Good ways of adding protein to my diet?

So, I usually have Oatmeal with almond butter for breakfast, a salad, or some kind of lean meat for lunch, and then a well balanced dinner. Also two healthy snacks between meals while at work.
My protein and calorie levels are always upside down by the end of the day. Even after my post workout protein shake. I'm a machinist, so I do physical labor on my feet all day. I burn a lot of calories. I'm not currently doing any heavy lifting in my workout, (Focus T25).
Would Clif builder bars or some other protein bar be a good way to help balance it out? Should they be eaten as a snack during the day? Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I'd add more protein at breakfast and then slightly increase the size of your protein with lunch and dinner.

If you like protein bars then they make good snacks too. Or eggs, Greek yoghurt, reduced fat cheese...
  • EricLFC1892
    EricLFC1892 Posts: 85 Member
    Cottage cheese and quark are my go to protein boosts
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Context is great. What is your protein goal, and how close do you get? What's your calorie goal? Are you maintaining, losing or gaining?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Adding throughout the day is much easier than not for most people.

Beef jerky, pouch of tuna, Dannon light & fit yogart are some options that are very protien vs calorie friendly.
  • mclelis
    mclelis Posts: 26 Member
    Hard Boiled Eggs are a great snack
  • ROGUE36BLACK
    ROGUE36BLACK Posts: 8 Member
    My calorie goal is at 1700. My protein goal goes up as I burn calories throughout the day. But I usually end up about 500 or 600 calories short of my goal, and about 30 g of protein short after adjustments at the end of the day.

I am trying to lose about another 10 pounds before I start to focus on gaining. I am also in the Gamma phase of T25. Which focuses more on strength training than the previous phases, Alpha and Beta respectively.

I was just curious if the bars would be a good supplement even if I'm not focusing on gaining at the moment.
    Context is great. What is your protein goal, and how close do you get? What's your calorie goal? Are you maintaining, losing or gaining?

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    My calorie goal is at 1700. My protein goal goes up as I burn calories throughout the day. But I usually end up about 500 or 600 calories short of my goal, and about 30 g of protein short after adjustments at the end of the day.

I am trying to lose about another 10 pounds before I start to focus on gaining. I am also in the Gamma phase of T25. Which focuses more on strength training than the previous phases, Alpha and Beta respectively.

I was just curious if the bars would be a good supplement even if I'm not focusing on gaining at the moment.

Have you changed your macro settings or are you using the default? The way MFP handles macro goals is by percentages, so protein goal will increase with calorie goal. You shouldn't pay too much attention to that; your protein need is pretty steady. You may be too eager to add exercise calories, though - add half.

I'm asking about numbers because you may not have to supplement. If you already fill your needs, you don't have to supplement. You can, but you don't have to. Anything you do takes an effort, and your chance of success is higher if you focus on the big things that matter and the small things that help, and not worry about anything else.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Eat more meat, problem solved.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    I added skim milk. At 180 calories, it has 16 grams of protein. Also, added yogurt, cheese and make sure I have lots of lean protein. My goal is 100 grams. I have protein powder for days I can't hit it. But as long as I plan my day, I can hit the 100. Also look into beans. Lentils is high in protein and fiber.
  • ROGUE36BLACK
    ROGUE36BLACK Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks for all the advice!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

Your body needs the protien relative to your weight not calories eaten. If your calories change because of exercise, your protien doesn't need to go up.

.8 * LBM= grams of protien you need daily. Not to say you can't eat more, just not necessary.

If you know your weight and a good estimate of your body fat % you
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    If you have whey powder and you already eat oatmeal in the mornings, have you considered mixing a scoop of protein into your oatmeal?