Weight loss after binge eating

Options
I've been struggling with binge eating for a bit. It wouldn't be uncommon for me to have 3,000 calories for lunch and another 2,000 to 3,000 throughout the rest of the day. About a year ago, I weighed around 190. Today I weigh around 210. My goal/comfortable weight would be around 140 (I'm 5'4"). Just curious for others who may have struggled with binge eating if you noticed more weight loss at the beginning of cutting calories. My plan is to cut to around 1,500 a day, which I've done with success in the past. I'm just wondering from a "what my body is used to" standpoint if I should expect to see more loss at the beginning since my body is used to eating a lot more than 1,500 calories a day.

Replies

• leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    what does MFP set your goal at?
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    1200 but I manually change it to 1500 because I know that I am miserable at 1200 and will end up bingeing.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Don't put any food in your house that is junk food or foods you typically binge on.. and make rules for yourself ..like no fast food.
  • abiskeet
    abiskeet Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was terrible at binge eating. And I would have to remove all food from my house as if I'm in for a binge I will eat anything.... I found popcorn a bit of a saviour. A lot lower in calories for a binge....but still haven't completely solved it :(
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    abiskeet wrote: »
    I was terrible at binge eating. And I would have to remove all food from my house as if I'm in for a binge I will eat anything.... I found popcorn a bit of a saviour. A lot lower in calories for a binge....but still haven't completely solved it :(

I have binged on celery so I know your pain. I also have to find an alternative to binge on or sometimes as soon as I'm craving something I have a small portion of it and if I don't I binge on everything in the house and go to get more.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Seek professional help for your disordered thinking. It will help you no end!
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Don't put any food in your house that is junk food or foods you typically binge on.. and make rules for yourself ..like no fast food.

Being a binge eater does not always mean that you overeat junk food or food that is "not heathy". I can binge on anything. I got rid of all the junk food and would binge on shredded cheese or carrots and bleu cheese dressing. It is more important to know why you binge and to find things to do to keep busy. For me I usually binge when I am bored. So I will talk on the phone, go for a walk or do something that does not involve food.
  • ericwhitt
    ericwhitt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, Binge eating isn't the disease, it's a symptom of an underlying problem. Usually a form of emotional stress. Now I emphasize the Generally speaking part. It's very hard to diet if you have emotional stress going on.

But to answer your first question, you will see rapid "weight" loss to start usually, because the water weight is the first to go. Usually with binge eating comes excess sodium levels and bloating. So you will probably drop 5-10lbs in the first week alone.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »
    1200 but I manually change it to 1500 because I know that I am miserable at 1200 and will end up bingeing.

Good call! I will binge if I restrict too much. MFP has me at 1450 for a 1 lb per week loss. Sometimes I eat all 1450 sometimes I don't. When I don't, just knowing the extra calories are there if I want them makes it easier too!