Strength training routines?

Options
So I think I need to change up my exercising a bit, wondering if anyone knew of a good strength or weight training program to do. I am only comfortable with using 3lbs dumbbells right now. Also something I can do at home would be a big bonus as I don't like going to the gym.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to using more Dumbbells at home?

If not, you may want to look into a bodyweight routine such as You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning.

You use your body as well as some household objects for stabilization and it gets progressively harder.

There are dumbbell routines available, of course, but you may outgrow the weights you have fast.
  • lisarvs40
    lisarvs40 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look on u-tube at a series by Body project and Pop sugar. Very good cardio and strength training. Also fitness blender
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You can fill milk jugs with water or sand and use those to do different types of bicep curls, wrist curls, military presses, squats, calf raises, lunges, bent over rows, shoulder shrugs, kettle bell swings, lateral raises for shoulders, etc. You could also buy some bigger dumbbells, or dumbbells with removable plates for not too much on craigslist usually. You could put books something else heavy in a backpack and lift it, or wear it while doing squats or push-ups. Just make sure to keep a good posture and take it slow to avoid injury. Don't round out your back. Keep a nice little arch in it.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts 5x5 is brilliant but unless you have a full bench and squat rack at home hard to do there. But I'd really recommend it, I was dead lifting my body weight!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    With only 3lbs, maybe something like
    Jillian Michaels:. 30 day shred, ripped in 30 , Denise Austin: body boot camp,
    the firm: 500 calorie workout, calorie explosion, calorie killer, super cardio mix...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    But with only 3lbs, you will not increase in strength for very long. You will need progressive overload.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I use an app called Jefit. It is free and gives you access to TONS of workout routines based on your goals and available equipment. In addition, each routine is customizable so you can tailor it to your preferences. You can also use the exercise database to create your own routines.

So there - I just gave you thousands to pick from!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    abungay wrote: »
    So I think I need to change up my exercising a bit, wondering if anyone knew of a good strength or weight training program to do. I am only comfortable with using 3lbs dumbbells right now. Also something I can do at home would be a big bonus as I don't like going to the gym.

I started out very light, but I'm pretty sure it was more than 3 lbs, at least 5. Most 24 year olds should be able to use more than that, unless there is an injury or disability. I wonder what exercises you are using 3 lbs for. You should be able to do quite a bit more weight with lower body and back exercises than with arms and shoulders, because those muscles are much bigger.

I am NOT CRITICIZING your abilities or fitness level, just trying to encourage you to push yourself as far as possible.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    A second vote for You Are Your Own Gym. I really wanted to begin weight training, but I can't fit a trip to the gym into my week. For $4.99, you can get this app. I started a 10 week program that has become progressively more difficult. I will probably repeat the one I did with a few changes for exercises I can now do (make them more challenging). It's fit my schedule great because I can do it at home, so there's no extra driving time.
  • abungay
    abungay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    abungay wrote: »

I started out very light, but I'm pretty sure it was more than 3 lbs, at least 5. Most 24 year olds should be able to use more than that, unless there is an injury or disability. I wonder what exercises you are using 3 lbs for. You should be able to do quite a bit more weight with lower body and back exercises than with arms and shoulders, because those muscles are much bigger.

I am NOT CRITICIZING your abilities or fitness level, just trying to encourage you to push yourself as far as possible.

I have a bad case of TMJ and it affects my shoulders alot. When I use 5lbs I lose my proper form and I think form is the most important to not make my shoulders worst. I have adjustable dumbbells to use after I gain more strength in my shoulders.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Here are a couple of simple routines that should get you started.
    Watch them, make notes and go at your own pace. Adapt any moves that are too difficult st the moment and make your goal being able to do it as shown. ie: push-up- against the wall, against a table, against a stair, on the floor.
    If you have knee problems don't do jumping jacks, walk in place, do step ups, or any other low impact full body movement.

Once you do these with confidence add complexity, weight, or repetition.

Also look as these as an intro to a full progressive compound lifting programme.

Nerdfitness has a good informative site.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

Cheers, h.