 that means 140 lbs of lbm and 160 lbs of weight. 1-(140÷160) = 12.5% body fat.

Looking at the math, you would literally have to gain 90% of the weight in pure muscle; 160×90% = 144. 144 - 135 = 9.

I know this is well beyond the reaches of this site but with certain "supplements" it is possible hence my ambiguous answer.

In 99% of cases, you are of course absolutely correct!
  • serapel

Beginning:

Now (5 months):

re-comping is very possible. yes I know this. You lose some body fat and gain some muscle. Can be done, but at a slower pace.
  • serapel
    I'm in no rush to gain muscle and my body is beginning to look really nice. I'd like to be around 18% body fat.

Ate like a pig this weekend and gained 2 lbs. Oreo cookies....

I would need to lose roughly 3 lbs to get to 18% body fat with the muscle gains I have made. I'm actually getting ready for a cutting phase. I'm thinking Jan 1st I'll begin cutting. I've gained about 4 lbs of muscle for sure. Take a look at my progress photos (glutes). That's in the past 5 months. I'm very proud.
  • Anna_Be11a
    Great job @serapel