College student who needs motivation

Options
So here's what happened. I'm in my senior year of college, applying to graduate schools and the stress of it all caused me to gain a lot of weight. I have a problem with keeping myself responsible for what I eat. I have my own apartment, so it's a lot easier for me to make healthier options. I need supporters who are willing to look at my food journal, and give support and advice! I'd be willing to do the same in return! We could all help each other to get to our goals! Who's with me??

Replies

• nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You're not looking for "motivation." That comes from within.

What you're really asking for accountability. That's different. Truth is that being "accountable" to a bunch of faceless strangers on the interwebs isn't really accountability.

You obviously know what you need to do but you're not doing it. That's lack of self-discipline.

Think about it.
  • timmkeller62
    timmkeller62 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    nadler64 wrote: »
    You're not looking for "motivation." That comes from within.

What you're really asking for accountability. That's different. Truth is that being "accountable" to a bunch of faceless strangers on the interwebs isn't really accountability.

You obviously know what you need to do but you're not doing it. That's lack of self-discipline.

Think about it.

I think maybe you're being a little harsh. We all lack self-discipline and/or motivation to some extent, that's why we're here. We sometimes need help identifying that motivation. I have self-discipline once I'm motivated but I needed help fining my motivation. I don't really need accountability once I'm motivated to do something.

Caiteemae, list all of the reasons you want to lose weight. Scratch off all the ones that pertain to what other people think of you, you're not here to impress anyone else. Most of mine deal with being healthy so I can do things that are important to me, like see my kids grow up, or to be around so I can annoy my brothers for as long as possible.

My GF and I review each others Journals and try to only give positive feedback, because it can be discouraging when you already know you slid back into an old habit and someone else points it out. Having someone, even a stranger, help you is what this "Community" is all about. I can't say I'd look at your Journal every day, and I can be unintentionally tactless sometimes but I'd be willing to help.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    caitleemae...You can add me, I'll try and look at your journal, I agree with the above poster we are on here to help one another, if we all had motivation and were accountable to ourself we wouldn't need MFP. Bring it on girl, let do this.
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It's a process. First start cutting down on the unhealthy choices and find healthy options. Sweets and bread is my battle.
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    What does your journal tell you is the important question. Is there a problem time or food? How many calories are you eating? Why that many? Are you eating back some or all of your exercise calories? Do you exercise? Are you honest with yourself when logging? I'm not in the weight everything camp, just sucks the fun out of life in my opinion. But are you honest? I wasn't for a long time. The journal is a tool, it won't fix anything.
    ANY of the nice folks here can look at your journal and all will have an opinion. OPINION from anonymous kooks on the Internet. Not me of course, the kook part.

I'm a morbidly obese 50 year old guy. My medically supervised way of life is 1500 calories a day, I walk 20 miles a week. I've lost 50 and have a bunch more to go.. my opinion on your log, will not worth a bunch. MFP is a great place to find support, complain and share successes of failures with people from everywhere struggling with exactly the thoughts and feelings you are..
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Meal planning helps a lot with better choices. If you have a bag of carrots & celery sticks in your backpack you are less likely to dive into the plate of cookies at the student center with all of your friends. If you want the "cheat" feel without the calories opt for a bar of sorts. I am a big fan of Fiber One brownies for a mere 90 calories.

Also add more exercise into your day. At the very least take the longest walking route possible to & from class & take the stairs as much as possible.

Good luck on your grad school admission. When you are stressing about exercise, even going for a walk or doing some yoga stretches, rather than eating.