Beginners running - How can I keep going?!

Options
Hi! I haven't used MFP for aggesss so I thought I best say hello too.

I've recently started running, and entered into my first 5k race in March which gives me lots of time to train. I'm aiming for the 30 minute mark. I'm currently doing it in about 40 to 45 minutes but I'm really struggling to keep running. I do run/walk intervals (more running than walking) but I can't seem to break through and just keep running. Any tips on how to push past this?

(I don't know if weight is a factor, I'm currently 197lb so maybe it will get easier the lighter I get?)

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    C2K program.
  • aimingforjoy
    aimingforjoy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yep. It worked for me at 265 and again at 250, when I fell off the wagon. Finished a half marathon less than a year ago. I'm currently doing C25K again, after a lengthy surgery recovery derailed me.
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have literally just finished my first 5K without stopping or walking and done it in 34 minutes. Maybe increase your speed whilst your doing run/walk intervals and eventually you'll do more running than walking at the increased speed until you do the full 5K.

Good luck with the race
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I started running at the very beginning doing the C25K but I found it annoying, asking me to walk when I could have gone on running longer and asking me to run when I was at busy road crossings or something, plus I find the weight of my phone on my arm annoying so chose to only take out my mp3 player instead.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    To get quicker, run farther.

If you can do 5k in 40 minutes, work on upping your distance once a week to 6, 7, 8k.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Misssynth wrote: »
    I started running at the very beginning doing the C25K but I found it annoying, asking me to walk when I could have gone on running longer and asking me to run when I was at busy road crossings or something, plus I find the weight of my phone on my arm annoying so chose to only take out my mp3 player instead.

Practice Practice Practice..

I needed something that helped me in the form of device..
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 888 Member
    Options

I did C25K on the treadmill when I started running. No busy intersections there. :)

• mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Try to land on your toes to absorb some impact with your calves. This will take stress off your joints. It will also make your calves really sore, so you'll need to give them time to recover. Two-a-days, one in the morning, then one workout in the evening builds endurance quicker. I found it takes two days for the soreness to really hit me, so I'll run for two days in a row, then take 2 or 3 days off from running. On days off from running, you could ride your bike, do body-weight push-ups and squats to continue to build cardiovascular endurance.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You could also try the Zombies, Run 5k app. It's similar to C25K as it's a walk/run program, but a little less structured. Many times there are "free form runs" where you walk/run as much as you like in a certain time frame.

For example, the first workout is:
    • 10 minute warm up walk
    • 1 minute walk/15 sec run (repeat 10 times)
    • 10 minute free form run

Depending on your level, the first few weeks might be easy, but it slowly increase (same as C25K).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Also, if you can do it in 40 mins with walking intervals I think you could probably do 5k without stopping if you wanted to, running is mostly in your head...
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    If you can't run longer, try running slower. If you can do 5K in 40 min of run/walk intervals, you can probably do 5K in a similar time frame without walking just by running slower/at a lower intensity. Slow down until you can talk comfortably while you're running and it will help you keep running longer.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    Try to land on your toes to absorb some impact with your calves. This will take stress off your joints. It will also make your calves really sore, so you'll need to give them time to recover. Two-a-days, one in the morning, then one workout in the evening builds endurance quicker. I found it takes two days for the soreness to really hit me, so I'll run for two days in a row, then take 2 or 3 days off from running. On days off from running, you could ride your bike, do body-weight push-ups and squats to continue to build cardiovascular endurance.

Be very careful with this advice. Purposely changing your stride for no other reason than because a stranger told you can lead to injury (achillies and/or knees). There is no 'correct' way to run.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Run more.

Run slowly.

Run further.
  • PaulaS1220
    PaulaS1220 Posts: 61 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I would really recommend giving the C25K app another chance. Yes, you may think in the beginning that you can run longer, but it won't always be like that. It truly helps you build the endurance and distance at a pace that is comfortable for brand new runners. And as a newbie, it's super helpful to have a set plan to follow.

And if not, ditto the advice above to run more, slower, longer.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'm going to take a lot of your advice on board (minus the one about running twice a day, I don't have the time nevermind the inclination and I don't want to injur myself)
    I think tbh it's mostly in my head, I need to break through the barrier of me thinking I need to walk. It's just... Doing it!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It's very probable it's psychological more than anything. Was talking about this with a new to running but already fit friend. We find there's a point at which your legs get a bit tight, for us around 5 minutes and if we can just run through that our legs settle into it and we can keep going after that.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'd echo the advice above around slowing down a little to allow you to run continuously for the distance. Once you can do that, start working on going up to 10K and your 5K time will improve significantly by virtue of that.

Ignore any advice about anything more complicated than just running longer, as a newbie runner you don't get any benefit from that.

And ignore everything from the individual who suggested two-a-day, that's advanced endurance related stuff and more likely to injure you than anything else at your stage.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'm going to take a lot of your advice on board (minus the one about running twice a day, I don't have the time nevermind the inclination and I don't want to injur myself)
    I think tbh it's mostly in my head, I need to break through the barrier of me thinking I need to walk. It's just... Doing it!

Yes, it just about wanting it enough.
    Ive done C25K now for 8 weeks, and just ran 5k. I was very unfit when I started, and I also have the age against me. (And it probably didnt help that I smoked 20 a day for the last 30 years either)

I used to zombies run 5k training program, and it worked really well for me. I really liked that they had the "free form run" where you could run/walk for 5 min, then 10 and in week 4 15 min. I always tried to run all me free form runs, and it payed off in the end.

You will feel so good when you do it for the first time. Just remember to set new goals for yourself to keep pushing yourself.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Don't let yourself walk....if you need to slow down, slow down, but keep it at a light jog. If it helps, pretend there's a drill sergeant yelling in your ear and incorporate a "punishment exercise" for yourself if you stop running (burpees and pushups are good motivators).