Best workout routine for building extreme mass and strength

Options
Hi guys, I'm 23 years old and currently weigh around 120lbs at 5ft7in. I would like to bulk to 150-160lbs before cutting. I already have a muscular physique with low body fat but I'm fed up being the "wee guy". Any tips, workout plans or meal plans would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Did you already wade through the stickies under the "Most Helpful Posts" at the top of the forum? Good place to start your research.

ETA - except for the "my progressive picks" post. Why is this there? It is series of pictures of a guy on a cut.
  • DafyddDuprey
    DafyddDuprey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :)
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi there. You definitely need to bulk. At that height, you can gain 30lbs and still have a 6pack. If your goal is to remain aesthetic, I suggest a SLOW BULK (TDEE + 250 calories = 0.5lbs gained a week). That means you should bulk for at least ~60 weeks and then re-assess what you want to do (IMO 150lbs is still very light on 5'7").

Secondly, while you are bulking, you will have excellent strength and size gains with the right program. What are you doing lifting wise? What are your stats? If novice, do ICF5x5 or PPLPPL (novice version). If intermediate, do PHUL or PHAT or PPLPPL Coolcicada's version.

With that light a weight, I don't think your lifts are very advanced, so get on a linear progression and increase your compound lifts by +5lbs each session until you cannot anymore. You need size - my opinion is abs on a skinny guy are OK, but abs on a built guy are much more impressive.

Lastly, have a read at this article - I can tell you want to keep your abs, but also take notes of what he suggests for size and strength. On the programs I have listed above, you can keep abs during a lean bulk but you won't be as strong as someone who trains for 100% strength/athleticism which is fine... I am currently on a 'aesthetic, bodybuilding phase' and will switch over to strength eventually. They go hand in hand.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Hi there. You definitely need to bulk. At that height, you can gain 30lbs and still have a 6pack. If your goal is to remain aesthetic, I suggest a SLOW BULK (TDEE + 250 calories = 0.5lbs gained a week). That means you should bulk for at least ~60 weeks and then re-assess what you want to do (IMO 150lbs is still very light on 5'7").

Secondly, while you are bulking, you will have excellent strength and size gains with the right program. What are you doing lifting wise? What are your stats? If novice, do ICF5x5 or PPLPPL (novice version). If intermediate, do PHUL or PHAT or PPLPPL Coolcicada's version.

With that light a weight, I don't think your lifts are very advanced, so get on a linear progression and increase your compound lifts by +5lbs each session until you cannot anymore. You need size - my opinion is abs on a skinny guy are OK, but abs on a built guy are much more impressive.

Lastly, have a read at this article - I can tell you want to keep your abs, but also take notes of what he suggests for size and strength. On the programs I have listed above, you can keep abs during a lean bulk but you won't be as strong as someone who trains for 100% strength/athleticism which is fine... I am currently on a 'aesthetic, bodybuilding phase' and will switch over to strength eventually. They go hand in hand.

In general I agree with this however " you can gain 30lbs and still have a 6 pack" is a bit of a bold claim. Assuming optimal training and diet, you can expect to gain 50/50 fat to muscle. An additional 15lbs of fat will definitely hide a 6 pack.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

In general I agree with this however " you can gain 30lbs and still have a 6 pack" is a bit of a bold claim. Assuming optimal training and diet, you can expect to gain 50/50 fat to muscle. An additional 15lbs of fat will definitely hide a 6 pack.

Kind of a bold claim too, no pun intended...

Depends on thickness of abs, fat distribution, etc.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Agreed. I have lots of volume in my abs and they disappeared at around the 30 pound mark of my bulk (it was a very long bulk).
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Agreed. I have lots of volume in my abs and they disappeared at around the 30 pound mark of my bulk (it was a very long bulk).

I realise that my reply my have sounded hypocritical however if you look at the maths;

120lbs at around 12%, guesstimate from profile picture, (106lbs LBM) if you add 30lbs at 50/50 fat/muscle then that will put him nearer 20% which in my opinion will be beyond the realms of having a 6 pack especially considering his lack of musclular development.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I realise that my reply my have sounded hypocritical however if you look at the maths;

120lbs at around 12%, guesstimate from profile picture, (106lbs LBM) if you add 30lbs at 50/50 fat/muscle then that will put him nearer 20% which in my opinion will be beyond the realms of having a 6 pack especially considering his lack of musclular development.

Agreed that for his height and weight he would not have abs if he added 30 pounds. He's actually only two pounds from being underweight.

As for the OP's question: Meal plans are overrated and often useless, especially for bulking. Set your goal on here to gain half a pound per week and hit that calorie goal. If you stop gaining add more calories. I would aim for 120 grams of protein if I was you, although many studies show you could gain mass on a little less than that. Don't worry about eating "dirty" foods, just hit the goal.

Here's a link to a bunch of different training programs, look through them and start following something. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Biggest tip I have is to really put the work in when you are in the gym and don't be afraid to eat.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Perhaps I should clarify: OP is 120lbs 5'7". Even after 30lbs gained, 5'7" 150lbs is still skinny. Unless you were seriously underweight, I would not recommend gaining 30lbs. Regarding OP I am of course assuming proper nutrition and exercise (and cutting weight at end if too pudgy). Obviously you won't have a 6-pack for a hard/regular bulk, which is why I suggested a slow and steady bulk for over a year for aesthetic purposes, maybe with a cut at the end to trim excess gained fat.

The slow bulk is there for less fat gained, as opposed to "half the weight gained = fat, other half =muscle"

Again, at 5'7" 120lbs, the OP needs to gain a serious amount of weight - I would not recommend gaining 30lbs to someone who is of average weight.

Source: Am 5'7", 6pack starts around 160-165lbs, solid at 150-155lbs.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    The program doesn't really matter as log as you can follow the progression realistically.

You also must eat progressively relative to your weight gain and get plenty of rest. These three things are ultimately what is essential to gaining muscle and strength during a bulk.