PCOS and Losing

Options

Replies

• srevans1102
    srevans1102 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

@kar328, I'm a more than a little jealous! I need to do the work to get to where you are but dang, I wish I had lost that much already :p@vickylosing, I definitely have started cutting back on baking, but I'm thinking about baking for work instead. That way I can make my house smell good without eating the calories and sugar that come with the smell. I was going to keep getting the generic sweetener at Meijer, but I think I will get Stevia. I didn't know about sweetener making it worse either!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    My OB told me to weigh myself at least twice a week. I feel like that's excessive.....and when I don't see a weight change I get discouraged easily. Am I crazy for not wanting to weigh more than once a week? Also, any If you please feel free to add me. I need some accountability! Lol

If weighing yourself twice a week is going to steamroll all of your progress, then don't do it. Sometimes weighing yourself too often can really be really discouraging! Especially for us PCOS women who's hormones aren't wired like other people.

Your self esteem is important, as is accuracy and consistency. If you are only able to weigh yourself once a week, make sure it is the same day and same time of day for the most accurate results. You could even program an alert in your phone as a reminder for the same weekly weigh in.

I find that I need to weigh myself every day in order to stay on track. I like the honesty and accountability of real data.

There is nothing wrong with that...or with weighing as little as once a week. Do what works for you, develop a habit and be consistent.
  • srevans1102
    Options
    So another question..... When I complete my diary at the end of the day, it says 'you would way (insert number) in 5 weeks'. How accurate or inaccurate is that?
  • kandy_canelane
    kandy_canelane Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My OB told me to weigh myself at least twice a week. I feel like that's excessive.....and when I don't see a weight change I get discouraged easily. Am I crazy for not wanting to weigh more than once a week? Also, any If you please feel free to add me. I need some accountability! Lol

If weighing yourself twice a week is going to steamroll all of your progress, then don't do it. Sometimes weighing yourself too often can really be really discouraging! Especially for us PCOS women who's hormones aren't wired like other people.

Your self esteem is important, as is accuracy and consistency. If you are only able to weigh yourself once a week, make sure it is the same day and same time of day for the most accurate results. You could even program an alert in your phone as a reminder for the same weekly weigh in.

I find that I need to weigh myself every day in order to stay on track. I like the honesty and accountability of real data.

There is nothing wrong with that...or with weighing as little as once a week. Do what works for you, develop a habit and be consistent.

Yeah that's totally fine. I weigh myself every other day because that works for me.

I just meant if it's a choice between weighing herself less often but staying on track vs bi-weekly weigh ins and feeling discouraged, maybe even to the point of giving up, then there is nothing wrong with once a week.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    So another question..... When I complete my diary at the end of the day, it says 'you would way (insert number) in 5 weeks'. How accurate or inaccurate is that?

I ignore it because you'll have days where you eat more or eat less and it's giving you a result based on if you did that particular day of eating every day for the next five weeks. Also, I do not log any gains ( I choose not to make myself miserable, although I know there's a gain) so it's giving me a result based on the lowest weight I've logged, which may be different than my current weight. Some people find reading that each night to be upsetting enough where they choose not to log out and have that message pop up.

As for weighing in, I've run the gamut from nearly every day to having scale free months. I've found I can get crazy with hopping on it constantly and try to wean myself off. Last month I let stressors build up, had a scale free month and the weight went up. So right now I'm doing it several times a week because I need to. My work schedule is weird, I work nights three times a week, different days, so I don't have a weekly weigh in day like a lot of people do. When I work a shift, I like to let the rest of that day pass, get a normal night's sleep before weighing in again.

• OrlaKane339
    OrlaKane339 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies,
    Loving this thread. I was 36 in Aug this year and was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18. I weighed more than 340lbs in June 2014 and made the decision to lose weight because I was desperate to have a child. It took me just over a year to lose almost 95lbs and then I finally got my miracle and got pregnant in Aug 2015. My precious baby boy is just 6 months old however I completely fell off the band wagon over the past year and I have regained all the weight I had lost. So now I'm back into it, I've lost 15lbs in 34 days and I have more than 120lbs to lose.

I know I can do this again. I agree with a lower carb diet, you still need the balance of some carbs in your diet, it's just about making good choices and also increasing your exercise.

