Little/No appetite

Options
I know this is a problem most people would love to have. I figured it would only last a few days but it has been about a week. I am afraid I am doing bad to my body. I still manage to get in around 1000-1100 calories, although one day it was about 600. I am literally having to make myself eat. So -- any thoughts? Should I ride this out and listen to my body? Or does anyone have ideas on higher calorie/small portion/healthy meals? I portioned out a cup of cottage cheese and 6 triscuits for lunch -- I have eaten 4 triscuits and 1/3 of the cottage cheese and I feel done.

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't force myself to eat...there have been days when I've forgotten to eat entirely and I was no worse for the wear.
    Is it possible that you may be logging less than you've actually eaten? Are you eating foods you like? Have you tried working out? ...that could increase your appetite! What's your calorie goal? 1000-1100 net is a "normal" day for me.
  • fallingwave
    fallingwave Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Your profile says you had WLS, so your problem should come as no surprise. Are there not liquid dietary supplements made for WLS patients to add extra calories when needed? Or Ensure is available without a prescription.

It has been almost 3 years (11/22) and it is a drastic change from what it was a few weeks ago. I have been doing some protein drinks to try and supplement, but they are so low in calories. I have struggled to get off my weight... even after having WLS I am halfway to my goal. My doctor told me to increase my calories to 1500 (she is fully aware of my surgery) and I'm lucky to get 1000-1100 the last week or so. Before that wouldn't have been difficult.
  • fallingwave
    Options
    Personally, I don't force myself to eat...there have been days when I've forgotten to eat entirely and I was no worse for the wear.
    Is it possible that you may be logging less than you've actually eaten? Are you eating foods you like? Have you tried working out? ...that could increase your appetite! What's your calorie goal? 1000-1100 net is a "normal" day for me.

I've been very careful with measuring, but it's always a possibility I'm not exact with my measurements. My calorie goal was 1200 but my doctor told me I wasn't eating enough (weight was just not coming off) and told me to increase to 1500. 1200 was easy. I figured 1500 was easy. But this last week 1000 is my norm. I am nowhere near goal weight. I do exercise - about 1 hr 3-4 times per week.

I did a little googling - not always the best - but stress can be a factor. Damn... I used to be the opposite and want to binge so stress didn't cross my mind.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

I've been very careful with measuring, but it's always a possibility I'm not exact with my measurements. My calorie goal was 1200 but my doctor told me I wasn't eating enough (weight was just not coming off) and told me to increase to 1500. 1200 was easy. I figured 1500 was easy. But this last week 1000 is my norm. I am nowhere near goal weight. I do exercise - about 1 hr 3-4 times per week.

I did a little googling - not always the best - but stress can be a factor. Damn... I used to be the opposite and want to binge so stress didn't cross my mind.

As in measuring cups? You mentioned above portioning out a cup of cottage cheese...
  • fallingwave
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

As in measuring cups? You mentioned above portioning out a cup of cottage cheese...

Yes - for the cottage cheese I used a measuring cup
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

If you use measuring cups for most things then you are very likely eating more than you think.
  • fallingwave
    Options

If you use measuring cups for most things then you are very likely eating more than you think.

....how???
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Also if you are not losing at 1200 raising to 1500 is not going to help. I agree you are eating more than you think since you don't use a food scale.
  • fallingwave
    Options
    My container of cottage cheese is 16 oz. I ate 1 cup one day. I cup another. 2nd time there was no less than the first... seems as though my measuring cup is accurate.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Weight will be a more accurate depiction of calorie count.

You can stuff a lot of cheese into a cup and still call it a cup.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    There's some video's floating around about the inaccuracies of cup measurements. Buy a digital food scale and use it for all solid foods, leave the cups for fluids only.

Here's one of those videos:

https://youtu.be/JVjWPclrWVY

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Also, measuring cups and spoons are a pain in the butt to clean after every use. Weighing food saves time :+1:
  • fallingwave
    Options
    I definitely need to invest in one