It's long and boring but I needed to post it...

2»

Replies

• nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    Would you chastise a friend as harshly as you've done to yourself for such a slip? Stop it. Focus on your accomplishments, shake it off, and move on.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Slips happen! Just log in the calories, and don't do it too often. Keep up the good habits you've built over the long term and don't let a slip derail you. Fortunately Halloween candy snatching is a once a year event... I am avoiding grocery shopping this week because I know I would come home with mini peanut butter cups because they were "on sale." That is one thing I cannot exercise any portion control over.

I would apologize to the kid though - I still remember my parents "stealing" my candy. So I would hide it. Way too well. Ask about the ants (or maybe don't).
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    I agree with the rest..just move one don't have anymore and stay on track. You have done well and will continue too. I know how it is, I've slipped in the past and my attitude back then was oh geez..the next day I would do it again till I stopped weighing every day stopped logging and gained my weight back. This time around I know I am human, I will have a slip and though I will try not too but I will continue to log, weigh and be accountable. Its done, over now lets all do this together! We can do it.
  • katcashion
    katcashion Posts: 2 Member
    edited November 2016
    I think it safe to say.......we all slip......this is a life Journey with all kinds of challenges, just learn to forgive yourself and continue on. Something hopefully you can teach to your children? :) btw ~ Congratulations!! 73# is Amazing!!!!!
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    I did the same thing! I ate about 12-15 of those fun size bars, along with some Reese's pb cups, and felt sick the next day! I also felt a little bad about the calories, but then I thought about how it's taken me 3.5 months (100 days) to lose 15 lbs--they're not going to go back on in one night!

Or, you can also look at it this way: the 73 lbs you've lost so far represent losing 255,500 calories worth of (mostly) fat. Is 1800 calories or so in one night really going to affect much? No, especially if you pick yourself up and get back to your deficit (or maintenance or whatever) the next day.
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    I understand why you don't want to just disregard this experience. I've lost weight and then gained all or most of it back a number of times, and it sucks. You've been very successful at losing the weight (-73 pounds is an amazing accomplishment!), and you naturally want to keep it off.

It seems to me that your post here is a good kind of penance: You've publicly acknowledged that you regret having eaten so much candy at one time, so you're very unlikely to do it again soon. In a sense, you're holding yourself accountable in a way that lets you move on. Very smart!

• Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    edited November 2016
    I recently had a weekend like this. Olive Garden gets me every time. I started to feel the slippery slope thing too because it happened 2x in a row but this week I've been back on track and have accepted that times like this will inevitably happen. I ended up around maintenence for the week. At first I thought "Maintenance? Noooo!!" And then I thought about where I came from. I didn't gain. I knew there were still limits in place and dammit that Chicken Alfredo and gnocchi soup was delicious! Free yourself of the guilt and continue your journey. There is no race to the finish line when there isn't one. This is our new way of life. Forever. And I promise I'll be eating at Olive Garden more during this lifetime. ;)
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    I hope you replace his candy bars:):) JOKE- You will be fine the stress of this event is probably burning those calories as I type.. lol-- Just get back onboard tomorrow look yourself in the mirror and say " I GOT THIS" Good Luck
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Ditch the guilt as it serves no purpose.
    Don't let a small relapse become a collapse!
    You are a winner because you made the choice to lose weight and get health.
    As many before have said... today is a new day. Any weight gain is likely to be water.... make sure you drink, drink, drink lots of water for a few days.
    I'm just back off holiday with my son & family. A week of two glasses of wine a night and a few lapses saw a kg arrive. Got back to my usual ways and within a week it's gone.
    You can do this :-)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    It wasn't long, it wasn't boring, and we've all probably been there! Understand the fear, but don't give this episode more power than it deserves. It happened & you'll move on. It'll probably happen again some day (or some version of it). But as several previous posters have wisely pointed out, these will simply be blips in a lifetime of good eating habits. I am curious though- mostly for my own benefit- how have you handled stressful days prior to this? (You are doing a phenomenal job, BTW! :) )
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    The only failure is the failure to continue what you are doing right. Ok, you ate extra candy, move on and keep your eye on the end goal. Let yourself not be so hung up on what you did yesterday that you fail to realize that tomorrow is just around the corner. Focus on today and tomorrow, not yesterday. You have not failed, you are not miserable. You've accomplished some very important things so keep on going.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    The same thing here, I must have eaten about 20 fun size candies the last couple days. I got on the scale yesterday after a week of not looking and it said I'd gained 4 pounds, so obviously it's more than the candies, and I felt so depressed. Today I tried the scale again and it was back to normal! The candies will NOT weigh anything more than your mind unless you make a habit of it, you are NOT a slave to your past, and it sounds like you've accepted that that's not who you ARE anymore!! Making bad decisions does not make you bad. Try not to do it again, and find a way for your body to thank you for the good choices you do make -> maybe you can "atone" for it by being extra active this weekend.

Candy, big dinners, lazy days -> they will ALWAYS be there for you, you can have one whenever you want so there's no need to see them as "opportunity" -> you aren't the person you're so scared of being, you're not her, you are a strong woman who has lost a ton of weight, who can indulge sometimes without being addicted to it, who can love the body she's in, that is who you are and who you will stay.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Count the calories of what you ate.. and burn it off with exercise. Teach your subconscious mind that for every action there is an equal or greater reaction. So instead of feeling sorry for yourself.. get your rear on the elliptical for a total of 2 hours. Break up the time. .do what you must.. But work it off.. and then you won't have any reason for a pity party.

No, don't do this. This is pretty close to the definition of "exercise bulimia. You don't need to punish yourself. Jus get back on track. Skip tomorrow's weigh in and move on.
  • lauramdx4
    lauramdx4 Posts: 33 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    It wasn't long, it wasn't boring, and we've all probably been there! Understand the fear, but don't give this episode more power than it deserves. It happened & you'll move on. It'll probably happen again some day (or some version of it). But as several previous posters have wisely pointed out, these will simply be blips in a lifetime of good eating habits. I am curious though- mostly for my own benefit- how have you handled stressful days prior to this? (You are doing a phenomenal job, BTW! :) )

Try2again, I usually try to go to the gym when I'm stressed but I couldn't get there that night....and i can never find the motivation to exercise at home. Today was a better day. I even stayed under my calories:)

Thanks to all for the encouraging words!

And, just for the record ... all the candy I ate had peanuts and my son has a peanut allergy soooooo I guess technically I was helping him. :) No need to pay him back LOL
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    lauramdx4 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »

Try2again, I usually try to go to the gym when I'm stressed but I couldn't get there that night....and i can never find the motivation to exercise at home. Today was a better day. I even stayed under my calories:)

Thanks to all for the encouraging words!

And, just for the record ... all the candy I ate had peanuts and my son has a peanut allergy soooooo I guess technically I was helping him. :) No need to pay him back LOL

This is great---you saved him! Keep on truckin'