Pumpkin and sunflower seeds

Anyone have a good recipe for making your own seeds? I have pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds I want to cook and snack on

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    As in you have raw seeds and you want to roast them?
  • aronow4
    aronow4 Posts: 21 Member
    Yes raw seeds
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    I do my pumpkin seeds differently than most people, but damn they are good. Scoop out seeds and do not rinse or soak. I leave a nice coating of the goop on because I think that's where the flavor is. Toss all seeds with maybe a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt (use any seasoning you want, or none).

Bake at 350. I have no idea how long. Just keep pulling them out and tossing them around. When they are all golden brown, they're done. Don't leave the room! haha. I have burned my fair share!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    I do 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes. I sometimes spread them on a sheet and put them in the fridge overnight to help dry them out before baking.

Toss in a little oil
    Sprinkle with favorite seasoning:cinnamon & sugar, curry, paprika, garlic salt, cajun seasoning, taco seasoning, sea salt - really anything. Just keep an eye on any with sugar as they may start to brown faster than expected.
    Spread in a single layer on sheet pan, toss a few times throughout cooking

Some people do low and slow for better drying, but I'm impatient.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    I don't like the goop flavor, so I wash, salt when wet then let dry for a day or two. I heat them dry in a cast iron skillet on med burner tossing continuously until they brown & pop, just a couple minutes.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    I tend to leave some goop on, too - adds some nutrients, and sometimes flavor. But I let them dry for a day or two as well before roasting (I do the 350 F baking for them as well). We have done numerous recipes, but letting them dry a day or two tends to make the outer shell crispier when you toast it, just a really nice texture improvement, so we do this now for all the recipes we use.