Body weight training vs Strength training

Options
I know strength training is always good for buildig, toning nd preserving muscle. But what about body weight exercises? Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises fall under the category of strength training.

There are many people who just use bodyweight exercises to strength train and preserve muscle.

The key is to have progression in your exercise to get stronger.

You Are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning, Nerd Fitness all have bodyweight routines. I believe Strong Curves has a bodyweight routine as well.
  • maeggggan
    maeggggan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    start out with body weight exercises and as you get stronger start adding weight :)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    bw exercises are great, look into trx or suspension training. you can do a lot with your own weight.
  • Pierre_is_a_cat
    Pierre_is_a_cat Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have been doing body weight training and using resistance bands (generally standing on them to create the resistance) for 14 weeks now and absolutely have seen muscle growth. :) I don't own a single free weight or machine. So, for what it's worth body weight exercises will get you results.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    All good. My order of priority: Compound movements barbells, compound movements dumbbells, body weight movements, last is cables/machines/isolation movements.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was worried if I did body weight instead of strength training I wouldn't results. And I'll definitely look into getting some resistance bands. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I started out doing bodyweight work and then moved into lifting weights. However, I still do some bodyweight work. This morning I did a bodyweight circuit for cardio. There is a lot of crossover so you don't have to feel like you have to absolutely choose one or the other.

Most of all, have fun and feel good :)