ramen?

Options
2»

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Ramen doesn't have any special weight gain properties.

Tell that to the 2 packages of ramen I'd eat every night for dinner.

Ok, it might also have to do with the whole medium pizzas and containers of chicken fried rice I'd eat in the same day. :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Ramen is the bomb, it kept me from starving when I was poor.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    cosmonew wrote: »
    Ramen, in my opinion is for poor people who are starving and need loads of calories on a budget. The serving size is 1/2 the bag, (who eats half a bag of ramen,)

As someone who tried to live on Ramen for a month (because poor), I can assure you that it's not even good for that. After the first week, I'd throw up about 60% of it that I tried to eat.

I hear that

It'd definitely get tiring
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    Ramen, in my opinion is for poor people who are starving and need loads of calories on a budget. The serving size is 1/2 the bag, (who eats half a bag of ramen,)

As someone who tried to live on Ramen for a month (because poor), I can assure you that it's not even good for that. After the first week, I'd throw up about 60% of it that I tried to eat.

I hear that

It'd definitely get tiring

It wasn't even a tiring thing. The *kitten* was literally making me sick. Even after I switched to other food, it took a day or two before I could keep anything down. That was about 13 years ago, and I still can't even smell cheap ramen cooking without becoming queasy.
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't eat the crap. Too many decent carb sources out there that actually have some micro value. That being said, it's not going to make you fat unless you eat too much of it, but anything will do that. Just keep it in your kcals, and remember, the flavor packets in the stuff have a lot of sodium in them, so you could see some water retention if your weren't supplementing sodium during your vlcd.

That being said, you're probably going to see a fair amount of water weight anyway, assuming that your vlcd wasn't all carbs.

What he said. spot on. I make Ramen noodles once in a rare moon like when I have a cold - but I use low sodium vegetarian broth and add a ton of vegetables and a lot of kale. NO on the cup o noodles ramen, msg, chemicals galore and tons of sodium. Not one shred of whole food, just processed calories.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    is it safe to have instant noodles/ramen once a day when coming off a crash diet?

I had ramen today. I wouldn't eat it every day. I haven't had it for months.
    If it meets your calorie goal it is fine though. Ramen isn't a nutrient packed food choice but not dangerous unless you have a medical condition that requires you to avoid the ingredients in it. It is high sodium though so if you are suddenly eating a lot of sodium every day you might retain water more than if you chose other foods.

If money is an issue there are other cheap foods you could explore eating like dry beans, lentils, oatmeal, pasta, rice, eggs, peanut butter, bread.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Ramen is the bomb, it kept me from starving when I was poor.
    This thread actually made me look up some recipes for it. It's my next set of dinners after posole. :B

• not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options

There's the stuff you buy in the package and add water to. And then there is real ramen which is amazing and fantastic and if you have never had that, you are missing out.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    2 servings (1 package) of ramen is 320 cal. Easy to gain weight on it if you eat it often.

I always keep at least a case (24 packs) of it on hand for when I'm too lazy to cook. I usually boil it w/the seasonings but serve it "dry" which reduces (but does not eliminate) the excess sodium. Then I just add an egg and veggies/meat (usually leftovers) and it makes a complete meal of about 500-600 cals - well w/in my cal limits.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    This depends on how you make the ramen. :smile:

Ramen should be made as part of a whole meal.
    eat-ramen-noodles-instant-japan-_xte1.jpg

KaraiMiso.JPG

Now if we're talking about how americans make ramen:
    Top+Ramen+Shrimp+ppd.jpg

Meh.

Of course you can fit ramen into your goal, but i would recommend you add ingredients to make it more than pure carbohydrates and sodium. Add in some egg, some sliced meat (pork, chicken, beef, shrimp, salmon) or tofu, some greens like spinach, green onions, bak choy, cilantro, or nori, some fats like sesame seeds or chili oils, or other options of your choice. Play with it!

In my experience this makes ramen more filling and more nutritionally complete.

P.S. You can always put in half of the seasoning packet as well since it's a LOT of sodium. Ramen is one of my favorite foods on the planet (oriental maruchan OR spicy kimchee Shin ramyun).
  • Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    All this talk of ramen is making me crave some. Need to add it to my grocery list. Love that stuff.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You'll probably get bloating from the wicked sodium bomb, but ramen is tasty.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I had ramen--as depicted in the first pics--for lunch today. It's amazing. I have no idea how to log it for the day but I don't care. WORTH IT.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    This depends on how you make the ramen. :smile:

We have a ramen shop a couple of blocks from where I work in Chicago, that serves up bowls of authentic Japanese ramen with various meats and toppings -- like the bowls in your picture. A fantastic lunch especially in cold weather. People who only know the packaged kind you get at the supermarket are really missing something special -- and ramen's full of nutrients if you have it Japanese style. The eggs you can get at my favorite shop -- they're meltingly tender, the best eggs I've ever had. The real kind is definitely not "crap".

Only downside is the sodium -- I have to limit it to an occasional lunch because I'm on several blood pressure meds.