Why lift weights when losing weight if not to build muscles?

Options
124»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,138 Member
    Options
    onoudint
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

When you lift or do exercises that tire your muscles it breaks them down and the rich protien diet helps rebuild them. If you do not want to bulk up you do less weights and more reps... (That is what I do) If you want to be like Arnold was "Ill be back" then more heavy weight and less reps.

wuhwhat.gif
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    onoudint

^this
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    onoudint

oyesshedid!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    onoudint

ohnoyoudidnt.gif

Also, damn. She went there.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    OK bottom line no matter what you decide, lighter weights more reps or lifting heavy weights, a big part of the goal is to gain strength. Even if your muscle won't get bigger, you will be firmer and you will be able to move things or lift objects in your everyday life.

My mom, never lifted and never works out. She weighs less than me and wears a larger size. She also has lost height and has bone density issues anything that weighs more than 8 ounces is really heavy. She is going on 83, is completely healthy, but can't walk more than 2 blocks without pain, can't take a turkey out of the oven, nothing.

By comparison, my uncle is 90, he is active. He can lift the turkey out of the oven, carry his own suitcase, walk through an airport, bicycle, kayak, everything.

So long term, when you lift, you build strength, you maintain muscle mass, it helps with arthritis (yes the Physical Therapist and my Dr said so), makes your bones stronger and raises your metabolism. You also look smaller even if you weigh more.

Also there are studies now that suggest, back pain is relieved more by lifting and building up core strength than it is by just laying in bed. (long term if you have sharp pains, etc don't lift)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    onoudint

ohnoyoudidnt.gif

Wow. Wonder Women needs to build some muscles.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    onoudint

ohnoyoudidnt.gif

I'm actually inclined to agree. Linda Carter, while iconic, is not how I envision Wonder Woman. But I will say I think she wore the costume very well.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,138 Member
    Options
    onoudint

ohnoyoudidnt.gif

I'm actually inclined to agree. Linda Carter, while iconic, is not how I envision Wonder Woman. But I will say I think she wore the costume very well.

wutthe.doneven.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You can gain mucle in a deficit. I'm quite noticeably larger but much leaner.
    sure you are...

For those reading this. It _may_ be possible. but ONLY under 4 conditions

1) you're very fat.
    2) you're utterly untrained.
    3) You used to be trained, but are now untrained for long period of time. muscle memory
    4) You're on gear

And even then if these conditions are true, there is no guarantee. The simple fact is for most people losing fat requires a calorie deficit and gained muscle mass requires a calorie surplus. these are very opposing conditions.
    O rly?

I weigh more in the first picture
    764d429a55a6c0119d54a999c489d126_zpsa7ac78a5.jpg

I don't read that many threads here, but lately every thread I read has these legs in them. I've been ignoring them, but since they're practically the MFP logo, I'm going to hand out some honesty. The first pic looks better IMO. The 2nd pic looks like you're laying down on an unstained deck, and you totally forgot to work your calves. I wouldn't be so critical except you work them into every post like they're leg mecca. They're nice, and you're proud. Got it.

lol.....2nd pic has a more developed outer sweep to the quad, what does it matter if she is laying down? Calves are largely genetic, and extremely difficult to add size, so that comment is purely ignorant. Haters gon hate.
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this, too. I spent three months sick in bed a few years ago and have very little muscle mass, but I don't really see a reason to try to regain it until I finish losing my weight.

simply put -
    if you increase your muscle mass you will burn more calories and therefore lose fat better, focus on fat loss, not weight loss.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I don't read that many threads here, but lately every thread I read has these legs in them. I've been ignoring them, but since they're practically the MFP logo, I'm going to hand out some honesty. The first pic looks better IMO. The 2nd pic looks like you're laying down on an unstained deck, and you totally forgot to work your calves. I wouldn't be so critical except you work them into every post like they're leg mecca. They're nice, and you're proud. Got it.
    Lol so jellymadbutthurt
    4bde6f6ee4a1ffde707c9a40a9fec321_zpsa66afc11.jpg
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hmm..... You GAIN muscle MASS while eating
    LESS?
    Laws of physics disagree with you.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Well that escalated quickly