Fishing Kayak/Exercise

Options
I've lived on the lake about a year now, and I've been wanting a fishing kayak. Since it''s pretty much the end of the season, I thought it would be a good time to look.
Does anyone out there have any opinions or ideas concerning whether paddles or pedals would be the better excercise?
Also, for those yakers out there...
What do you have, and why do you like it? Again I do want a fishing kayak, but I also want to make sure I get the most out of it.
Thanks!

Replies

• 1nprgr3s
    1nprgr3s Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a paddle kayak (not fishing), it's a good workout. I think the pedals would be too easy. Can you hire one with pedals to see how hard it is?
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Well, my arms and legs are equally weak at this point. Both would tire out easily.
    I'm a little afraid of the paddles getting in the way of fishing... equipment, space, etc.. It would be a good idea to try to find a way to try out both. Neighbors have a paddle boat, & I've noticed those kids barely make it to the end of the docks before they give up & turn around.
  • Hungry_Angler
    Hungry_Angler Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi...I'm a kayak fisherman. Maybe I can help you. I do quite a bit of fishing. There are leashes that you can buy for the paddle so that while you're casting/retrieving you can put the paddle in the water and next to your yak. There's also velcro straps that can be installed and you can strap the paddle down to side of kayak. Most paddles float, I usually just balance the paddle at mid thigh and on occasion it will fall into water but I promptly retrieve it before it floats away.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I've done plenty of kayaking, but not to fish.

You use a "leash" for your paddle, then, if you drop it, it won't go far.

I got tendonitis in my ankles from the steering pedals. It was my fault for adjusting them wrong, but I've never used them since. I can steer just fine with the paddle.

Kayaking is good exercise. It's also a great way to spend some time out on the water. It can be peaceful and relaxing, or you can pretend you're in a race and get a good workout. You can also enjoy scenery that you couldn't otherwise. Kayaking won't burn as many calories as quickly as running, but the fun and happy factors should make it way easier to stick to, and over the long run that could be a really good thing for you. People who find a type of exercise they enjoy are the ones who do best.

Most kayaks have this system of shock cord laid out across their decks. There are flat spots for your gear. Invest in some carabiners so you don't lose your stuff. :smile:

There are "dry suits" for kayakers which are uncomfortable but increase safety this time of year.

Don't ever go out without a self-rescue kit, and learn to use it. You need an air bladder, a bilge pump, and a life jacket at a minimum, and lights if you'll ever be out at night.

24209738943_8a2e38e4fb_o_d.jpg

27223314891_655becb148_o_d.jpg