Keto help

Options
Anyone with success with keto mind giving the basic tips on how to get started? Staples or food prep ideas welcome!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Join the Low Carber Daily group for help. Quite a few are keto there.

My staples are meats (beef, pork, chicken), seafood (fish, shell fish), full fat dairy (cheese, butter 14% sourcream, cream cheese), eggs, veggies (not starchy root vegetables), nuts and seeds (macadamias, chia) and a few other foods like coconut (oil and shredded), olives and avocado.

I skip added sugar, grains (corn, oats, wheat, rice) and high GI fruits. I severely limit starchy veggies.

Beyond that, I eat pretty normal. Tacos would have me skip the shell and limit the salsa. A salad has full fat dressing and no croutons. Dinner is usually a meat and a veggie or two. Breakfast is bacon and eggs or a coffee with cream or coconut oil. My eating does not stand out as unusual unless I am with people eating carb heavy like pasta, pizza, a muffin based brunch, or a dessert buffet.
  • brighteststitcher
    brighteststitcher Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4 of keto and I am loving it. I have had more success, faster, with this more than anything else. Some great things to have on hand: Torani sugar free flavored syrups, swerve sweetener (granulated erythritol) for keto treats, lots of bacon, eggs, cheese, and salami. Cream cheese, heavy cream, full fat ranch, cruciferous veggies (my faves are broccoli and cauliflower), coffee, LOTS of butter (kerrygold, if you can)

There's also a great fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/ketogenicsuccess/?fref=nf that i get constant inspiration/recipes from. It's been super helpful.

The great thing about it is that it's so adaptable - want a burger? Get one without a bun - mexican? Fajitas with lots of sour cream and cheese and no tortilla. Ice cream? Eat a little halo top.

Add me if you like, let me know if you have any other questions and I'll see if I can answer them. I'm a little bit of a newbie, but if I can be of any help let me know. Also, check out the book Keto Clarity. Lots of helpful info.