Coping mechanisms.

Options
I've always had terrible coping mechanisms.
In may I gave birth to my 3rd child under 5 years of age and she also has health problems.
Not quite 6m yet and has already had an open heart surgery and her next surgery is planned for 2 weeks. I obviously can't exercise whenever I want , and the stress is really getting to me and a I can do to comfort myself is eat.
Any suggestions??

Replies

• RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've got three under 6, and my 3yo was just diagnosed with autism. Sometimes I just want to sit on the couch, cry, and stuff my face. I'm finding brisk walks with the 3yo and 1.5yo in the stroller and the 6yo along side it really helps. The fresh air clears everyone's minds. Then after, we all share some hot chocolate and popcorn.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to a therapist?
    How would you rather be?
    What would it take for you to get there?
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    My sister was in your shoes. She had 4 kiddos under 3 years old - 2 sets of twins. One of the youngest had a severe heart birth defect and had 6 open heart surgeries.

Your situation is extremely difficult and stressful. My personal recommendation is to utilize whatever home equipment you can. Also lean on those who are willing to help with the kids so you can have alone time to destress. Best wishes to you!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Focus on eating well. You need nourishment to be able to take care of yourself and your family.

Exercise is not that important for weight management, so you don't have to plan exercise. But moving is good for your health.

Find something else than eating to relieve stress. Exercise is actually quite effective for relieving stress. At any rate, finding time for you is a must.

Maybe you can benefit from therapy, therapy can be a way to learn functional coping mechanisms, not just "fix you because you're crazy".