The exercise aspect will be hard work to start because us curvy ladies are not designed for speed & agility but over a few months, you will bounce back quicker and quicker from each workout.

I can recommend interval training, it really gets the heart rate up and burns those calories off!!!!!

Looking forward to sharing this journey together and supporting each other.

Cheers

Orla
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS for over 30 years (I'm 50 now), though I wasn't diagnosed till I was in my mid-thirties--it seemed to be new on the radar then. And one endocrinologist told me I had a "doozy" of a case of it. From fertility issues and miscarriage to advanced hair loss--male-pattern baldness that led to a hair transplant, I've had most of the symptoms that can come with it. And that includes weight gain. I had one doctor tell me that "PCOS patients can't lose weight. The best they can ever hope to attain is maintaining." Well that doctor is wrong.

My stats:
    5'8"
    SW 300
    CW 205

It's taken me a year and a half and I still have 30 to go, but we can indeed lose weight. Lots of good advice in this thread, so I won't repeat it. But what worked for me...lowering carbs and weight training (lifting weights). Count your calories religiously (you will get better with practice) and don't go crazy low--I'm around 1500 right now--but some calorie restriction and staying away from a high load of carbs (I actually have cut out pasta, rice, and potatoes, and cut back on bread) will make weight loss possible. I think the weight training accelerates it.

Feel free to add me if you want. I love to help fellow PCOS ladies. You CAN do this.
  • srevans1102
    Options
    @kaneorla, what do you mean by interval training? I am quite inspired by your will to lose again!! Like you said, it is difficult for me to find a workout since I'm bigger. I tried jumping jacks the other day and had to stop because my knee was killing me! It seems like the the most I can do is a few pushups, situps, or jumping jacks. I'm not a workout-knowledgeable person at all, so I've just been walking for my exercise. Or painting my dining room, or playing piano. I'd LOVE to be able to swim for an hour each day, but the Y is so expensive.
  • JulieSHelms
    Options
    @kaneorla, what do you mean by interval training? I am quite inspired by your will to lose again!! Like you said, it is difficult for me to find a workout since I'm bigger. I tried jumping jacks the other day and had to stop because my knee was killing me! It seems like the the most I can do is a few pushups, situps, or jumping jacks. I'm not a workout-knowledgeable person at all, so I've just been walking for my exercise. Or painting my dining room, or playing piano. I'd LOVE to be able to swim for an hour each day, but the Y is so expensive.

Excuse me for butting in. I totally agree with @kaneorla about the interval training. Cardio in general isn't very helpful for losing weight (running, treadmill, elliptical etc). Good for the heart, but not weight loss. But doing interval training (HIIT--high-intensity interval training) does really work. I do it on the elliptical but you can do it with any cardio exercise. I warm up for 3 min. Then I start the intervals: I go all out as fast as I can for 30 sec, then slow way down for 1:30, then sprint for :30 and so on, for 8 cycles, then cool down for 3 min. 21 minutes start to finish. This with weight training I think is the fastest way to weight loss if you have your food calories under control.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I love all these replies! Makes me feel not so alone. Lol

My biggest problem right now is figuring out what has what in it (I learned yesterday that bananas are high in calories). I just started seeing a new OB on Monday, and she put me on a strict 1500 calorie diet. She said carbs should be low, but other than bread and pasta, I'm not sure what all is a carb, If that makes sense. She also mentioned low sodium. Is MFP Premium the only version that will let you track more than calories?

no, you can set carbs sodium,protein,fats......
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    what is pcos?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    kaneorla wrote: »

The exercise aspect will be hard work to start because us curvy ladies are not designed for speed & agility but over a few months, you will bounce back quicker and quicker from each workout.

Speak for yourself! I'm fast and agile--I can keep up with professional dancers half my age. I love exercise and don't really feel good unless I get at least an hour a day.

There is nothing about PCOS which should limit our grace, power or endurance.
  • JulieSHelms
    Options
    what is pcos?

PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome-- causes a whole host of issues with a woman's body, including insulin resistance which leads to a tough time controlling weight.
  • srevans1102
    Options
    what is pcos?

PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome-- causes a whole host of issues with a woman's body, including insulin resistance which leads to a tough time controlling weight.

It also affects your fertility. For example, I've tried for three years with no luck to conceive. Other women have tried for a lot longer either no luck.
  • srevans1102
    Options

Speak for yourself! I'm fast and agile--I can keep up with professional dancers half my age. I love exercise and don't really feel good unless I get at least an hour a day.

There is nothing about PCOS which should limit our grace, power or endurance.

PCOS isn't what limits me. My knees are what limits me.
  • OrlaKane339
    Options
    @srevans1102 - yeah my knees are killing me at the moment because I did stairs and a lot of high impact workouts last week, so I'm adapting to suit my pace and body for now. Just do high knees instead of jumping jacks for now or alternate lunges. So just try YouTube for the Biggest Loser workouts with Jillian Michaels, they are specifically designed for larger people and she offers a beginners alternative and can b done from home. Walking is great but I find I get bored with that so just move some furniture in your lounge and do a workout at home. Some interval workouts are extremely high impact and require you do things like burpees but I'm just too big for that exercise (for now) so I do mountain climbers instead. That's why the Biggest Loser workouts are so suitable for the bigger beginners.

I did one the other night and instead of using free weights, I just used some tins from my pantry, had the exact same effect. I warn you now, you better be prepared to sweat.. Ha ha ha best to have a towel & lots of water close by. Start with a 15 or 30 minute workout and increase as you feel you are able to. It's all about listening to your body and taking your time. Get the basics right and then build on it.

Let us know how you go!!!! Oh and if you don't know any of the exercises I just mentioned, just quickly google them, they are pretty standard. Good luck!!!
  • srevans1102
    Options
    @srevans1102 - yeah my knees are killing me at the moment because I did stairs and a lot of high impact workouts last week, so I'm adapting to suit my pace and body for now. Just do high knees instead of jumping jacks for now or alternate lunges. So just try YouTube for the Biggest Loser workouts with Jillian Michaels, they are specifically designed for larger people and she offers a beginners alternative and can b done from home. Walking is great but I find I get bored with that so just move some furniture in your lounge and do a workout at home. Some interval workouts are extremely high impact and require you do things like burpees but I'm just too big for that exercise (for now) so I do mountain climbers instead. That's why the Biggest Loser workouts are so suitable for the bigger beginners.

I did one the other night and instead of using free weights, I just used some tins from my pantry, had the exact same effect. I warn you now, you better be prepared to sweat.. Ha ha ha best to have a towel & lots of water close by. Start with a 15 or 30 minute workout and increase as you feel you are able to. It's all about listening to your body and taking your time. Get the basics right and then build on it.

Let us know how you go!!!! Oh and if you don't know any of the exercises I just mentioned, just quickly google them, they are pretty standard. Good luck!!!

Hubby is at work the next two days, so my living room will be turned into a workout room. (I haven't gotten used to working out with him in the house - we live(d) a very sedentary lifestyle......that is changing though!) Thank you so much for the tips!!!
  • OrlaKane339
    Options
    @srevans1102 - no problem, just message me if you need any help or have any questions!!!
  • OrlaKane339
    Options
    @azulvioleta6 - apologies that you misunderstood my comment. What I actually meant is that sometimes carrying a lot of extra weight can limit our types of exercise initially. Once you have built up a routine it is a lot easier to become "fast & agile". I certainly wouldn't recommend that for someone who hasn't had any regular exercise. Safer to start slow and figure out what works for you.

Also PCOS has never limited me in any way, just the extra 120lbs or so that I carry around every day.

So in short, push yourself but know your limitations. Thank you :-)
  • Sharoney123
    Sharoney123 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello i also have pcos and hypothyroidism. It has taken me a year to lose 40 lbs and lately i have been stuck. I definitely do best when i cut sugar out and artificial sweeteners -they cause me to crave sweets.I have had issues this week with all the Halloween candy! Ugh. I am not giving up though, hope to lose another 45-60 lbs. Exercise has helped a lot, i am much stronger and have lost a lot in inches when sometimes the scale isnt budging. Please add me as a friend ladies its nice to know we are not alone! It can take a little longer but we can do it!