How long do you exercise

Options
Losewtforlife4him
Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
edited November 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
How long do you exercise for and what does your exercise routine look like?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Varies from day to day but my typical off-season week looks like....

Mon AM Gym/strength 45 min -or- indoor rowing
    Mon PM Spinning class 1hr

Tues AM 8 -10 km easy run
    Tues PM 1 hrs on bike trainer (intervals) in winter, in summer I'll usually take my bike to work on Monday & ride home Tues

Wed AM same as Monday
    Wed PM evening off or low intensity ride on bike trainer

Thu AM same as Tuesday
    The PM pool lane swimming (not very consistent with this one)

Fri AM same as Mon/Wed
    Fri PM bike commute in summer, low intensity ride in fall/winter

Sat brick workout (bike ride followed by run)

Sun coached pool session & long slow run (16km or so)

but my routine is based on preparation for duathlons / triathlons, normal people don't need to do this much (it's all premised on what your goals are) for just all 'round good health half an hour daily of moderate intensity activity is all that's needed (walking, hiking, riding, swimming....your choice based on what you enjoy)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    About an hour, five days a week, strength training.
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy with a powerlifting coach 4x a week. Sessions go from an hour to an hour and a half. I've been known to run out of time at my 6AM session, so I come back for accessory work later in the day. :) I also teach/take barre classes several times a week, so a typical week looks like this:

M: Lower Body/Barre
    T: Rest Day
    W: Upper Body/Barre/Teach Barre
    Th: Rest Day or Barre
    F: Lower Body/Barre
    S: Conditioning/Barre/Teach Barre
    Su: Upper Body/Teach Barre

It looks like a lot, and it is, but it's working extremely well for me. I spend a lot of time with my foam roller, and I definitely eat a LOT more food than many people here. Barre is low impact, and its been the perfect compliment to powerlifting - core and glute strength for days!

I've been doing this for a while though. Definitely not recommended for someone who is just starting to exercise to jump into a program like this!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    About 2 hours lifting 4x a week. Usually 1 hour spent working on my heavy lift (bench/squat/or deadlift, whatever it is for the day) and 1 hour of accessory work after. Plus whatever I feel I need for recovery in between (walking, foam rolling/stretching, etc)
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Preferably my workouts would be 45-60 minutes but I have very limited time in the mornings before work so if I wake up at 4:30am then I can get in 25-30 minutes before I have to start getting ready. I alternate running and strength training since I obviously don't have time for both. On the weekends if I go I can spend anywhere from 45 - 90 minutes of actual exercise depending on how good I feel. I've got a 2 hour max time for the gym daycare.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do strength training three days a week for about 30 minutes. Then I typically add a walk for 25-30 minutes. The other four days I run for about 45-50 minutes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Mine varies. I typically do about 20 - 30 min of strength training 5 days a week (currently using Total Gym).

When the weather is nice enough I usually hike for 30-60 min a few days a week, and shoot some hoops with my husband a few evenings a week. These may or may not be on the same day.

When the weather is nice I also get exercise through gardening and yard work (we have a farm). And from chopping/splitting firewood year round. When garden/yard work isn't needed outside or it's not nice enough for basketball, I'll often do some step aerobics while watching TV to get in more cardio.

Other than the strength training, I mostly just try not to sit too much and stay active doing things I enjoy.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    So much "it depends!"

Lifting usually takes about an hour.

How long a bike ride takes depends how long I have and (to a lesser extent) how nice it is out. Hours on weekends.

Hiking is usually a "most of the day" thing.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Mondays - Nada, that's my rest day
    Tuesdays - Sunday 90 minutes each day in the mornings before getting ready for work

In the winter it's usually 35 min cardio, 55-60 min cross training
    When the weather is nice I'll switch out some of those days for a hour or so of walking/jogging with 30-35 min cross training

So for me it averages 6 days a week, 90 min per day for up to a 1000 calorie burn give or take 50 cals. I'll occasionally add in an extra rest day depending on what the body wants and drop it to 5 days a week.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    3-4x per week I do 45min strength training, then on Thurs I do 1hr of yoga. I'm also generally active on my feet most of the day and walking.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    5 days lifting 45 - 60 minutes..
    4 days cardio (3 at 50 minutes and 1 at 1.5 hours, 3 of these days are on lifting days)

three weeks ago, I added in p.m walks 6 days for appox 30 minutes 2 miles.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Takes me about 2:15 to finish my 4 mile swim. I do that 5 to 7 days a week.
    Saturday I followed it up with a 45 minute spin class.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It depends....

