Struggles with clothing sizes

Options
Hi everyone,

I was wondering where people are able to find clothes that fit. I don't consider myself to be very small I am female, 5'4" and 124ish lbs and apparently that translates to a US petite size 1/2 jeans and extra small shirts. I spent a lot of my life overweight and I don't like dressing like a circus tent now. I don't necessarily want tight clothes but I do want fitted. Where do you shop for reasonably priced, casual clothes? I seem to have a lot of trouble finding my size.

Thanks!

Replies

• TangledThread
    TangledThread Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Yes. This. I'm still a Petite Medium in shirts but am now about that size in jeans and none of the brands I wore in the past make my new size.

American Eagle, The Limited, Macy's and Nordstroms, Talbots, Forever 21, Ann Tylor, Loft, and H&M

Don't be fooled by H&M stopping at a size 2 the measurements are smaller than other stores 0.

Disclaimer: I bought my new wardrobe used from Savers. But the brands I bought all came from those stores.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!! I'll have to look into these especially H&M. They were one of those stores that never made anything to fit me and it was sad because they were so cheap! (although the clothes are cheaply made too)
  • TangledThread
    Options
    Do it. I believe I'm a size 8 and a size M-L there when I'm a size 2-0 and size PM-XS in other stores. I find it refreshing since I'm the smallest I've ever been but I'm not tiny. (Not that I've ever been inside the store myself, just going by the sizing guide online and the few pieces in my closet.)

You're right about the quality, I find it similar to Forever 21 and Old Navy.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Goodwill/thrift shops. Remember, often the stuff that ends up there is stuff that people "outgrew." Nice selection of smaller sizes
  • tahxirez
    Options
    I'll have to try a thrift shop in a more affluent area I think. I live in a rural, somewhat low income area of New York State and when I went to our local Salvation Army to look around I was kind of grossed out and the whole place smelled vaguely of cigarette smoke. I'm frugal but I'd rather pay full price in that situation. Its really about making the time to get to areas with some of these stores (I loathe shopping and shopping malls.)
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,158 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Just remember sizes are not consistent between clothing brands. So, you will need to find brands you like and fit in rather than depending on the stores themselves that carry a variety of brands. Right now, I've lost almost 20 pounds, and I'm now fitting in pants from my closet that range from 6 to 12, depending on the brand - it is crazy. I find shirts to be a little more consistent than pants though, but it is probably because I wear mostly casual shirts that are generically sized (ie, XS/S/M/L).

Many of the high end stores (Norstroms, Talbot's, etc) carry what I'd call vanity sized brands...ie, you will need to get a size 2 even though you may really be a size 8. However, I find their brands tend to be more consistent within the brand for sizing...ie, a 2 is a 2 is a 2 - they all fit pretty much the same.

I find lower end/cheaper/casual stores like Target, Old Navy, or even Walmart carry brands that tend to run closer to what the US/ASTM Standard sizing is, but even still, it's good to check a sizing chart for that brand to see what size you are for their brands too. Also, I do find more variety within the sizes of the brands of lower end/cheaper stores. Sometimes a 6 will fit if it was cut large, and other times I need an 8 if it is cut consistently. I even have two pair of pants - same brand, same style, same size, bought on the same day from the same store...one fits, the other is still smidge too tight. (I typically try on a pair and buy multiples...silly me.)

It sucks, but you pretty much have to go in and try things on because nothing is consistent...which is the part of shopping that I absolutely dislike.
  • tahxirez
    Options
    Yeah I always try on clothing. I work too hard to buy something that doesn't fit :). Its interesting that you think that Old Navy and such carry true(r) to size clothing. I've always found them to be much larger than I'd expect. Hm something to think about for sure.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing about "true" sized clothing. I haven't had the chance to do "serious" shopping lately, other than pulling a bunch of once-too-small clothes out of the attic (yay!), but I did recently go shopping at Macy's. I tried on a corduroy skirt from one of their store brands, I think Cross Creek, in a size 6, and I was swimming in it. I tried on a size 6 Denim & Supply Ralph Lauren dress, and it fit nearly perfectly (double yay!!) except for a teeny gap thru the buttons at the bosom, so I went the the 8, which fit okay of not as cutely as the 6 through the rest of the body. I was also able to fit in the small tops (I am 5'6" and 140 lbs and have been lifting).

Earlier this year, I got quite a few things from a Tommy Hilfiger outlet store, which were reasonably priced on sale, and very good quality. Very good options for both casual and business casual.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    How far are you from Destiny USA (in Syracuse)? They have every conceivable store at that mall...lol! I'm originally from that area. I'm petite as well - 5'2" - and I really like Forever 21 for skirts and dresses. For pants and jeans, I usually shop at Macy's or The Gap. Good to try a variety of stores, to see what you like, and what fits.
  • tahxirez
    Options
    becky10rp wrote: »
    How far are you from Destiny USA (in Syracuse)? They have every conceivable store at that mall...lol! I'm originally from that area. I'm petite as well - 5'2" - and I really like Forever 21 for skirts and dresses. For pants and jeans, I usually shop at Macy's or The Gap. Good to try a variety of stores, to see what you like, and what fits.

