Why does there have to be a gimmick?

Options
So yesterday when I was leaving work I was stopped by a coworker who asked if I had lost weight. I said yes and thanks for noticing. Then she asked me how, was I cutting carbs? I said no, I told her that I went on the Internet, calculated how many calories I need to consume to function for a day, took 500 calories off of that number and eat whatever I want within the calories that are left. I am losing average 1 lb per week. She then gave me a look that asked "what? You mean there's no special gimmick? How could that possibly work?" Then she said well good luck. I had this same experience with a friend earlier. I guess I am trying to understand why people would rather give the credit of their weight loss to something other than themselves? I don't know the experience just left me feeling annoyed and frustrated for some reason. Anyone else had this experience?

Replies

• scarlettsky7
    scarlettsky7 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It's harder for people to eat healthy and exercise rather than have a gimmick or quick fix/cure all.
  • scarlettsky7
    scarlettsky7 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think what they are really asking is how do you stay motivated? How do you keep exercising and eating within a calorie goal?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    ds41980 wrote: »
    I don't know the experience just left me feeling annoyed and frustrated for some reason. Anyone else had this experience?

haven't had it but it sounds like she just blew off all the work you did to get your results. she made it seem like it didn't count because it wasn't shiny or coated in glop of some kind. i feel like gimmick-hunting diminishes 'us'.

i feel that way when people ask about my bike commuting and then say 'oh i could never do that' in this dismissive tone. always feels like, then why did you ask if you're just going to blow me off? you could at least be polite about the time i invested in taking your query seriously.

• rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It's harder for people to eat healthy and exercise rather than have a gimmick or quick fix/cure all.

This. People want it to be some super easy, fast solution. Like, just don't eat chocolate on Wednesdays and the weight will fall off. When they find out it is actually a lot of work, they become less interested. I was the same way for years before I started losing weight. I knew I could do it with a lot of hard work, I just found ways to justify not doing it. It is what it is.
    At the end of the day, we should celebrate our own successes, and keep going after more :)
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had someone complement me on my progress and ask the same, "How did you do it?" I answered simply, "I ate less and walked more." He got this disappointed look on his face. I think for some of us when we really aren't ready to make a change for life, a quick-fix or gimmick that allows us to keep doing what we've been doing but miraculously (and quickly) get slim and fit is is the only thing we're willing to consider. I know that is what I wanted in the past decades of being overweight... to keep doing the same things I'd been doing but in a magically smaller body.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Just carry some prayer beads with you and tell them that you'll sell them your weight loss prayer beads. It enriches you and teaches them that gimmicks don't work.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    There's a simple reason for this: Most people are completely unaware of how much they are actually eating, think they are much more active than they are, and are not educated on nutrition, fitness, and weight loss.

They figure there needs to be some trick out there that they are missing, because they really "don't eat that much," when in reality they do, our perceptions of portions are just so screwed up. In the US, we end up with huge portions in order to feel like we are getting enough bang for our buck, and don't realize that what we consider one reasonable piece is actually closer to 3 portions.

We also assume we burn way more calories in our daily activity than we actually do, so they idea of trying to squeeze in more activity is daunting. And not getting proper education about these things means that we figure we are already doing everything right, there's just something wrong with us that we need a special gimmick or pill to fix (which we also probably owe to the healthcare system in part, at least in the US).

I don't let it bother me. Even MFP is a "gimmick" in a way, in that using the app aids people in weight loss and guides them on how to do it. I think that's what most people are looking for anyway, just some clear directions as to what to do. It's why certain programs are so popular - eat within these food limitations for this amount of time. Clear parameters and a clear timeline within which to see results. It appeals to us as humans.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well to be fair it's true that some people have to completely overhaul their diet if they want to lose.

I know people who 'don't eat much' but what they eat is bread and jam for breakfast, Starbuck drinks, then things like cordon bleu or sausages with mashed potatoes for dinner (and a small dessert). So yeah... might not be much or often, but it's all high calorie stuff that it would be hard to 'eat less of' without being hungry if you want to stick to a reasonable calorie deficit (which is why the whole 'just eat less of what you like' thing drives me nuts).

• judis100
    judis100 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @Alatariel75 you're a riot!
    @DS41980 what an annoying co-worker - I'd be irritated with her too.
    Since she didn't say it, I will: Great job - your hard work has really paid off!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    ds41980 wrote: »
    I don't know the experience just left me feeling annoyed and frustrated for some reason. Anyone else had this experience?

i feel that way when people ask about my bike commuting and then say 'oh i could never do that' in this dismissive tone. always feels like, then why did you ask if you're just going to blow me off? you could at least be polite about the time i invested in taking your query seriously.

On the upside..I've had occasions where people have prodded and kept prompting me when I've tried to be brief, asking questions and I know light bulbs are going off for them by the caliber of what they're asking. Rare but it happens. It's nice to watch the unfolding.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Oh, I get it. I've been that way most of my life. I think it's just human nature to want there to be an easier way. You can pack the pounds on so quickly after all. Most people think there has to be a way to get them off as quickly.

And most of the gimmicky plans that are out there feed on the notion of "we've all been doing it wrong and look, if you just do it THIS way, it'll all be fine again. It's based on science. Yeah, it's based on science."

So far, though, the only one who asked me a lot of questions about what precisely I've been doing was my GP and I think that was mostly to make sure I wasn't out there eating nothing but cabbage soup or paying some quack money. Once she found out it was the calorie deficit thing, walking, trying to not to go over macronutrient recommendations, and a lot of fruits and veggies, she gave me her blessing.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I get it frequently ..

Them: Wow, you lost weight, how did you do it?
    Me: Well, I'm on this radical new plan where you eat less and move more.
    Them: I'm being serious
    Me: Me too.

As far as the mentality that you have to give up the things you love to lose weight; There is an entire class of people that thinks that being overweight is a moral failing. Christian tradition considers gluttony and sloth to be deadly sins. Dieting can be seen as a form of atonement, and should involve a degree of punishment. These people need it to be hard, and to suck. For their souls.

And there's the people that want the easy fix too.

Just my $0.02
  • ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    judis100 wrote: »
    @Alatariel75 you're a riot!
    @DS41980 what an annoying co-worker - I'd be irritated with her too.
    Since she didn't say it, I will: Great job - your hard work has really paid off!

Awwww Thanks!
  • ds41980
    Options
    Tell them you lost weight by doing exactly the same as usual, but you suck on a pinecone for 30 minutes each night.

I literally laughed out loud
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. Everyone wants the quick fix, some miracle weight loss and when you tell them that you achieved your loss through hard work, diet and exercise then they are no longer interested. You can see the change in their attitude. Just remember that you are doing this the right way. I keep saying to my friends and family that I can't let my diet control my life. When things come up, I adapt my diet to what is going on in my life.

Keep up the good work!
  • ds41980
    Options
    I understand completely. Everyone wants the quick fix, some miracle weight loss and when you tell them that you achieved your loss through hard work, diet and exercise then they are no longer interested. You can see the change in their attitude. Just remember that you are doing this the right way. I keep saying to my friends and family that I can't let my diet control my life. When things come up, I adapt my diet to what is going on in my life.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you!