I primarily cycle and I lift a couple days per week. I was going to do some cyclocross this fall and early winter but an injury in late summer laid me up pretty good and I'm in no condition to race at the moment...so basically my season is over and I won't have any events until late spring.

Off season is nice because I can just kind of chill and be flexible and less structured in my riding...basically I can just go out and have fun...I don't take things super seriously in season, but I do train and my training is far more structured...some sessions just aren't fun.

Basically right now I'm just going out and riding...I usually ride 5 days per week...most of my week day rides are about an hour and I like to get in a longer ride on the weekend if possible...I'm hitting around 80-90 miles per week at the moment...that will likely drop some as we get into winter.

I usually lift a couple days per week...usually takes about an hour. Also, since I'm not doing any structured training on the bike I can opt to do other things like go for a hike or something else. Hiking is usually an all day type of thing...looking forward to some snow shoeing this winter...and I'm also a down hill skier...might try some cross country this winter.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Bench day tends to be about 2 to 2-1/2 hours. That's mainly because we typically have 5 or so people working together. This past weekend we had 10. Bench (various types) and some lat work.

Squat day tends to be a little over an hour. Squats, (just added) ham-glute raises, and abs.

Shoulder day tends to be about an hour. OHP, rows, and volume bench.

Deadlift day tends to be about an hour and a half. Deadlifts, volume squats, and abs.

On squat and deadlift days - or the day after, which is a "rest" day - I'll ride the bike for a half hour. These times don't include the 1 to 1-1/2 mile walks I typically do during lunch.
  • madikasingersmommy
    Options
    With my schedule I can only work out after work and after the kids are fed so I do between 60 to 90 minutes mostly cardio with some strength. And it seems to work for me, for now.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    about 90 min a day, 30 cardio, 30 weights, 30 core or stretching
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting - 60-70 minutes x5/week
    Cardio - 25-40 minutes x1-2/week
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It varies a lot as my job involves a lot of travel and can be quite challenging to work around. Assuming a basic, planned, work week.

Monday - Cycle commute to the local office of 20-25 miles total so about 70-80 minutes
    Tuesday - Short run - Up to 90 minutes
    Wednesday Short run/ speedwork - up to 90 minutes
    Thursday - Theoretical rest day because I don't get back from work until late
    Friday - Cycle commute to the local office as Monday
    Saturday - moderate distance to long run 2-3 hours
    Sunday - Long run 2-4 hours

Saturday/ Sunday runs are intimately linked so it might be back to back longs, or it might be a short/ long

What I'll sometimes do is slot in a road ride of a comparable time to the planned run at the weekend. That helps to maintain CV endurance with lower impact.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I do weight lifting 3x a week for 1 to 1 1/2 hours
    Other days I do arc trainer or elliptical for 30-40mins
    I take spin classes here and there
    Rest day is usually Saturday
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    i don't find time 'goals' useful or motivating, come to think of it. i'm about 'give me something meaningful in real terms to achieve.' no matter how active i get, that's something i don't think will ever change. if someone handed me a bucket of time every day and said 'go fill this with [activity]' i'd have a hard time deciding whether to shoot them first and slit my wrists second, or the other way round. all the will to live just drains out of me in situations like that. so my stuff is all task-based, or i wouldn't do it.

for bike rides, i spend as long as it takes me to get where i'm going to. i ride for transportation, in other words. exercise is just a convenient plus. when i'm working somewhere, the round trip usually takes around 75 minutes a day.

for lifting, i spend as long as it takes to do the workout 'prescribed' for that day by the programme i'm on. and i do all the workouts prescribed for that week. in actual numbers, that's four individual lifts per week with accessories. a wild guess is that i could probably do each of them in less than an hour if i were watching the clock about it. as it is, i just like gyms so i hang out there much longer than that.