To log or not to log

I have guests coming down this weekend for a 3 birthday celebration combo.

There will be snacks and drinks. Do I log everything and regret it all? Or just have one day of indulgence, and start back up on Sunday?

I guess this would be a cheat day? I try not to allow them because I'm weak lol but for those of you with cheat days, do you still weigh and log everything in?

Keep in mind, I weigh everything now, but it's only me and my husband, I don't think i'm confident enough to weigh everything before eating infront of 5 other people..

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I log everything because I like to look back and have the information, even if it is an estimate.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    I also estimate and log.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    When I logged, I never bothered logging these kind of occasions...I knew I was going to overeat so I really didn't see the point and never could figure how that data would ever be of any benefit to me. Mind you, things like this were truly occasions and not weekly happenings.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Log log log. It's a slippery slope otherwise. Enjoy!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    I would log an estimate. I would also estimate and then add 400 calories. But that's me.

If I don't log anything, I would do that the next day and so on...
  • Just enjoy the day. One day off from logging will not ruin your whole effort. If you feel badly about it just try not to go over board.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I vote "not log"
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    To thine own self be true and all that. Think you'll agonize over it? Log it... before the guests arrive. Think it'll be fine and you can move on guilt free? Throw caution to the wind and accept the limited, if any, consequences and eat like nobody is watching.

The choice... is yours. And it'll be a good one either way.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Log it and enjoy the time with your loved ones. One day over will not ruin all of your progress.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Dano74 wrote: »
    To thine own self be true and all that. Think you'll agonize over it? Log it... before the guests arrive. Think it'll be fine and you can move on guilt free? Throw caution to the wind and accept the limited, if any, consequences and eat like nobody is watching.

The choice... is yours. And it'll be a good one either way.

^ Concur.

Entirely up to you. I've had days like that where I logged and didn't care that I went over - I knew it was going to happen and it didn't bother me a bit. I've also had days where it was tons of hor's d'oeuvres and stuff which was so much of a PITA that I didn't even bother logging it. Do whichever feels best to you and get back on the horse the next day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Portion control will be your friend.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    You are providing the food and drinks? You know exactly what will be there and what you will want the most. You can plan and pre-log what would fit your maintenance calories and just do your best to eat those amounts.
    You could weigh out portions in advance and know what they look like on your dishes. I know 113 g of cottage cheese fills one of my bowls to a certain line. I could get pretty close to that without weighing it.
    Stick to no calorie drinks, fill up on vegetables. Eat reasonable portions of other stuff.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    I personally would;

1) Decrease calories in the week leading up to it
    2)Increase step count/exercise/weight lifting volume
    3)Moderate your intake on the actual days and make "sensible" choices

• CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Thank you all so much. I decided to log. So I have tomorrow planned. Someone mentioned that seeing as it is at my house I do have more control and I know what to expect!

I've also cut back my snacks today to give me some caloric wiggle room for tomorrow if I do end up eating more than I should.

Thank you all so much for the great advice and wish me luck!! I have been losing 2lbs a week, so I'm expecting to lose 1lb. If I gain, I'll be pissed.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    edited November 2016
    If I gain, I'll be pissed.

I would get that mentality out of your head asap. It's just one week and you're going to eat more sodium/carbs/calories.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Thank you all so much. I decided to log. So I have tomorrow planned. Someone mentioned that seeing as it is at my house I do have more control and I know what to expect!

I've also cut back my snacks today to give me some caloric wiggle room for tomorrow if I do end up eating more than I should.

Thank you all so much for the great advice and wish me luck!! I have been losing 2lbs a week, so I'm expecting to lose 1lb. If I gain, I'll be pissed.

Your weight will fluctuate for the rest of your life. You definitely need to lose the mentality of being angry over a slight gain. You've got an entire life to live still. Are you going to be mad for the rest of your life if the scale ever moves up? You will mentally kill yourself, eventually, if you let any weight shift bother you.