Options
Hello all. I just joined MFP a little over a week ago and so far I have lost over 7 pounds. Although I am delighted, I am worried that it seems a bit fast.

Some background: I am 53, 5'9" and sitting at about 228 as of today. I have been battling with my weight for over 8 years now. I am on .225 synthroid meds now and hoping that perhaps it is what is helping me finally take off the weight. MFP has set my calories at 1200 per day. I have not been able to workout for the last few years because of medical problems, but try to do some yardwork and walk the dog at least 3 days per week. I work a desk job, so not much exercise there.

I guess my question is how much weight loss is TOO much each week? I am dying to get back to my "normal" 165#, but I don't want to find myself gaining the weight back because I lost it too fast.

Thank you for your feedback.

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    It is quite normal for a lot of weight to come off during that first week, a fair bit the second week and then it settles down into a normal weightloss.

The first week, a lot of water and glycogen is lost, but everything will settle down, you will not lose 7lbs every week.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    no worries...that first couple of weeks you drop a lot of mostly water weight. Next week...you may even gain a little. Don't sweat it. Just keep on keepin' on...and it will happen! cheers!
  • MarianDorn
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback ladies! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. :)
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I just joined MFP a little over a week ago and so far I have lost over 7 pounds. Although I am delighted, I am worried that it seems a bit fast.

Some background: I am 53, 5'9" and sitting at about 228 as of today. I have been battling with my weight for over 8 years now. I am on .225 synthroid meds now and hoping that perhaps it is what is helping me finally take off the weight. MFP has set my calories at 1200 per day. I have not been able to workout for the last few years because of medical problems, but try to do some yardwork and walk the dog at least 3 days per week. I work a desk job, so not much exercise there.

I guess my question is how much weight loss is TOO much each week? I am dying to get back to my "normal" 165#, but I don't want to find myself gaining the weight back because I lost it too fast.

Thank you for your feedback.

Hi and welcome! :)

I agree with the others, I wouldn't be concerned with how much you lose the first two weeks, especially if you have quite a lot to lose. Don't sweat it but prepare yourself to see lesser losses in the future (don't be disappointed then, it's normal).

But I would like to add sth else. Now, I don't want to be one of those people who shout "1200 calories a day is NOT enough - never - for nobody" (we are all different) but I'd just like to say that if at some point, you feel like you're always hungry or weak or if you find yourself bingeing a lot, upping your calories a bit might be good.

So far, if you're okay with how much you eat and happy with the results, keep doing what you're doing and don't worry about anything :flowerforyou:

Good luck!

xx
    Ginny