How to get motivated and wake up early to run in the morning?

Options
2»

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning runner but I get that lack of motivation thing.

Going to bed earlier helps, and setting out my running gear (not sleeping in it).

The alarm goes off and I get dressed immediately. If I have a snooze button or delay for more than a few seconds my consciousness will kick in and question what's happening. Best to be out of the door before I've even realised. A quick glass of water and that's it.

It being dark in the mornings isn't helping, running on a treadmill kills me, so I tend to do other stuff in the gym instead. To encourage myself I also try my best to remember how good I feel when I get back from a run. Running with others wouldn't help - I hate that sort of pressure and rebel against it, besides, I REALLY don't want to communicate in the mornings!!

Hope you can get back into the swing of things OP
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    You got to make it a habit. I never even set an alarm anymore and wake up at about 4:30 AM. I go to the sink and brush my teeth, then splash cold water on my face. On the road by 5:00 AM. I just love to run and watch the city wake up. I feel safer with the light traffic too. Don't sweat the cold weather coming. The night before I check the temperature and layout clothes. I recheck in the morning to account for wind speed. Go to Runnersworld.com/ what to wear and it will help you dress for success.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I set 1 alarm and don't use a snooze If I'm too lazy to get up I'm mate for everything and I'm in more trouble than just missing a run. I'm so used to this I still wander around my house at 430am like a lost puppy on my rest days.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Also I've switched some of my news watching over to podcast listening. I have a few favorites that I'll only let myself listen to when I'm under a barbell or following my headlamp beam down the road.

I've learned to go to bed early ehough that I get a good nights sleep was tough at first but became a routine quickly.