Has anyone seen a therapist/counselor for weight loss help? Results?

Options
I've always been able to lose weight, I've maybe lost over 150 lbs in 4 years. My problem is actually keeping the weight off, and always returning to old habits. I know my problems, what I do wrong, and how to fix it, but actually doing it and keeping on doing it, I have always struggled with. I have heard about people seeing a therapist or counselor to help them mentally to achieve more weight loss and was wondering if anyone here has done that themselves and if they saw any different results by doing so? Basically wondering if its worth it to go see someone myself lol

Replies

• ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes I have. There was one person that was helping me but then she moved away stopped practicing. I am now in overeaters anonymous which has helped me the most and it is free. I just sit there and listen to the people talk. Something about it is so comforting and makes me determined to have a good week with food. You can google it and they have meetings in person or online even on the phone.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in school for psychology for just this thing.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in school for psychology for just this thing.

I'm studying to become a licensed clinical social worker, hoping to get into counseling/therapy one day :) But I need to fix myself and my eating habits first haha I want to work in a clinical setting.
  • hiyomi
    Options
    ds41980 wrote: »
    Yes I have. There was one person that was helping me but then she moved away stopped practicing. I am now in overeaters anonymous which has helped me the most and it is free. I just sit there and listen to the people talk. Something about it is so comforting and makes me determined to have a good week with food. You can google it and they have meetings in person or online even on the phone.

Oooh, I never even knew that there was such a thing! I'll look into this!
  • hiyomi
    Options
    hiyomi wrote: »
    I've always been able to lose weight, I've maybe lost over 150 lbs in 4 years. My problem is actually keeping the weight off, and always returning to old habits. I know my problems, what I do wrong, and how to fix it, but actually doing it and keeping on doing it, I have always struggled with. I have heard about people seeing a therapist or counselor to help them mentally to achieve more weight loss and was wondering if anyone here has done that themselves and if they saw any different results by doing so? Basically wondering if its worth it to go see someone myself lol

I looked into it and to my surprise there is actually a ton of these meetings in my area! I really did not expect there to be anything within 4 hours, since where I live usually lacks in health things like this! There is a whole bunch of meetings and I will be going this week to one! Thank you!