I'm a bit of a hike from Syracuse but I am an ESF alum so I actually do make it that way a few times a year...maybe I should take a little trip that way and I can stop at the Waterloo outlets too!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth the trip!! I'm originally from Marcellus, NY - live in Maryland now, but everytime I go back to visit my Dad, we end up at Destiny....can't be helped!
  • sisxena
    sisxena Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    tahxirez wrote: »
    Yeah I always try on clothing. I work too hard to buy something that doesn't fit :). Its interesting that you think that Old Navy and such carry true(r) to size clothing. I've always found them to be much larger than I'd expect. Hm something to think about for sure.

My experience with Old navy is, you will have to:
    1. make sure you read the label. not only the size
    2. try on their clothes.
    (because if you find a description for instance on a pant that fits you the way you like. You can get every single color and print with the same description on not try all of them on)

Once you know what kind of description fits you best, it will be easy even to shop online. This has a lot to do with their size too.

Maybe something called boyfriend(bla bla bla) will fit very big on you.
    On the other hand a rocker(bla bla bla) may fit perfectly in the same size.

I hope this helped.
  • TangledThread
    edited November 2016
    Options
    tahxirez wrote: »

I agree with you about Old Navy when it comes to vanity sizing. At Old Navy I'm a 0-00 Short and a 0 Petite, while most other brands I'm a 2-0 Short and a 2 Petite. My local Old Navy doesn't stock jeans small enough for me. I could order them online with free shipping but...
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    For casual you could try the girl's department. I can wear a size 16 XL in girl's pants comfortably and I'm between 5'4'' and 5'5''. They're the perfect length. That equates to a size 5 so a girl's 12 or 14 medium or large might fit if they're long enough.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    For casual you could try the girl's department. I can wear a size 16 XL in girl's pants comfortably and I'm between 5'4'' and 5'5''. They're the perfect length. That equates to a size 5 so a girl's 12 or 14 medium or large might fit if they're long enough.

That is a great idea. I am jealous (I wouldn't fit), because that is where so many super-super cute clothes are (I just get them for my daughter and admire them on her). I've gotten boy's XL oxford shirts in pretty colors that fit me and are very well priced at Children's Place. It's sad when the only shopping I can do for myself is grabbing something as I wheel my cart by in Target, or at a children's clothing store, ha ha!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah definitely not Old Navy. I'm medium framed with a 29 inch waist and fit in their size 3 pants... and most XS shirts with my 34 D chest... so it really makes me wonder what small women can wear there.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yeah definitely not Old Navy. I'm medium framed with a 29 inch waist and fit in their size 3 pants... and most XS shirts with my 34 D chest... so it really makes me wonder what small women can wear there.

I think a lot of their clothes just have a sloppy cut to them. I have some cute, fitted things, like capris, but their tops seem to be pretty bad. Maybe it is the trend, but I noticed that the shirts I got for my very slim daughter (size 10-12) have a really sloppy cut as well.
  • tahxirez
    Options
    @CaptainJoy That is genius! I have bought running clothes and sweatshirts in childrens but never tried pants! and I think the kids today like that baggy/sloppy look to their clothes. So not me now that i'm somewhat fit. I mean when I'm heavy I'm pleased to have a little wiggle (jiggle) room but not when an extra small shirt could fit me and my dog in it.
  • TangledThread
    edited November 2016
    Options

Old Navy was the first store that I went to (it was a whim after a hair cut) when I started replacing my wardrobe. I was able to fit into one XS shirt and a 0 Petite that someone bought online and returned to the store. I spent the rest of the weekend at a festival and while people watching I would think "That person can't shop at old Navy" and "That person can't shop at old Navy" and "That whole family can't shop at Old Navy" and "Wow, I wonder where she shops. Would it be weird if I asked?" I've never thought so much about clothes in my life.

I do go back (after every hair cut, lol) and check their selection of XS shirts.

edit to add: someone in the affluent neighborhood that feeds my Savers must do a ton of online shopping at Old Navy. I do have some barely used 0 and 00 Short jeans that I'm pleased with.

• Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options

I think a lot of their clothes just have a sloppy cut to them. I have some cute, fitted things, like capris, but their tops seem to be pretty bad. Maybe it is the trend, but I noticed that the shirts I got for my very slim daughter (size 10-12) have a really sloppy cut as well.

I agree - ON is terrible quality. I think most of their clothes look awful because they're cut so badly. I fit in a 2 in their clothes but they look like *kitten*. I'd rather spend a bit more/get a bigger size and look better.
    OP someone mentioned H&M. Because it's a European brand the sizes come up smaller and they have some really cute stuff. Same for Zara - I have to size up when I shop in there.
    I was in Nordstrom Rack last week trying on jeans. I tried on 2 pairs of skinny cut. One was a size 4 and I couldn't even pull them up they were so small. The others were a size 2 and roomy. It's bizarre how brands differ.