When do you know it's time to cut?

Options
So you've been building muscle and of course, some fat....when do you know it's time to cut?

I have been trying to do a body re-comp, but it's not working out. I get very hungry and I've been bulking a bit. I will need to lose about 4 lbs of fat to get back to my preferred BF of around 18%.

When do you know you've built enough muscle and it's time to cut?

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you are a man you should aim to not exceed 15% bodyfat.

If you are a woman, you are already lean.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If you are a man you should aim to not exceed 15% bodyfat.

If you are a woman, you are already lean.

not as lean as I'd like :) I'd like to lose about 1-2% bf once I'm done with bulking. I prefer myself at about 18% and I'm about 20% right now.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    There isn't really any one "right" answer. Generally, for women, you probably wouldn't want to get (much) above 25% BF. If, however, you don't like the look you have before you get back up to 25%, then you can cut earlier.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have also heard the general recommendation to stop bulking above 25% (not that you couldn't keep going, but muscle gains become more difficult the higher BF% you get).. also take into consideration having to cut from a higher weight.
    I don't track my BF% so I just go by how I look and feel. I am more on the cautious side when it comes to bulking though, I would rather do more cycles than do a really long heavy bulk
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Since you are only talking 1-2% bf, perhaps you could give the recomp another try? If you are struggling to hit your recomp cals I don't think cutting them further would be a great choice right now.
  • serapel
    Options
    Since you are only talking 1-2% bf, perhaps you could give the recomp another try? If you are struggling to hit your recomp cals I don't think cutting them further would be a great choice right now.

So perhaps I should focus more on re-comp cals for now? My recomp cals are 2100 a day, but on some days after working out, I'm so hungry that I must take in about 2500 cals. Then I notice a little more fat creeping on me.

• serapel
    Options
    How do you cut anyway? You stop progressive overload and maintain existing weight lifting levels while you eat at a deficit for a little while?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    serapel wrote: »
    How do you cut anyway? You stop progressive overload and maintain existing weight lifting levels while you eat at a deficit for a little while?

Depends on how strong the deficit is. With a pretty mild one, you'd probably continue to see at least some strength gains. Hell, I'm currently running a monster deficit, and just hit a PR on bench and OHP last week.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I have also heard the general recommendation to stop bulking above 25% (not that you couldn't keep going, but muscle gains become more difficult the higher BF% you get).. also take into consideration having to cut from a higher weight.
    I don't track my BF% so I just go by how I look and feel. I am more on the cautious side when it comes to bulking though, I would rather do more cycles than do a really long heavy bulk

SAME. I thought I was the only one. Sardelsa, we're so similar with our fitness journey in a bunch of ways. Glad you're my MFP friend!

And I, too, air on the side of caution with bulking. I'd prefer to play it safe and do a longer minimal bulk and chance having to do more cycles than do one massive bulk. I am scared of fat gains without enough muscle mass to back it up. Bulking is hard mentally. There's no "one size fits all" regimen to follow. Cutting is easy. Cut calories from what you're already consuming and BAM you lose some fat.
  • not_a_runner
    Options

Depends on how strong the deficit is. With a pretty mild one, you'd probably continue to see at least some strength gains. Hell, I'm currently running a monster deficit, and just hit a PR on bench and OHP last week.

Yeah, your lifting doesn't *need* to change just for the purpose of cutting. I'm down about 30 lbs and still in a deficit currently. Been hitting deadlift PR's every week. Just lower calories, maybe pay more attention to having some carbs pre/post workout if you feel that makes a difference for you. (My cals are feeling pretty low for me some days, so I like to go lowish carb until preworkout meal in the afternoon.)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

SAME. I thought I was the only one. Sardelsa, we're so similar with our fitness journey in a bunch of ways. Glad you're my MFP friend!

And I, too, air on the side of caution with bulking. I'd prefer to play it safe and do a longer minimal bulk and chance having to do more cycles than do one massive bulk. I am scared of fat gains without enough muscle mass to back it up. Bulking is hard mentally. There's no "one size fits all" regimen to follow. Cutting is easy. Cut calories from what you're already consuming and BAM you lose some fat.

Aww same here @peaceout_aly ! :)
    I mean, in a sense I track my BF% but not "accurately" using calipers or DEXA or what not... I use my weight, measurements, mirror and progress photos to know where I stand. I look for trends, I know where I am and where I want to go. That works best for me. But for some people they need the reassurance of more accurate BF% measurements especially mentally. You are very right how it is hard mentally for sure and everyone is different.

@serapel when you cut I would continue with the program you are doing (some people change but again personal preference), you may have to deload more than usual but I would just try to keep progressing and see how it goes. I actually got stronger during my cut ! It was aweomse
  • not_a_runner
    Options

So perhaps I should focus more on re-comp cals for now? My recomp cals are 2100 a day, but on some days after working out, I'm so hungry that I must take in about 2500 cals. Then I notice a little more fat creeping on me.

Assuming your recomp cals are pretty close to maintenance, eating 400 cals over them would definitely lead to some fat gain if done frequently. (Essentially you have not been eating recomp cals anyway, you've been in a small surplus.)
    If I were in your position, I would look into optimizing your current recomp intake so that you can hit it consistently... Are there some foods that could be replaced with something more satiating? Do you need to save more cals for post workout so you don't get hangry and overshoot your goal?
    Personally if I were struggling to hit my maintenance numbers, I would struggle even more trying to cut down from those.
    I would encourage you to get consistent with your recomp numbers. You may be surprised with the changes your body makes in just a month or two if you shake that surplus.
    Without knowing your stats or seeing any diary entries, I have no idea what 2100 cals would look like for you. But for me (5'1'' 182 lbs female) that can be a LOT of food if I make it that way.
  • serapel
    Options

Aww same here @peaceout_aly ! :)
    I mean, in a sense I track my BF% but not "accurately" using calipers or DEXA or what not... I use my weight, measurements, mirror and progress photos to know where I stand. I look for trends, I know where I am and where I want to go. That works best for me. But for some people they need the reassurance of more accurate BF% measurements especially mentally. You are very right how it is hard mentally for sure and everyone is different.

@serapel when you cut I would continue with the program you are doing (some people change but again personal preference), you may have to deload more than usual but I would just try to keep progressing and see how it goes. I actually got stronger during my cut ! It was aweomse

I'm like you, I go by the mirror and by measuring my waist. I don't have easy access to a dexa :wink:

I carry my fat in my thighs and no where else. My bum has no fat. I have wierd genetics and when I add fat, my legs look hideous.