Carrot or stick person

Options
I was just sort of wondering of the people who have had success out there (whether you've met goal or not, yet) who's a carrot or a stick person. To clarify, the carrot is the reward, and the stick is punishment. For example, I used to be pretty solidly a stick person, I posted pictures of the BLERRCH on my cupboard, fridge, and freezer. I hung my fat pants on my wardrobe as a reminder. I made myself look at my "before" photo every day and whenever I wanted, well, whatever it was. I feel like its effective, for me, and I was just sort of curious as to what other people's experience was. I guess the alternative is you get X when you reach certain WL or BF or fitness goals.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,713 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. Everyone has their own definitions of words and how they apply to them personally, so being a Libra my first reaction was that I'm a bit of both carrot and stick. But upon further thought, I don't intentionally "punish" myself in any aspect of my life so I guess my interpretation of the "stick" would be reminding myself of how much better I feel after I eat well and stay active. I try to avoid negativity so posting bad pics of myself wouldn't help me personally, but I know that it works for others.

I'll be interested to read the responses.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am a mixture of both. I give myself rewards for reaching goals but also turn to r/fatlogic on Reddit to stay in reality. I also believe in the BLERCH.

I am at my goal weight now, the temptation to revert to old habits that made me fat still hangs around. I am finding maintenance is harder than actually loosing weight.
  • Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    jrulo16 wrote: »
    I am a mixture of both. I give myself rewards for reaching goals but also turn to r/fatlogic on Reddit to stay in reality. I also believe in the BLERCH.

I am at my goal weight now, the temptation to revert to old habits that made me fat still hangs around. I am finding maintenance is harder than actually loosing weight.

I'll have to check into Reddit thing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm really either...for me, some really bad blood work pretty much scared the bejesus out of me...I didn't really care about losing weight, I cared about getting my blood work corrected and not leaving my two young boys fatherless in the near future.

I embraced the process...I embraced eating a better diet...I embraced (and fell in love with) fitness. That was more than four years ago and I've gotten everything under control now except I still require medication for my blood pressure and probably always will...dropping about 40 Lbs was a nice bonus to getting my crap together.

• timmkeller62
    timmkeller62 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Until I read some of the responses I was wondering why baby carrots weren't included. Then I realized you weren't talking about carrot sticks! :p I need motivation, a reason to do something, so I guess I'm a carrot person but rewards aren't my carrot. I needed a reason to quit smoking a long time ago and I needed a reason to lose weight now. My kids and GF are my motivation! I want to live long enough to see them accomplish great things!
  • Okohme
    Options
    Until I read some of the responses I was wondering why baby carrots weren't included. Then I realized you weren't talking about carrot sticks! :p I need motivation, a reason to do something, so I guess I'm a carrot person but rewards aren't my carrot. I needed a reason to quit smoking a long time ago and I needed a reason to lose weight now. My kids and GF are my motivation! I want to live long enough to see them accomplish great things!

I suppose my son is my inspiration, too. But mostly I'm a stick gal. :/
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am a carrot person. I will usually have a look at inspirational things, old photos of myself (at goal), photos of others, clothes I want to look good in, etc.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Hmm I don't think I believe in carrot or stick... reward or punishment... getting thinner is it's own reward. I'm motivated by reaching goals and enjoy progressive improvement. I don't need a reward for doing well and I don't need to punish myself when what I do is less than ideal either. If my behavior isn't getting me the results I want then I change it and do better.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I also feel I'm motivated at least as much by health as I am vanity- maybe a lot more so. I nearly died a year and a half ago... after something like that your perspective shifts a bit and it's not about trying to look like the pretty girls on Instagram, or trying not to look like the blerch... for me me it's about doing the best i can to feel my best and be as healthy as possible for as long as possible, because being sick and almost dying really sucks and I don't want that to happen again until I'm good and old (if I can help it).
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm the stick. Changed my scale to read "FATY"!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The carrot is how much better I feel and how much I can do now. The stick is going back to the pain & struggles I see to have at 300#. I guess I'm both. 148 lbs lost in 2.5yrs
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i don't think i'm either of them. both of them are about the future. so my issue with both of them is that to me they both feel like manipulation. it's just one makes a promise and one makes a threat.

it's kind of hard to explain why i do see that as manipulation even when i'd be the one doing it to myself. i guess i don't like treating my emotions (hope or fear, i suppose) as bargaining counters in some mental transaction. i don't like trying to influence myself by making deals with my feels. i'm fine with just realism. cause and effect is a thing that i get, so i don't mind adjusting what i do based on that, i suppose.

but anyway. i'm much more about 'do i want to do this thing right now'.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    What is the BLERCH???!? Help me I'm an old lady
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options

I'm a YOUNG lady, and I didn't even know what this Blerch thing is. According to Google images, it's this thing:
    xhbyqkh73ori.png
  • Okohme
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »

I'm a YOUNG lady, and I didn't even know what this Blerch thing is. According to Google images, it's this thing:
    xhbyqkh73ori.png

That IS the Blerch.
  • Okohme
    edited November 2016
    Options
    lg4kgwp02kwb.png

That is the specific Blerch image I use.
  • Sira125
    Sira125 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I enjoy the Blech as a reminder that thinking like that leads to being like that. I like 'The Oatmeal ' in general.

But I don't need constant external reminders to stick to my plan. My plan is pretty flexible. 1) Eat enough not to flip out and start unconsidered eating. 2) Plan ahead when I can. 3) Before doing something ask myself if I want to make it easier for that behavior to become a pattern. If not, try to find a way not to do it. 4) Look for ways to start behaviors that would be good to have as a pattern.

It is nice (somewhat) if others notice I am making changes, but I am uncomfortable with it being a big deal (for them).