My First 5K

Options
sleitner
sleitner Posts: 33 Member
Last month I ran (actually jogged) my first 5K. By far, one of my biggest accomplishments to date. As a teenager and since, I hated the idea of running and avoided it any way possible. Though, at the same time, admired those who did because it seemed so out of my reach.

When I started this life-style change last year, my exercise plan mainly consisted of brisk walking on the treadmill, each few weeks increasing my speed and distance until I was jogging 4 miles 4x/week. Then last Fall, our treadmill took a dive. We replaced it with an elliptical as I kept hearing/reading you can burn more calories in the same amount of time as on a treadmill. And it did. And I enjoyed the change of pace. And it kicked my @$$. But, each month I felt the effort that I had invested in the treadmill dissipating.

Earlier this year my sister who has a few 5Ks under her belt mentioned she signed up for a local race. I had thought of joining but was nervous about having not been jogging on a treadmill for a while. She encouraged me to sign up saying I had plenty of time to get back into it and that at least I had been keeping up with my cardio with the elliptical. She went on to say that 3.1 miles is less than what I was doing on the treadmill but did point out running on pavement is harder. Well, I was up for the challenge, so, I signed up! I set my google countdown, printed the race route and posted it at my desk and on the refrigerator so it was a constant reminder that I needed to get out and train…I had three months.

On race day, my goals were not to stop and finish under 45 minutes. It was emotional just being in the crowd of about 1200 5Kers. The 1000 or so half marathoners were already about 40 minutes ahead of us. I had my ipod set with a fast, energetic play list and waited anxiously for the sound of the gun that would signal runners alike “GO”.

After all was said and done, I accomplished my goals of this run: to finish under 45 minutes, my time was 41.43 with no stopping. After all the times were posted, I was middle of the pack of other runners in my age range. Almost immediately, I wanted to sign up for another race. I am looking forward to my next one in Oct.

For those of you who are training for your first 5K or just thinking about it…it can be done.

Cheers!

Replies

• jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    That is awesome! I'm on week 7 of c25k. I can see my self attempting the 5k soon myself. I don't know about the 45 mins but I'll give it my all.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I used to be a runner in high school, then I hated it and made soccer my biggest passion. Then I got hurt and couldn't (still can't) play soccer and turned over to running. Runner's high is now my #1 addiction. I now try and run 1 race a month :)
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Good for you and congrats!! I love races, just the whole rush of them :) Keep it up girl!
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    Great job I finished my first race on June 5th and I had that same feeling you did it's so rewarding to complete something that you always thought you couldn't!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!