How to gain weight in healty way

Options
People think that it is easy to gain weight by eating burgers, deserts, etc. on the other hand, there is big dilemma for me ,eating these foods might cause some diseases such diabetes, cholesterol, etc. Do you have any idea or comment on this? Thank you all :)

Replies

• VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Calculate the number of calories you need to maintain the weight you're at, then eat more calories from healthy foods than that :)

I'm currently trying to gain weight without counting calories, and some things that I've done are planning out my meals (three meals and 2-5 decent snacks) so I'm not tempted to skip meals etc. Introducing more healthy fats like avocado, nuts, and seeds are also great because they are higher calorie but also packed with nutrition- for a while I was making myself peanut butter smoothies with a banana, cocoa, chia seeds, vanilla, almond milk, and a whole lot of peanut butter! They're really nice and give you heaps of energy too. Also make sure you don't skimp on the carbs- I like rye bread and oats the best :)

Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    People think that it is easy to gain weight by eating burgers, deserts, etc. on the other hand, there is big dilemma for me ,eating these foods might cause some diseases such diabetes, cholesterol, etc. Do you have any idea or comment on this? Thank you all :)

The foods themselves don't cause diabetes. Diabetes is caused by obesity, inactivity and genetics. But if you are eating an overall healthy diet, and then incorporate some junk food, your health should be fine, especially if you don't over do it (meaning become obese or morbidly obese), you still exercise and you don't aggressively gain fat; so gaining .5 to 1 lb per week would be ideal.

Also, as a point of semantics, burgers can be very healthy, especially if it's not processed meat (which most companies are moving away from at this point). Either way, it won't matter how healthy your foods are if you aren't eating high enough calories to gain. And gaining is a process that needs consistency. The below thread can provide some insight into strategies and foods to help that.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

Personally, I would also use this opportunity to gain some muscle, by following a progressive overload program, like one found in the thread below. This will also help reduce the amount of fat gain and help preserve heath.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Also, as a point of semantics, burgers can be very healthy, especially if it's not processed meat (which most companies are moving away from at this point). Either way, it won't matter how healthy your foods are if you aren't eating high enough calories to gain. And gaining is a process that needs consistency. The below thread can provide some insight into strategies and foods to help that.

That's so true! My boyfriend and I make delicious lentil burgers with cumin and spinach- so good with avocado and veggies on a good bun :heart: Plus they're healthy! :smile:
  • FrankieFrench1
    FrankieFrench1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Just eat a balanced diet but add more, also don't deny yourself what you enjoy, no food is unhealthy just unhealthy quantities, I'd definitely look into iifym.
  • brizzlar
    brizzlar Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Oats - they are good for your heart, low.G.I and excellent for putting weight on.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    brizzlar wrote: »

Oats - they are good for your heart, low.G.I and excellent for putting weight on.

Oats are an excellent source of carbohydrates. I use them when dieting and losing weight. A calorie surplus causes weight gain.