How many calories do you gain per day through exercise?

Options

Replies

• elsesvan
    elsesvan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    and either way, 1 kg of muscles burn more calories than 1 kg of fat. That is a fact. So, lift something heavy from time to time ;)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm very new to maintenance after losing 70#. MFP gives me about 1600, then I consistently earn an additional 400-500 per day that I eat back. So, I'm eating, on average 2000 calories a day. It's been just a few weeks, but so far so good. I'm 5-7" and 150#s.

Edited to add: I only eat back purposeful exercise from my morning run (400 cals) and evening walk (100cals) as reported by my Apple Watch.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Usually between 400-800 calories... According to Fitbit
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Interesting responses, and good to see so many active people!

I have a concern though, I am supposedly burning 1000+ cals a day according to the fitbit adjustment (I believe about 60% is accurate just in case when it's that high) and while I eat I don't get anywhere near the total calorie 'goal' meaning I'm eating at a deficit almost daily - but I'm not losing weight. Not that I really want to but the fact I am not and am maintaining makes me worried that if I cut my exercise which I want to (in pain and as I am not an athlete, I do not want to train for hours a day) and eat what MFP/calculators tell me I will gain weight. Any advice?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    300-500 calories a day for the last 5 years from walking.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    shredcamps wrote: »
    Your BMR/RMR does not change after a deficit, its simple the amount of calories you would require to survive if you where in a coma and all your body had to do was stay warm, digest, pump blook etc.

What does change though is that as you lose weight your BMR drops, but thats because there is simply less of you.
    Your Calorie use during exercise changes as well, a 200lbs person needs more calories to cycle 1 hr than a 140lbs man does.
    As you lose weight your needs drop. this gives the belief that once at your target weight you need to exercise more to maintain because you need less calories its easy for people to over eat and start to gain weight again.

No, this is incorrect, adaptive thermogenesis is real so you will have an actual, although minor, decrease in BMR/RMR after a weight loss for a few reasons related to changes in your body to make it more energy efficient. This is just something you have to account for during your maintenance.

Of course, your last statement is correct and reverting to old habits, and not adaptive thermogenesis, is the real reason people regain.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    a 200lbs person needs more calories to cycle 1 hr than a 140lbs man does.

But if the heavier cyclist accepts a slower pace up the hill, the two of them can burn the same number of calories.

thats incorrect. basic physics. it takes the same energy to raise a mass slowly as it does to raise the same mass quickly.

it will always take more calories to raise 200lbs 100ft than it will to raise 140lbs 100ft no matter what speed it is raised at.

* In a vacuum; not considering air resistance or frictional resistance.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    miratps wrote: »
    Interesting responses, and good to see so many active people!

I have a concern though, I am supposedly burning 1000+ cals a day according to the fitbit adjustment (I believe about 60% is accurate just in case when it's that high) and while I eat I don't get anywhere near the total calorie 'goal' meaning I'm eating at a deficit almost daily - but I'm not losing weight. Not that I really want to but the fact I am not and am maintaining makes me worried that if I cut my exercise which I want to (in pain and as I am not an athlete, I do not want to train for hours a day) and eat what MFP/calculators tell me I will gain weight. Any advice?

I hate to be "that guy" but your diary is closed. how confident are you in your logging? How big is your perceived deficit? It is possible that fitbit is over adjusting for you but its also possible that you are eating more than you think or some combination of the two. All I can say is that I eat pretty much exactly (over the course of the week) what fitbit and MFP give me and I have maintained the same weight for 7 months. I do keep a 250 cal deficit as my buffer zone in my diary so that I can log lazily and go over sometimes but it all averages out.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    thats incorrect. basic physics. it takes the same energy to raise a mass slowly as it does to raise the same mass quickly.

it will always take more calories to raise 200lbs 100ft than it will to raise 140lbs 100ft no matter what speed it is raised at.

That would be true if there were no such thing as opposing forces.

Air resistance is proportional to speed, which means faster cyclists must overcome more resistance from the air.

Doing more work requires more energy (calories).
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Air resistance is proportional to speed, which means faster cyclists must overcome more resistance from the air.

Doing more work does. but as i tried to explain. a 20 stone person walking up a hill. will burn exactly the same amount of calories as that same person running up it.
    simple in the running, those calories are expended faster.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    miratps wrote: »
    For maintainers/former crazy exercisers, how many calories do you 'gain' from your daily exercise and/or just walking about?

For those who exercised liked crazy during weight loss but calmed it back when they hit maintenance, how did you do it? (I'm struggling with this currently)

I actually do more exercise in maintenance than I ever did losing weight because I actually train for various events...when I was losing weight I found it much easier to control calories just doing some light to moderate exercise.

I don't really know how many calories I burn...and it would totally depend on what the training protocol for the day was...I'd guess anywhere from 250 - 1,500...probably average is around 600ish, but I stopped caring about that a long time ago and I just follow whatever my current training protocol is.
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a very physical job. Tons of lifting and my Fitbit logs 15k-17k steps a day. Today I was just shy of 1000 calories gained.
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    ibboykin wrote: »
    I have a very physical job. Tons of lifting and my Fitbit logs 15k-17k steps a day. Today I was just shy of 1000 calories gained.

i had 4 hours chopping and constriction a few weeks ago. i think it averaged 460 per hour

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Doing more work does. but as i tried to explain. a 20 stone person walking up a hill. will burn exactly the same amount of calories as that same person running up it.

No, absolutely wrong. Running expends twice as many calories as walking per mile. Humans are not perfect machines and energy return on running is far less efficient than on walking.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@shredcamps

Different movements have different efficiency ratios so same distance running (when you are losing energy with the up/down movement) as same distance walking (where you have one foot on the ground at all times) do not burn the same amount of energy.

Here are commonly used formulae.....
    Net Running calories Spent = (Body weight in pounds) x (0.63) x (Distance in miles)
    Net Walking calories Spent = (Body weight in pounds) x (0.30) x (Distance in miles)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I exercise the same in maintenance if not more than when I was losing. If I didn't my TDEE would be low - I move more so I can eat more. If I didn't I'd be looking at 1500 calories or I'd gain - with exercise I can earn up to 600 extra calories a day :smile: .
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    250-500 but to me it's just bonus because without the exercise I barely stay within my calorie goal and go over sometimes.
  • BabyGrl726
    BabyGrl726 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I usually burn between 300 and 400 for 60 minutes of cardio and strength training exercise.
  • SteveHummer
    SteveHummer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If your trying to maintain your loss, a recent report indicated that individuals who lose 10% of their body weight need to eat 20% fewer daily calories than a person who naturally is the same weight. The national weight control registry study of 10,000 people who had lost at least 66lbs, showed that individuals who exercised moderately to intensely for at least 200 minutes a week, ate 1380 calories a day for a woman, and 400 more for a man, weighed weekly and tracked their food intake were able to keep it off for at least 5.5 years. The study also revealed that participants who stopped recording their food intake started gaining weight back within two months
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    300-500 on a workout day, depending on time/energy.