Last ditch effort... advice welcome.

Options
Hello,

I started my "life style change" back on October 16th as the result of the reality that I completed the "6 month insurance mandatory diet" for gastric bypass surgery. Having been someone who has struggled with weight all my life (and by struggle, I mean, I've gone from being able to run 5 miles in 30 minutes, to very huge, back to running shape... wash rinse repeat), I figured I would give the old diet/exercise another shot (and work on making it permanent).

Food

I set my calorie intake goal to 1200-1400 per day (achieved this all but 2 days so far). I've not really focused on any fad type dieting, but just focusing on low calorie, making sure that I eat 3 meals per day and at least 5 snacks per day. This means that my meals need to be roughly between 200-300 calories, and my snacks generally need to be under 100 calories. The only thing I drink that has calories is my morning Quest protein shake for breakfast. I have had to resort to drinking Propel occasionally because of queasiness after exercise (I'm assuming electrolyte imbalance). Any recommendations on alternate remediations welcome.

My new hated friend is "romaine lettuce".

Exercise

Being a natural extremist, I've started with using an elliptical trainer for 30 minutes a day for 2 days, then up to 60 minutes a day for 5 days (first week). I added one walk per day for about an 40 mins. Total daily calorie burn was approximately 500-700 per day.

Second week I went up to 95 minutes per day on the elliptical (the goal is completion, so slow and steady). Week 2 at 95 mins per day was roughly 900-1000 calories burned during the session. Adding 1-2 walks a day for at least 40 mins each burns an additional 400-600 calories. Total daily burn is usually between 1400-1700. I did take off 2 days for recovery purposes.

This week I am keeping the same amount of cardio, but increasing the intensity of the elliptical trainer to burn between 1100-1200 calories in a session, with a daily goal of being over 1500 calories burned per day. I had one day where I hit the elliptical within 30 mins of having walked and sweated profusely. Lesson learned: longer cool down time, more electrolyte fluids.

How am I feeling today?

My legs are pretty sore but the pain is tolerable. My feet are pretty much in a perpetual state of blistering (bad shoes), but the blisters are healing and getting smaller. This week I am feeling the amazing release from hunger that week 3 of dieting often brings, now I just need to remind myself to snack in between meals (lettuce here I come).

Progress

I started at 274 lbs and I'm down to 257 lbs. I've never tried a diet before that didn't consist of very low calorie intake (roughly 800-1000 calories intake). However, I am committed to a high quantity of low intensity exercise (more walking) to reach a higher, overall daily calorie burn. My goal is to be burning over 2,000 calories per day by the end of week 4 (2 x 1 hour walks on top of elliptical should do).

Thoughts?

Replies

• zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,712 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Look at the recommendations for .5-1 lb weight loss and go from there. Are you eating at least half of what you are burning? If not then DO SO!

If you are eating too little it can be as detrimental as eating too much. While exercise is good, going overkill on it will only burn you out faster if you don't enjoy it. Burning too fast will cause you to flame out as well. Think Tortoise and the Hare here. You want to win the race, so slow down.

At least that's what it looks like to me.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    That’s quite a bit you’ve lost in not very long, and I would second the suggestion to increase the calories. To my mind, it is better to aim for a target that is doable and acceptable, reducing portions just enough to make a diffetrence, even if that means a much slower rate of loss. The successful plan will be the one you can stick to, and I suspect you are on the road to struggling with the amount of exercise you are planning , and the intake you are thinking of.

Eat your calories back, is smaller meals and snacks work for you then do that, but for me I prefer three fuller meals and no snacks. You have scheduled eight eating experiences, but are hungry because you are not eating enough and fueling yourself properly. Please eat some of your exercise calories back, otherwise in a couple of weeks you won’t have the energy to do your exercise.

Also, find an activity you enjoy. You used to run, can you work up to running again if that is something you enjoy? Vary the activity and maybe incorporate some strength training.

Finally, don’t think of this as a last ditch effort. Last ditch implies giving up after that. Really? Is that the plan?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thoughts.... You're eating far too little so you're very likely to crash and burn soon
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    1200-1400 calories a day is not enough given your activity. That being said you could increase your calories to 1 pound loss per week and eat back 1/2 of your exercise calories and still lose.

As far as your activity there is no need to cardio to death or inflict pain to achieve your weight loss goals. Weight loss comes from calorie deficiency so even if you don't exercise as long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose.

Make sure you are weighing your food and logging everything correctly (no generic entries or homemade). Drink water. If you are feeling ill after a work out this typically means you need to replenish your calories or you are dehydrated. Lastly don't give up. You have done this before, but now you just need to make it a permanent lifestyle. Best of luck!!
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I read your post again and all I can say is SLOW DOWN, YOUR PANTS AREN'T ON FIRE! This isn't a do or die tomorrow thing. The reason you are yo-yoing from what I can see is that you go stupid overkill and burn yourself out. Small daily changes will win the race here.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had therapy? Your obsessive compulsive eating and exercise does not seem to be healthy, either physically or emotionally. Anorexia is just as bad as obesity, and just as likely to kill you.