newby with bad knees

Options
Hi everyone this is my first day with my fitness pal. I am looking foward to making friends and get help with loosing wieght. I am looking for good ideas for exercises because I have bad knees as well. I don not have a gym membership so what can I do at home. I will start walking 3 mile tomorrow.

Replies

• blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    heiii and welcome, im Mon.

you didnt say your height and weight / how much you want to lose, and you didnt specify your knee problems.

but youtube some videos, with walking, maybe gettin a stat. bike to help strenghten the muscles around the knees would and will be good, so thatway your stamina and possibilities will improve,
  • vsawyers357
    vsawyers357 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am 5"4 and I 200 lbs my knees have broken cartilage
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    http://life.gaiam.com/article/best-cardio-exercises-bad-knees here you go here are a few excersises.

you should look on youtube some pop pilates videos from cassey ho, she has some that dont involve the knees, and yet are very affective
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    3 miles on day one may be too much for bad knees. Start with one mile, time it and see how long it takes you to walk it. Work on making that one mile faster THEN work up to 2 miles, then 3.

I have bad knees too and I do not run. I walk about 3 miles twice a week now but I've taken 3 years to work up to that. I also take chondroitin and glucosamine and have been for about a year and half. it took about a year for me notice the effects but I wouldn't be without it now!

squats are a good way to build up the muscles around the knees. Just do what you can and add weights once you can do them comfortably without.

edited to add that I also have damaged cartilage in my knees. You can work up to walking 3 miles a session but it will take time.
  • vsawyers357
    Options
    Thanks, good looking out
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Check with your doctor or your local hospital they might have a therapy / fitness center that you can use for a low cost with a swimming pool Swimming pools are great for people with bad knees and most major hospitals have some sort of therapy / fitness center but it's not widely advertised, you have to actually ask about it.
  • vsawyers357
    Options
    Good ideal, I'll look into it. Thanks
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Swimming might be a good option for you. My mom also has bad knees, and she's been going to the pool a lot this summer and just water jogging and using a noodle to help her float so she can work her legs. She got her right knee replaced last year, and is looking to have her left knee done as well.
  • kzakian
    kzakian Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I've only been on here for less than a month so far, but feel free to add me as a friend if you want some support.

I don't have bad knees but I had noticed that running made them hurt a lot because of the weight my legs had to support with a high-impact exercise. I've been using the elliptical every second day and I've found it really easy on the knees and I can go for about half an hour without my body hurting.

But apart from that, maybe try some heavy arm lifting. You don't need to use your knees and it's really great for toning!
  • vsawyers357
    Options
    Thanks for the invite I have added you to my friend list.
  • vsawyers357
    Options
    K, thanks
  • WendySturdevant
    Options
    I'm new here also, a friend got me started a couple of days ago.
    I started out with walking around the block until it became easy then added an extra block, I'm up to 6 blocks with a puppy. You need to start your goals low until you build yourself up, if you try to push yourself to much to fast you will fail. Been there done that.

I also bought The Workout with Chris Powell. There is 3 levels to start out with, level 1 being the easiest and you work at your own pace.

Good luck, you may add me if you wish :smile:
  • jreneecal
    jreneecal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I too have bad knees, in fact I had arthroscopic surgery on one and next would have to have a total knee replacement. At 52 years old I'm trying to put that off as long as possible. Just joined MFP in June so I'm pretty new too. I do as much walking as possible but I have an elliptical machine that I love and can also use my husbands stationary bike. There are also quite a few low impact u tube videos. If you'd like another friend feel free to add me.
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    Welcome Val....excited you are here!!!! Woo hoo!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Walk At Home exercise DVDs by Leslie Sansone

These are basically low impact, no choreography (no twisty moves) ....aerobics. The good thing about these is that you can customize these to your fitness level. As your level increases you can add higher knees, bigger arms, light weights ...just go at your own pace if needed.

Here's a youtube sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjduJjO1pLg&feature=related

DVDs are sold at Wal-Mart, Target, Amazon ...I like DVDs because they are chaptered .... you can skip around.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I also have a wonky knee, I just walk, I agree with suggestion not to aim too high at first

Just walk to the shops, or even park in far corner of supermarket car park and gradually build it up

I also use glucosamine , it is not magic bullet, more long term

*kitten* me if you wish
  • vsawyers357
    Options
    (:
  • vsawyers357
    Options
    Thanks
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also have bad knees.

I do chair exercises for my Abs.
    I walk 30 mins a day.

Have you thought about Aqua Exercises? They say exercise is easier in the pool because the water is buoyant.

Add me as a friend if you wish.
    If you find exercises that work for you, Let me know.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP!! I can tell you that the Knees WILL get better as you lose weight. There are a TON of Chair Exercises on YouTube so you can even exercise without Stressing your Knees or when the Weather is Bad.
    :heart: No Excuses!!
    :smile: Start slow and increase our Activity gradually as your Knees get better.
    Small Steps Really DO Lead To BIG CHANGES:drinker: