Boosting metabolism

Options
baldhahir
baldhahir Posts: 3 Member
Any advice on boosting metabolic rate and promoting faster healing and recovery post workout? I'm showing progress in fat loss but it's very slow.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    The only ways to boost metabolism are to be more active during the day or to build muscle. There are no supplements, foods, or voodoo that will speed up your metabolism. Slow loss is still loss and it's all just going to take time.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Boost your calories by 600, believe it or not, it will raise your metabolism.

Bit not by 600 so if 600 puts you above the tour order you will gain
  • usmcmp
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

That's an interesting suggestion seeing as how you don't know what his intake is or any of his stats. If he's only at a deficit of 500 calories you just told him to eat at maintenance. What if his real problem is that he doesn't log accurately? You may have just encouraged him to eat at a surplus.

You're right, I don't know what his current caloric intake is, but obviously his metabolism has slowed down so he needs a boost. When you restrict your calories and feed your body less energy than it burns, your metabolism naturally begins slowing down (burning less energy). The more you restrict your calories, the faster and greater the down-regulation. He doesn't have to boost it all at once ( I do), but perhaps work his way up in 100-150 calorie increments. When my metabolism takes a crap on me, I boost, then reevaluate after two weeks and normally it's right on target. Is there some kind of deadline that he has to meet to where the past 2 weeks of increased calories has screwed him for life?

How do you know his metabolism has slowed? It's his first post, no open diary, no statistics, pretty much zero information. If he's only been dieting a month or is inconsistent with logging he's definitely not experiencing the negative hormonal fluctuations that happen with extremely restrictive eating. It is far from "obvious" his metabolism has slowed because there is no information provided by him.
  • usmcmp
    Options

That's an interesting suggestion seeing as how you don't know what his intake is or any of his stats. If he's only at a deficit of 500 calories you just told him to eat at maintenance. What if his real problem is that he doesn't log accurately? You may have just encouraged him to eat at a surplus.

You're right, I don't know what his current caloric intake is, but obviously his metabolism has slowed down so he needs a boost. When you restrict your calories and feed your body less energy than it burns, your metabolism naturally begins slowing down (burning less energy). The more you restrict your calories, the faster and greater the down-regulation. He doesn't have to boost it all at once ( I do), but perhaps work his way up in 100-150 calorie increments. When my metabolism takes a crap on me, I boost, then reevaluate after two weeks and normally it's right on target. Is there some kind of deadline that he has to meet to where the past 2 weeks of increased calories has screwed him for life?

How do you know his metabolism has slowed? It's his first post, no open diary, no statistics, pretty much zero information. If he's only been dieting a month or is inconsistent with logging he's definitely not experiencing the negative hormonal fluctuations that happen with extremely restrictive eating. It is far from "obvious" his metabolism has slowed because there is no information provided by him.

How do you know he's inconsistent with logging or anything about his logging habits? How do you know he's only been dieting a month? Perhaps he started his diet, came here when it was going nowhere, and the fat loss is still slowed?

That's why I said "if" rather than making a statement about how obviously his metabolism has slowed. My original post here answers his question no matter what point he is at with the process. Yours makes some big assumptions with no information, which is why I pointed out that your suggestion of increasing calories is odd.
  • usmcmp
    Options

How do you know he's inconsistent with logging or anything about his logging habits? How do you know he's only been dieting a month? Perhaps he started his diet, came here when it was going nowhere, and the fat loss is still slowed?

That's why I said "if" rather than making a statement about how obviously his metabolism has slowed. My original post here answers his question no matter what point he is at with the process. Yours makes some big assumptions with no information, which is why I pointed out that your suggestion of increasing calories is odd.

Yeah, your original answer was very helpful "it's all just going to take time".

Yep, that's all my post said.

To the guy who started this thread:. Make your food diary public and give us some information. Age, weight, height, activity level, and what you are doing for exercise. The more information we have the better we can help you.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    The only ways to boost metabolism are to be more active during the day or to build muscle. There are no supplements, foods, or voodoo that will speed up your metabolism. Slow loss is still loss and it's all just going to take time.

More activity means burning more calories, not necessarily increasing your bmr. Building muscle will increase bmr but that's not likely to happen in a deficit. You aren't going to boost your metabolism whilst being in a deficit... So eating more is probably a more appropriate answer. Along with resistance training, you might actually increase muscle mass to increase bmr even more
  • usmcmp
    Options

More activity means burning more calories, not necessarily increasing your bmr. Building muscle will increase bmr but that's not likely to happen in a deficit. You aren't going to boost your metabolism whilst being in a deficit... So eating more is probably a more appropriate answer. Along with resistance training, you might actually increase muscle mass to increase bmr even more

More activity means a higher NEAT, which increases TDEE. It's one factor in the amount of calories burned. You're right that it doesn't increase BMR. Increasing BMR takes time. A new lifter can increase their lean mass in a deficit, that's been thoroughly discussed in the debate section. My suggestion of more non-exercise activity is to increase calorie burn in the short term beyond what can be done working out.

Once again, without knowing any factors about the OP we have no idea how long he has been dieting or how consistent he is. Until knowing those I think suggesting he eat more is a shot in the dark at best.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    How do you know he's inconsistent with logging or anything about his logging habits?

She doesn't, and neither do you - that's the point. Nobody in here knows these things. So it's not "obvious" what the diagnosis is here.

These threads would go better if everybody would stick to the facts; when there aren't many facts available, let's not make ones up. :smile:
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

Have some pizza, it'll work itself out.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

tumblr_lglifuT3f11qe02uto1_500.png

Amen.

• usmcmp
    Options
    How do you know he's inconsistent with logging or anything about his logging habits?

She doesn't, and neither do you - that's the point. Nobody in here knows these things. So it's not "obvious" what the diagnosis is here.

These threads would go better if everybody would stick to the facts; when there aren't many facts available, let's not make ones up. :smile:

He asked for advice on boosting metabolic rate during slow fat loss, I gave it to him, he can take it or leave it. I will bet everything I have that I am correct on what my diagnosis is, it may not be obvious to you, her, or anyone else kissing her a ss. I do not care.

Disagreeing with you doesn't constitute kissing my butt. They're pointing out that an accurate suggestion on calorie intake requires more information. I'm not even going to make a guess or assumptions because I've seen people on here say they are losing slow because they are "only" losing two pounds per week. I'll wait to make more personalized suggestions if he returns with his stats and an open diary. If it turns out he needs to eat more I will say it and state that you were right with no hesitation.
  • baldhahir
    Options
    Wow a lot of replies here, thanks everyone. Some stats for you. I accurately log in all my food intake. I'm 39, 182cm and currently weigh 91kg. I would say my diet is very low in carbs and 50:50 fats and protein overall.
  • baldhahir
    Options
    I do lift weights once a week and I do 1.5 hrs of muay thai class once a week. My sleep is good but I just can't shift that last layer of fat off my abs area. Any suggestions?