Hey guys, friendly advice needed lol

Options
I walk 6 miles every day and burn around 800 to 1000 calories a day, and eat 1,400 cal a day, how many calories should i eat to lose some weight? Is it safe to eat 1400 and burn 800 cal a day?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your height, weight, age? Do you use the food diary to log all your food, do you weigh everything on a food scale, do you check database entries for errors, do you use the recipe builder? Do you have cheat meals/day?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Impossible to say without more information. What are your stats?
  • melted_
    melted_ Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    5'7 210 pounds 19 Y/O i log everything i eat and weigh my food, i dont have cheat days but some days i go over calorie goal
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Using your stats, you should be able to eat just over 2000 calories a day to maintain your weight if sedentary [most people are].

Pretty much, eat less than this, and you'll lose. Try to do what is sustainable for you. Healthy, too.

Where did you get that calorie amount of burn for walking 6 miles? How fast are you walking, how hard is your heart pumping, etc? If you decide to walk for exercise, I would recommend one of those exercise trackers that goes by your heart rate rather than steps.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    For your height and weight you need to net at least 1,200 calories a day to prevent unintended side effects like fainting during a walk. So you need to eat more. If you don't hit that minimum by the end of the day (and MFP won't let you complete your entries for the day until you do) try logging a small bit of cheese (weigh it!) or something else at the end of the day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE now is around 2500. If you can stick to it, 1500 calories would make you lose 2 pounds per week on average, at your current weight. (It will slow down as you lose.) If you find it hard to stick to, eat more. You will lose as long as you consistently eat below your TDEE.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    melted_ wrote: »
    I walk 6 miles every day and burn around 800 to 1000 calories a day, and eat 1,400 cal a day, how many calories should i eat to lose some weight? Is it safe to eat 1400 and burn 800 cal a day?

What do you do to burn 800-1000 calories a day?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Mfp gives me 544 calories for 6 miles walking (2 hours at 3 mph). Unless you're also doing other exercise which is quite intense, 800-1000 sounds a bit high.

If you are burning that and only eating 1400, that's not very healthy. That means your body only gets 400-600 calories to keep you alive. The minimum recommended is 1200 for a woman and 1500 for a man, net (in other words, after exercise is taken off).

I would go back and do the calculation again. The first thing you need to decide is whether to use mfp's numbers, which is the NEAT system and means you need to log exercise and eat extra to compensate for it, or whether you're going to use a different calculator to find your TDEE, which already includes an estimated amount for exercise and would have you eating the same amount every day. In general, if your exercise is pretty much the same every day, TDEE is a good choice, but if you are inconsistent with exercise and need extra motivation to do it (like me) then NEAT may work better for you.

Whichever method you use you need to be careful not to overestimate the calories burned through exercise, it's a very easy mistake to make.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    Mfp gives me 544 calories for 6 miles walking (2 hours at 3 mph). Unless you're also doing other exercise which is quite intense, 800-1000 sounds a bit high.

If you are burning that and only eating 1400, that's not very healthy. That means your body only gets 400-600 calories to keep you alive. The minimum recommended is 1200 for a woman and 1500 for a man, net (in other words, after exercise is taken off).

I would go back and do the calculation again. The first thing you need to decide is whether to use mfp's numbers, which is the NEAT system and means you need to log exercise and eat extra to compensate for it, or whether you're going to use a different calculator to find your TDEE, which already includes an estimated amount for exercise and would have you eating the same amount every day. In general, if your exercise is pretty much the same every day, TDEE is a good choice, but if you are inconsistent with exercise and need extra motivation to do it (like me) then NEAT may work better for you.

Whichever method you use you need to be careful not to overestimate the calories burned through exercise, it's a very easy mistake to make.

Agreed.

Even when I was close to the OP's weight, I was only burning about 200 calories/hour. I walk 5 km (3 miles) per hour, so that's 400 calories for a 6 mile walk.